• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting all the comments about something being close at hand...illogical. When the crap hits the fan it's what's on you or with you that counts. The toy carried at any given time depends on one's mode of dress. Down here in the summer it's pretty hard to conceal a full size pistol...at least it is for me. Spare mags are good to have on one's person again depending on the size of the mag. NY reloads are also a valid choice if one's mode of dress allows it. As any Marine knows one cannot never have too many rounds or too many weapons.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Interesting all the comments about something being close at hand...illogical. When the crap hits the fan it's what's on you or with you that counts. The toy carried at any given time depends on one's mode of dress. Down here in the summer it's pretty hard to conceal a full size pistol...at least it is for me. Spare mags are good to have on one's person again depending on the size of the mag. NY reloads are also a valid choice if one's mode of dress allows it. As any Marine knows one cannot never have too many rounds or too many weapons.
    This will be my first summer CC in fla with a 2.5 python ,i might have to have the wife haul the 2 speedloaders though ,maybe a hellcat is in the cards

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This will be my first summer CC in fla with a 2.5 python ,i might have to have the wife haul the 2 speedloaders though ,maybe a hellcat is in the cards
    That's why the Kel Tec or Ruger 380s are popular down here with a spare mag.

Themumfordman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    It’s a really good conversation, and honestly training is probably 90 percent or more of the battle no matter which way you go. I train live fire at least once a month doing dynamic range drills from my holster with 3 shot bursts on multiple targets, just to make sure I am used to the cadence and rhythm of my trigger pulls. I watched a crazy USCCA video where they did a simulated robbery and at the end the guy doing it swore he fired 3 shots and in fact it was 8. Training and muscle memory is everything.

That said, I use my CR and MR 920 pistols depending on the time of use and dress, but I won’t carry anything less than 12+ rounds and extra mags, regardless. The mass shooter and group attacks naturally are going to require more ammo if (God forbid) that’s where you find itself, and a lot of these guys are wearing Kevlar now too.

Of course, I also don’t leave the house without a good shotgun in the truck, for all the obvious reasons.

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    are they better than the hellcat ? My python starts to get heavy after a few hours .
    Hellcat is a bigger gun also 9mm. Again depends on your mode of dress. That Kel Tec or Ruger in 380 is much smaller. Smaller yet is the Kel Tec 32 acp. I know I know a 32 is worthless eccetera eccetera, but it's been carried by many for years and it's better then trying to reason with some idiot trying to ruin your life.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here the bad guy with six shots fatally wounds one officer and seriously wounds another and escapes of course to be captured after an extensive search.
    6 shots can do a lot of damage.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fully agree on keeping the EDC the same, I carry a 17 round mag with one in the chamber and a spare 17 round mag in my backpack which is never very far away. I want to be the most comfortable and accurate with the one I carry every day.

What's that Bruce Lee saying?

I don't fear the guy that practices 10,000 kicks once, I fear the guy that practices one kick 10,000 times.
    Yep... been carrying an S&W full size (459 > 5904 > 5926 > M&P 2.0) since the '80s with +/-50 rds. magged up. Still have the 5926 in reserve status, in fact.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can't understand the difficulty some are having in concealing a full size, though. My Harley "Wild West" hip bag (it's NOT a "holster"!). Sadly, no longer in production ;)

Wild_Westweb.jpg

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do think there is a point at which you have practiced enough dry and live fire that you become super aware of the limitations of the different platforms, and that becomes the decision point as to what to carry when. Bruce Lee also said “Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick. Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.”

As far as concealing things, my experience has been grip length and overall width of the handgun determines how concealable it is. I have no problem carrying a Glock 17 IWB and depending on the fabric of my shirt it's practically invisible, and for reference I'm 5'11" and 185. My 43X just disappears under pretty much any shirt.

Themumfordman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Must be nice to be tall and skinny. Dad bod doesn’t help with concealing a full size gun in the pants.

It is very true about getting the right holster though. I can go IWB with the right outfit with my MR920 with a RDS and light, but a cheap or improperly fitting holster ruins everything.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I do think there is a point at which you have practiced enough dry and live fire that you become super aware of the limitations of the different platforms, and that becomes the decision point as to what to carry when. Bruce Lee also said “Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick. Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.”

As far as concealing things, my experience has been grip length and overall width of the handgun determines how concealable it is. I have no problem carrying a Glock 17 IWB and depending on the fabric of my shirt it's practically invisible, and for reference I'm 5'11" and 185. My 43X just disappears under pretty much any shirt.
    My 2.5 python hides quite well with an IWB garret and can draw pretty darn quick too ...it just gets heavy after a while ,i am thinking of a 5 shot 357 sw or colt

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was carrying a 3" .357 K-frame for years as my hiking/camping gun, which I do pretty regularly. I used to carry it with factory 158 grain JHP's and I was getting 1148 fps out of it. I recently came across an ammo can of Federal 155 grain .40 cals and chronoed them at 1168 fps out of my Glock 22, so I have shelved the revolver for now and if I need a heavyer hitter I will pull out one of my .44 magnums.

timsimon11

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Frankly, I want as many rounds as possible, because should I ever need to use a firearm in self-defense, I want "the fight" to be as unfair as possible for whoever is threatening my life. If I have 15 and only use 6, it isn't a big deal. But I would hate to only have 6 when I needed 7 to win.

scrappyfisci

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Have you shot under stress? What if you miss...five times? Then what? I am sure there are all kinds of comments on here and everyone has a different take; however, you don't want the rule of attrition to be you...running out of ammo...just my two cents...

Top Bottom