• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clsnodgrass

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking for some private land to take a few hogs. Possibly somebody that would like to get rid of the hogs on their land or somebody that is looking for a good hunting partner. Any leads would be helpful

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Likewise! Figured I could find a few farmers in the panhandle that I could pay to let me take care of the hog problem... most I have talked to have more problems with deer, or already have someone hunting the property.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just pay the dues on a lease that has hogs. About the only way to do it around here.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would suggest that if you have never been on a lease before,especially in NW Fla looking for hogs,talk to someone that has had expierance with a deer/hog lease BEFORE you start talking to or looking at the potential clubs. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    OThis is my opinion; other's may feel different or have had other experiences. 2015 will be my 3rd year hog hunting. I've taken 7 of them, so I have some experience, but not a lot. Maybe what I say will give you some ideas.

Yes there certainly are hogs in Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties, Florida, and more likely in the northern halves of those counties. However, overall, the place is not "over run" with them. I hunt at night; deer and hogs are out then. I'd estimate that for every 30 deer seen at night, I maybe see 1 hog. On my 13th trip, I got my first hog. This coincides with John B's experience of property owners having more problems with deer. I've also helped watch peanut fields for hogs. Deer, coons, coyotes, rabbits, possums, and hogs are eating the crops, not just hogs. I've been offered the opportunity to do a deer deprivation kill, but I had no need for the venison, so I declined. If the deer are close enough or downwind, I sometimes just "shoo" them off the field. I've let property owners know where the deer were seen.

If a property owner has someone with permission to be on their property, they've most likely built up a Trust with that person(s) and may be reluctant for someone unknown new. For example, I met a few times with a family near me. The wife of the family and I especially talked a while, with her getting to know me and my hunting philosophy before it was OK. She even baked me some cookies! I feel I am trusted completely by that family, and we've helped each other with other matters (if that family reads this, they know who they are!). I'm not saying do not try; I'm saying don't be surprised if the answer is no or maybe later.

I've run into property owners that have some hogs, but only the property owner hunts them.

Some things I've done to try and find properties to hunt hogs: I had some business cards made with name, phone, email, what we do/how we hunt, that there is no fee, and that all meat is donated or consumed. My immediate neighbor has many relatives with farms off Hwy 89. She contacted them to let her know if any hogs become a problem (right now, no known hogs on them). I've talked to the 2 large farms bordering my little hobby farm (only had hogs at my place 1 night about 4 years ago, just passing through). They hate hogs and will let me know if any show, but it's been a few years since they've had hog damage. One of them was the EREC Farm Family of the year; he has my cards and will pass the word to the farm owners he knows (I imagine he knows many). There's nothing like being referred by someone the property owner already knows. Offer hog meat; especially let the property owner know that he/she can have any of it they want.

I've talked to the feed supply place I get my goat food from. The next time I get more goat food, I'm taking in a thermal unit and hog tusks to show them. I'm talking to the peanut companies near my place. My goat breeder knows I hunt hogs and is keeping her ear out for hog problems in the Holt area. I've talked to the owner of a local tree nursery (they only have had problems with rabbits and squirrels). I've talked to a cattle ranch about a mile south of me (no hogs at this time; they hate coyotes though). One of my night hunting partners and I gave 2 hogs to a vegetable farmer who wanted a wild hog or two for eating...we now have permission to go on his property (he has hogs), and he'll let us know when he plants his sweet corn crop so we can "guard" it (even if one doesn't kill a hog, just the human presence helps keep hogs away). My 2 night hunting partners are also doing similar things to find places and get permission. I've started talks with a cattle, goats, chickens, turkey farm family that JJ introduced me to; it helped that JJ introduced me and that that family and mine both have goats. They really liked it that we give hog meat to families.

Get on the Florida FWC email list. The management areas have hog hunting outside regular deer season, and FWC will list them.

I can't give good advice on leases, as I don't have one and haven't needed one for deer hunting, but perhaps a member might consider inviting you as a guest. Many hogs are killed during deer season, as they come to the deer feeders. I do have a very good friend that has a club lease and took me 13 times before I got my first hog. It's kinda fun being out even if no hog is seen at night, but SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, ALWAYS know where your partners are, and know beforehand which directions you cannot shoot. We even have safety rules we wrote for night time hunting. We've passed up shots because we weren't sure.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I definitely agree there isn't an abundance of hogs in NW Florida. My lease in Holt has had them a few times... never in the daylight and never seen by a human.

e4d7476bb984667ab5f439732b91b07d.jpg

a38a61ab679431eb71683b5f6cdcf40e.jpg

ce431364931d8be512235416a2a22f25.jpg

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My boss owns 40 acres surrounded by hundreds more of untouched woods in Baldwin Co.. Gendoc put a pile of game cameras out there. Never saw the first hog. Neither have the guys that hunt all of the property around that section.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Bill,

He only had some automatic deer feeders with corn out there, took them down a few weeks before hunting season.

Now, if anyone needs Mocassins, we're your go to guys. We have an unlimited supply of really healthy ones to choose from.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,what I figured,he definately needed more STINKY. Fermented corn will do. Make up some buckets of it. Wet dog or cat food,anything spoiled that gives off a hellacious aroma. Get 'em coming then switch to corn or others that's not so damned stinky. I have a "secret" ingredient that I will sell you for $1000. ..... OR .....trade you for the TRUE story of Beulah Land BBQ.

North Baldwin has hogs. I have killed them up between Bay Minette and I-65. Got a farmer buddy over that way that "had" a problem with them. About 6 years ago I killed 20 something in a couple of months. That was the first time that I had ever hunted "never hunted" hogs. --- SAWMAN

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Sean, did Gendoc bait it up or just install cams. If bait,what kind and placed where and how ?? --- SAWMAN

we don't want them HAWGS.....on this prime whitetail spread !!!

if I did see them, we have gate traps....do you know what that is ???

we have used them up north Baldwin and even a few here in south baldwin around cord 32
    we are glad there not on here !! but we can overcome them.............:plane:

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gendoc beat me to it. I was going to say the idea was NOT to have hogs. LOL.

Bill, I'll PM you the Beulah land BBQ story for free. Thanks for the hog Bait recipe offer but I'll pass. If you have one that will draw in cheerleaders I'll pay top dollar.:evil:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Gendoc, you are not the only deer hunter that thinks that way and I understand. I personally would not be on a lease without them and year round meat hunting, guess I am spoiled able to hunt 24/7/365. You are indeed fortunate if you do not have hogs on a lease as they are almost everywhere and they are growing the population faster than they can be trapped and hunted. I have many deer leases over this way that let us hunt off deer season to kill the hogs, do deer counts and provide some security and eyes on the properties at night.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand, our off season hunting is for kiyotes that harm the young fawns when they hit the ground !!!

I have seen kiyotes watch the birthing of fawns and waiting to grab them.....if that don't piss you off....what does !!!

BTW....kiyotes = coyotes for all that don't speak southern bama :smokin:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah, every deer lease needs to have calling, day and night parties to get rid of the coyotes, they are very hard on our Turkey and quail population as are the coons and bobcats.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got coyotes at the airport. Haven't shot one yet but I may start concentrating on trying to nail them.

Did you ever see any at the Seminole property John?

Top Bottom