• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about some day soon one of you knowledgeable guys doing a class on scopes? I mean teaching the basics, sighting in, various kinds of scopes, adjustments for elevation and windage. Stuff like that. I know that subject isn't something that can be taught in a couple of hours and it takes years to be a sniper but just the general stuff, considerations and how to use one properly would be great.

I for one don't know nothing more than what end to look through. I see discussions on here about all other aspects of shooting but not much about this. I would rather someone with training start me off on the right track.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you have any particular questions, Sean? I'm not nearly as versed as some, but I'll be happy to try to answer your questions.

If you'd like, we can format this thread like the Reloading Experts thread. Anyone can feel free to post a question and anyone can chime in with the answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks- I will check it out.

I was just wondering- does anyone on the site shoot the ARA bench rest matches at Pensacola Rifle & Pistol?

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have any particular questions, Sean? I'm not nearly as versed as some, but I'll be happy to try to answer your questions.

If you'd like, we can format this thread like the Reloading Experts thread. Anyone can feel free to post a question and anyone can chime in with the answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If he will allow it, I have the paper material from the PR class I can scan and upload. From bowhunter6pts class i should add.

And Im no expert but Ill try to answer some questions. Been LR shooting for years, compete, rtc.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If he will allow it, I have the paper material from the PR class I can scan and upload. From bowhunter6pts class i should add.

And Im no expert but Ill try to answer some questions. Been LR shooting for years, compete, rtc.

Hey stranger.... share what you want I got it from a site called Shooting Voodoo but it seems the site no longer exists.

Hit me up some time...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP is not a quick data dump subject. Your scope primary use will drive scope features you need. There have been several detailed articles published in the last few years that are good reads. I'll dig up some links.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get started. These references do not include electro-optics and or detail on tactical scopes.

Scope 101 text and two vids
    http://www.theriflescopestore.com/howtochsc.html

A bit more in depth, 15 Sections.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-a-riflescope.html

A very important issue often confused is scope First Focal Plane and scope Second Focal Plane. This "choice" is unknown to the majority of scope buyers! Vid format makes it simple.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/first_vs_second_focal_plane

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Anyone interested in a file containing a very good article about scopes, send me an e-mail Bob@Signal-0.com and I'll send it to you.

It is an article entitled The Riflescope by Ian Kenny. I got it from Shooting Voodoo some time ago and had their permission to copy and use it in my Precision Rifle classes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have shot a couple of the BR-50 matches out at the club just for fun. I was braggin' on my Ruger 10/22 one day and they convinced me to "join in". Needless to say I did not even come close to competing. My highly tricked out 10/22 will shoot one ragged hole groups at that range. It is just that the holes are quite a bit more ragged than theirs.

The guys out there are pro's. It is a FUN match. Lots of trash talkin' ... however ... most,if not all of the old timers,can quite easily back it up. They all shoot tiny little one hole groups and use the Ely super expensive ammo. There is a dedicated range for the matches and it is set up specifically for their style of shooting. Extremely well done and safe.

I have not seen the guys shooting in some time now. It could just be because the price of 22 ammo has gone thru the roof or the "season" has ended.

Contact the club for details. I suspect you have to be a member to shoot a match but am not really sure of that. --- SAWMAN

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess they will laugh at my Marlin bolt action. The matches are open to the public and held on Friday mornings so I was going to try and make a few of the matches over the holidays. Just need a scope, scope rings and a bench rest. I shot small bore in college so it should be fun.

Top Bottom