• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

woodman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As the title says, I went in Gulf Coast Guns (Wednesday the 22nd AM) with cash in my pocket to buy a rifle that I had looked at the day before and I was totally ignored. They weren't busy either, mostly just bsing among themselves. Wasn't even greeted at the door. I walked all through the store, even took the rifle off of the rack, worked the bolt, removed the magazine, and still no sales person .First time for everything I guess. I walked in with full intentions of buying it, but I walked out with not a single person saying anything to me, and left. And no, I don't expect to be fawned over, but when almost no one is in the store it would be nioe to be approached to see what I needed. So, if you're looking for a Ruger American in .556/223 it's still hanging on the wall, lol.
    Seriously great people buy all my guns there you might letem know you wanted to buy a gun.
    As the title says, I went in Gulf Coast Guns (Wednesday the 22nd AM) with cash in my pocket to buy a rifle that I had looked at the day before and I was totally ignored. They weren't busy either, mostly just bsing among themselves. Wasn't even greeted at the door. I walked all through the store, even took the rifle off of the rack, worked the bolt, removed the magazine, and still no sales person .First time for everything I guess. I walked in with full intentions of buying it, but I walked out with not a single person saying anything to me, and left. And no, I don't expect to be fawned over, but when almost no one is in the store it would be nioe to be approached to see what I needed. So, if you're looking for a Ruger American in .556/223 it's still hanging on the wall, lol.

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can find a full range of customer experiences at gun shops throughout the area. I have had generally good experience at GCG except one occasion got some attitude from a young clerk, but I wrote that off as a young fellow who had not finished growing up. But I don't think I ever went in there when someone didn't greet me and ask if they could help me.

I had an experience at Bass Pro Shops gun counter a few years back where the clerks studiously ignored me for about 10 minutes. I was there to buy a high-end knife and just needed someone to take it out of the case and ring it up but could not get anyone to sell it to me. I spoke to the store manager on the way out and told him about it and he told me it was company policy that even if the clerks are really busy, they are to at a minimum acknowledge the customers who are waiting. The manager tried to give me a gift card but I told him to keep it, that is not why I brought it up.

I used to teach a course in quality customer service and collected many stories of bad customer service. Everyone has examples. Think about how it makes you feel toward the business when you get bad service. A person who receives poor service from a retail establishment will tell at least 10 others about their miserable experience. Get enough of those and it will hurt your business over time.
    Some folks are well suited for contact with the public-Chick Fil A has figured out how to attract and hire them. Some folks should have no contact with the public-that guy at Jay's is an example. I wonder how much business he cost them over the years.

Gun shops have been riding a wave of great business and profits for several years. That wave will not last forever. Customers will remember the shops that treated them right and will remember those that gouged them. I don't mind them making a profit but resent being gouged. Shop owners would do well to train their employees and set their price structure with a view to the future if they intend to be in the business for the long haul.

Welsh72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you notify the manager or owner? I'm sure they would like to know.

Last edited:

Welsh72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I work in specialized retail and it seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes you try to help people and thet just want to be left alone. Sometimes you leave them alone and they want to be helped. I understand the desire to be greeted when you walk into a place, but to leave without buying what you wanted and to not ask for help is utterly ludicrous. Look, we all have off days, and maybe this was yours and theirs at the same time. If you had stated that you asked for help and no one was interested, I would totally get that. If they were just rude in how they responded to you, I would totally back you up. You say you weren't greeted? Geez I got no help for you man. I've been in most gun stores around here and I would kill for a gun store of that size and selection in Fort Walton Beach. I've been in Jimm's and Jay's and been ignored twice, but I'll still go back because they both have a decent selection and I'm not overly sensitive. We got way bigger issues in the gun industry today than "no one said hi to me". I'm sorry if I sound too aggressive, and I truly don't know anything about you, but Mom-and-pop retail places get nailed on Google reviews for crap like this all the time, and it's got to stop. We need to grow a thicker skin or don't leave the house.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Preach it brother! Very well said.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I will say Jimmys in FWB is great. My only problem is it's in FWB and not closer to Pensacola.

But every time I'm over there I try to swing in and at least buy a Blue Label Glock if I haven't bought my 2 for the year yet.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just some random thoughts after reading this. Makes me wonder if the poster also doesn't pump gas unless greeted first or even groceries for that matter. I get greeted all the time at the checkout line maybe the poster should try that? God forbid he ever go deaf in life, might not be able to ever buy anything ever again without that ever important verbal exchange that reinforces that is safe and ok to do business here. Ok my thoughts are over now.

I did go in there once to buy a AR lower once but the prices were very high. After being greeted by several employees and chatting a bit I left empty handed.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Just some random thoughts after reading this. Makes me wonder if the poster also doesn't pump gas unless greeted first or even groceries for that matter. I get greeted all the time at the checkout line maybe the poster should try that? God forbid he ever go deaf in life, might not be able to ever buy anything ever again without that ever important verbal exchange that reinforces that is safe and ok to do business here. Ok my thoughts are over now.

I did go in there once to buy a AR lower once but the prices were very high. After being greeted by several employees and chatting a bit I left empty handed.
    Your thoughts are so far out in left field and outrageous that I'm glad the're over. LMAO What a piece of crap you posted. Feel better about yourself now?

BOHUNTER

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went in last week to buy some .22 short walked out with a Browning BAR 270, had several people greet me, assist me, and I’m always looking at ammo and his Xtac 223 was 10.99 a box, cheaper than I could find online or with shipping. Id much rather shop local. Lots of ammo choices and firearms. I don’t know why you weren’t helped as I’ve never been with out a greeting.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I hadn’t been in Gulf Coast in a while and happened to be going thru Milton yesterday afternoon, so stopped in.
    I had 3 people greet me and asked if there was anything they could help me find while I was there.
    I always like to look at the used handguns but I don’t know about those steel rods being shoved down the barrel. Can’t be good for the gun. The rods used to be rubber-coated but it’s worn off. I would inspect the bore really well before buying.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you knew the exact gun you wanted, which apparently you did, why didn't you simply walk with it over to the cash register and in a loud voice say could someone check me out. Not sure why you thought you needed a salesman to talk to you? I actually prefer NOT to talk to a salesman, when I do most of the time I know more about the gun (or whatever it is I'm buying) than they do anyway :) . Pretty much the only time I talk to a salesman is if there isn't a price tag on something and I have to ask the price.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    If you knew the exact gun you wanted, which apparently you did, why didn't you simply walk with it over to the cash register and in a loud voice say could someone check me out. Not sure why you thought you needed a salesman to talk to you? I actually prefer NOT to talk to a salesman, when I do most of the time I know more about the gun (or whatever it is I'm buying) than they do anyway :) . Pretty much the only time I talk to a salesman is if there isn't a price tag on something and I have to ask the price.
    With respect, if you have ever been in that store you would know that the guns are secured to the wall by a retractable steel cable. So, it is impossible to "simply walk with it over to the cash register." Can't be done.

Last edited:

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With respect, if you have ever been in that store you would know that the guns are secured to the wall by a retractable steel cable. So, it is impossible to "simply walk with it over to the cash register." Can't be dome.
    Didn't realize that. In that case I would have walked up to the register and in a loud voice said "can somebody check me out". And then when somebody came to the register I would say "I want to buy that gun over there" and point at it. Now if after saying can somebody check me out and STILL nobody acknowledged me I would walk out then for sure :) .

J1207

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish people would quit crying on the internet. If you were actually serious about buying the gun on the spot any normal person would walk up to the counter and say I want to buy this gun. Takes all of 5 seconds.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I wish people would quit crying on the internet. If you were actually serious about buying the gun on the spot any normal person would walk up to the counter and say I want to buy this gun. Takes all of 5 seconds.
    The last post before this one was almost two weeks ago. I guess everyone has to express their opinion, because opinions are like, well, you know........

Misfeed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ubers is great. She usually has something interesting in the cases. I like to stop by Trade Winds in Gulf Breeze, Miles has an eclectic selection to say the least. Really unusual stuff but he can be...well..odd to deal with.
    For the really esoteric, set up an appointment and go to Gulf Breeze Guns (Old Pistol Parlor guys) spent a whole afternoon looking through Duke's stuff. Very cool shop.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Ubers is great. She usually has something interesting in the cases. I like to stop by Trade Winds in Gulf Breeze, Miles has an eclectic selection to say the least. Really unusual stuff but he can be...well..odd to deal with.
    For the really esoteric, set up an appointment and go to Gulf Breeze Guns (Old Pistol Parlor guys) spent a whole afternoon looking through Duke's stuff. Very cool shop.
    Wonder how many on here can say that they bought guns from the old Gulf Breeze Pistol Parlor. I bought from them several times. It was a good shop. Same with Ubers and Tradewinds, good shops, good people. They all get my business.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom