• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know we have a few instructors on here so is this a common thing these days? I learned in another discussion there is evidently a service where the instructor comes to the student's house and gives a little introductory Handgun 101, shows them various different models, and then has the student fire a few paintball rounds. What's the going the rate for something like this?

Not a bad idea from the instructors point of view I suppose. No range rental, expensive ammo, liability insurance, wear & tear on his firearms, etc. Might be a nice source of income for you guys. Get a group of curious women together kind of like a Tupperware party except for handgun introduction. Group of 15 to 20 at $25 bucks per head could be a profitable evening! Money is not an object when talking about self-defense and one's life right?

When is the next NRA instructor's course? Or heck, I don't guess it's necessary if the "students" are not getting a certificate to meet CCW training requirements. To heck with Amway, Herballife, and all that. Slap on some Acqua di Gio, charming smile, a little innocent flirting and start counting the cash. Throw a magnet sign on the truck and it's a business expense at 56.5 cents per mile. For the right individual this thing's got potential!

Noggin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I doubt that would go over very well for NRA Instructors..

quote from NRA Instructor Policy:

"If NRA’s name or your NRA credentials are associated with a course, you must, among other things, actually work with the students, face-to-face, to allow you to
    evaluate whether they perform the safe operation of a firearm, and shoot with a sufficient level of skill."

And since a paintball gun isn't technically a firearm, an NRA Instructor teaching a class like that (if they advertised they were NRA Certified) could get them dropped as an instructor.

Now, if someone wanted to do that who wasn't affiliated with the NRA as an instructor, then I guess it could work, but you just don't get the same experience unless you are training with something
    would actually be using in a defensive situation.

Just my 2 cents...

Gulf Coast O

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We offer an in home course but it is not what is described as above. We do not train folks with paintball guns, you will not defend your home with one. In home defense is a serious issue, especially from a safety standpoint, I would be weary of a tupperware like atmosphere.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If "money is not an object when talking about self-defense one's life", then spend the extra time and money...use a course that utilizes real world application. My 2 pennies worth...

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious. Seems there is a NRA "certified" instructor lurking behind every bush these days. I'm pretty sure I could get my Yellow Lab a NRA teaching certification as long as I sent in a check for him. I think in some instances people are being taken to the bank for the most basic of "training" that a lot of folks without the coveted NRA certification would probably teach them for free. Just an observation and opinion on my part and probably not worth much. If these guys aren't even offering a decent collection of guns to actually shoot and a private place with no restrictions on rate of fire, drawing from a holster, etc it hardly seems worth it to me.

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fletch,
    If you haven't been certified as an instructor you really have no idea what it takes to become NRA certified. I offer different courses based on the level of proficiency for each individual student. For example, if you are experienced in handguns and want to obtain your CCW permit I offer a class for that. You must attend a classroom session and then prove that you are capable of using YOUR handgun safely at a firing range with live ammunition. For the CCW class I do not provide the handgun or ammunition; I find it more effective for the student to use the firearm they intend to carry. As for students that are not very familiar with firearms I teach a completely different class for them. That class is a NRA class that the NRA has put together and I think is an excellent training course. Although the course takes much longer than the CCW class, I highly recommend novice students consider that course (even if it isn't my class!). You will recognise that particular course by the way it is advertised. The "NRA Basic Handgun" course will include "NRA" in the description. I do not offer in-home classes. The classroom portion of my classes are given in a conference room near the gun range where we then go to do the live firing. I take my certification very seriously as do most NRA Certified Instructors. I'm sure you can find a fly-by-night person to basically "go through the motions" by I don't think you will find them on GCGF. If you do find one I recommend you avoid that "instructor" if you are serious about training.

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fletch,
    If you haven't been certified as an instructor you really have no idea what it takes to become NRA certified. I offer different courses based on the level of proficiency for each individual student. For example, if you are experienced in handguns and want to obtain your CCW permit I offer a class for that. You must attend a classroom session and then prove that you are capable of using YOUR handgun safely at a firing range with live ammunition. For the CCW class I do not provide the handgun or ammunition; I find it more effective for the student to use the firearm they intend to carry. As for students that are not very familiar with firearms I teach a completely different class for them. That class is a NRA class that the NRA has put together and I think is an excellent training course. Although the course takes much longer than the CCW class, I highly recommend novice students consider that course (even if it isn't my class!). You will recognise that particular course by the way it is advertised. The "NRA Basic Handgun" course will include "NRA" in the description. I do not offer in-home classes. The classroom portion of my classes are given in a conference room near the gun range where we then go to do the live firing. I take my certification very seriously as do most NRA Certified Instructors. I'm sure you can find a fly-by-night person to basically "go through the motions" by I don't think you will find them on GCGF. If you do find one I recommend you avoid that "instructor" if you are serious about training.

Agreed.....

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fletch,

Not exactly a high standard to see someone fire a couple of slow controlled rounds at the range, which is partly why I think the whole thing is a sham with the gun show course being the biggest joke of all. I assert that the permitting process is actually unconstitutional. It's a big unnecessary bureaucracy at the state level that is a waste of tax payer money. I like how you capitalized "YOUR" gun. Makes sense on the surface but that would imply they have only been proven competent with that firearm. What if they get a new gun that has a completely different manual of arms? Using that logic leads to the BS that is California's permitting laws.

IF you don't have a corrupt liberal Sheriff and can get one, it's only good for up to 3 guns you have "demonstrated" proficiency with. Everyone law abiding citizen has the right to carry a firearm for personal protection and shouldn't have to pay some NRA "instructor" and the state money to exercise that right. I have my permit because I am a law abiding citizen but don't agree with it. Why should a law abiding tax paying citizen have to fork over more money to exercise his or her indelible right? More job security for government employees and licensed instructors but it's a big pile of Horseshit imo.

Last edited:

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Re:
    Everyone law abiding citizen has the right to carry a firearm for personal protection and shouldn't have to pay some NRA "instructor" and the state money to exercise that right.

You and I agree that all law abiding citizens have the right to carry a firearm. With that right also comes responsibility... Resopnsibility to know how to use the firearm safely and when the law allows them to use the firearm. That's what I'm here for - to teach law abiding, responsible gun owners. Law or no law, responsible people wouldn't arbitrarily decide to carry a firearm they don't know how to safely use.
    As for the licensing issue, there are a couple of ways to look at it. Yes, the state does receive money for the licensing process but they have time invested in background checks, the physical license etc. The argument against would be that bad guys don't get CCW permits to go commit their crimes. Either way, this is the world we live in and like it or not, the law is the law. Like you, I am a law abiding citizen and will use my license to lawfully carry a firearm to protect myself, family and loved ones and until the law changes I will continue to teach others to do the same.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If someone wants to pay for training I say great and it might be a good idea but it shouldn't be mandated. Some folks may not have the money and that shouldn't preclude them for carrying for protection. If someone has access to an internet connection they can get all the info they need for when the law allows the use of a firearm. Gutmacher's book: Florida Firearms law, use & ownership is a great resource for people in this state and all one really needs on that. Here's the website for anyone inerested: http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

I just think the resources are out there for a competent person to figure out how to carry a firearm safely without expensive "professional" instruction. How many of us really need to pay to be told a gun is dangerous and other self-evident common sense stuff. Idiots will be idiots whether they take a course or not. Like the guy in Ft. Walton that discharged his weapon taking a crap in the Starbucks bathroom for example. If they do something stupid with it they will be held accountable by criminal and possibly civil law.

"The argument against would be that bad guys don't get CCW permits to go commit their crimes."

This makes about as much sense as the gun free zones. Bad guys wouldn't get CCW permits to go commit crimes anyhow. There could be no permits and nothing would change. Good guys would still carry guns and only use them lawfully in self defense. Bad guys will still carry guns and commit crimes with them. Useless government bureaucracy that serves no useful purpose and accomplishes nothing much more than taking money from citizens.

I'm not advocating against training in general. No doubt that more advanced training would greatly increase someone's chances of surviving a violent encounter. Just not a fan of a financial barrier being put in place for the right to carry based on safety concerns when some of the courses they accept are such a joke anyhow.

Last edited:

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RE:
    I'm not advocating against training in general. No doubt that more advanced training would greatly increase someone's chances of surviving a violent encounter. Just not a fan of a financial barrier being put in place for the right to carry based on safety concerns when some of the courses they accept are such a joke anyhow.

We agree again! That's why I provide quality courses at a resonable prices. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Top Bottom