• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm about to do a small budget build on a new M&P 15 sport that I got for $500. this is my second AR and my first I left it stock and just added the BAD lever. even though I write left handed I prefer to shoot left handed but am cross dominant with my left eye. I prefer left handed also because I'm able to physically see the ejection port, gravity is on my side when I'm clearing a malfunction and I just reach over with my right hand to pull the charging handle.

For the left handers is there anything else to do besides add an ambi safety and mag release? Is my shooting left handed while being right eye dominant going to hurt me at all in the long run? when I first used the m16 at work I shot right handed. It never felt right and I was slower but I was always on target.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It really depends on what you are comfortable with, I am right handed and left eye dominate so I prefer long guns Lefty, but I just got myself used to brass shooting across my face. Except with my Stag Arms Lefty rifle. You can train yourself either way. You are your own Master....

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a lefty I started using ambi charging handles as well since the Rainier and BCM have come out.
    I had a lot of crosseye dominant students and it doesn't mess them up. There are some very good shooters who are cross dominate and it doesn't seem to affect them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    when i do my malfunctions i rotate the rifle with the ejection port down. I don't move my left hand and i reach over and grab the left side of the charging handle to charge. I don't know if that's bad business to only get half the charging handle.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    when i do my malfunctions i rotate the rifle with the ejection port down. I don't move my left hand and i reach over and grab the left side of the charging handle to charge. I don't know if that's bad business to only get half the charging handle.

I reached across like that for 30 years I've never had an issue. The ambi handles help when shooting prone, but other than that.......

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Im lefty with right eye dom but still shoot lefty. I have a rock river left handed operator elite I absolutely love it no brass or powder eating up my right arm now. You can put a reflex sight and use it with both eyes open to train your left eye on it I havent had any problems yet

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im lefty with right eye dom but still shoot lefty. I have a rock river left handed operator elite I absolutely love it no brass or powder eating up my right arm now. You can put a reflex sight and use it with both eyes open to train your left eye on it I havent had any problems yet

I actually ordered a reflex yesterday so we'll try that out. I haven't experienced any brass but the powder became a small issue when I shot some 30 year old ammo on sunday... thanks for the help. I've looked at the leftie uppers but i got the sport for $500 which is a steal so i'll just adjust to it.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

As a lefty (hand and eye), I do the exact same. This allows gravity to assist in clearing malfunctions. Your setup is exactly the same as me. I use a Troy ambi mag release, BAD ambi selector and a bad lever. The bad lever is optional for a lefty in my opinion, but makes reloads slightly faster for a lefty. I personally believe that lefties have unique advantages with ARs since they can see the ejection port and thus have advantages in malfunction clearing.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do feel that the lefties have an advantage for the same reasons you said. I feel more comfortable shooting my XDS right handed for some reason(glocks all feel better left handed) so when I transition from rifle to handgun it's a pretty easy transfer. I guess i'll continue to go with what feels good. when I had my g27 I had a right and left handed holster.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the unique things I like about shooting handguns left handed is that the right side of the handgun is clear or any protrusions such as slide locks and levers. On my Glock and Sig it allows a closer tighter grip. Also, I like how the trigger finger can easily manipulate the slide release on most handguns better than a thumb.

I think that lefties have great advantages with even bolt action rifles as well. With a bipod, one can use their left hand to work the trigger and their right to work the bolt. This method is super fast and many righties use it. Of course it seems like the con of being a lefty is that there's some unique disadvantages too.

Top Bottom