• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I really didn't, I suggested you buy a good one to try out, you just took it that way. Which is fine, lol. It'll be fun.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It will be fun and I will get to meet you. By the way I still think we should get a portion of the side bets to split between us.LOL

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    fit/Finish /hand Crafting /quality parts/ Etc. makes the difference to some I have owned Kimbers Ria's Colts Paras, Taurus 1911's and they all shot good. I have a Springfield Armory Lightweight Stainless as my carry gun and people griped well this is cheap and that's cheap on these guns so it has,All in titanium mind u...trigger/hammer/firing pin/mainspring housing/ mag release/slide release/beavertail safety/ambi hammer safety. That's about as bulletproof as I can get and it runs like a sewing machine. you can buy a base model gun on a 1911 and modify the hell out of it or just replace plastic with steel and while they may not group 1/2" at 21 feet, anyone shot at that distance, the bullet is gonna land somewhere in a fist sized area center mass. Far be it from me to be an expert but that shot out of a RIA will kill them just as dead as a Kimber. How much you pay to Achieve that's up to you

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Where are the pictures of the paper targets showing results? I just read 11 pages of this novel and would like to see the groupings. Although the "nuff said" was a nice touch.

Sorry. I didn't take any.

Funny thing happened. Today at the range I ran into the gentleman from whom I purchased my first 1911. He is a very nice guy and quite a collector. At one point he had over 50 1911's, but also owns at least one of every type of gun you can think of. So in my mind, the guy know his guns.
    I love my Wilson and I feel like it's the culmination and product from my adventure into the world of 1911's. So running into him, I just HAD to show him my pistol. So he comes over and I say, "man, you've got to see this thing, you're gonna love it" so I show it to him and he's very nice about it, but a few minutes into the conversation, he gives me the "oh, well, you know, you're really just paying for the name, and blah, blah" I said, well, you need to shoot it, see what you think, hoping he would see the light, I loaded 5 rounds for him and had him shoot it.

His group measures about SIXTEEN INCHES!!!

He said it recoiled very smoothly and had a nice trigger. After some small talk, he left. Then I remembered that as much as he likes the 1911, he has more of and is even more into Glocks. Lol. Go figure.

Moral of the story, if you can shoot, you'll appreciate the edge in accuracy that a premium, hand fitted 1911 offers.
    If your best accuracy is more "minute of man" then it's a waste and you'll miss the whole point, unless you appreciate the rock solid function , craftsmanship and beauty, which are also nice.

Hope that helps.
    We'll have a rematch and I promise to take pictures.

Last edited:

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. 16 inches. And I agree with your comments.

IMHO, we are really talking about a pragmatic view point vs that of someone who appreciates having the quality and craftsmanship of the finest functional art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some posers out there, but I don't think there are many that own high end 1911s, as it's hard to show off guns.

Practical: Honda civic, rock Island 1911, Casio watch. They all do the job well and are good values.
    The Most Interesting Man in the World (no poser): Honda accord (ok- maybe something cooler like a classic Corvette or a GTO, or even a pickup truck), a $1200 + 1911, 1988 Seiko Dive Watch well worn.
    Poser: rolls Royce, gold Plated 1911, $10k Rolex diamond encrusted.

I am somewhere between the first two. If I had more money (or no kids). I would be all-in for number two.

Just my opinion.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Morning...I wish you had taken pictures of the groups to. IMO the diffrence in price of our 2 guns didn't show up in the groups you shot with them and of course you pulled a shot with my gun when firing the group LOL. My gun was ever bit as tight as your Wilson Combat and has Many More rounds through it. AND it was TIGHTER than the Colt 10 MM you sold. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed shooting yours but I didn't feel it was worth $1500 more than mine and mine had no malfunctions. Yours 1. Your falt about the slide release,Still didn't work!!!!!

I have been wondering ever since we shot why it didn't eject the fired case even if you did happen to work the slide release. I have never tried it to see what mine would do. Have you started training diffrent to over come that?

I will say I liked the flared mag well as I have been working on mag changes and it is something I will have on the next 45 I own.

I watch alot of vids on IPDA and even there custom built guns fail from time to time if you see some of the bloopers but I have gotten some ideas on how I want my next one to be. Simple stuff I have wondered about for a long time.

It's fun to talk about the diffrence in guns and you have your idea and I have mine. Both of them are right in our own minds. I would love to be able to afford what you can but I can't and if I could i'm not sure I would go for what you have chosen. You are a Wilson Combat fan and I think I would go for a Spring Field $2000 gun.

Do you try to go to the range every Thursday? If so maybe we can have a day at the range again . I would love to try some of the stuff you are doing at diffrent ranges to get some practice in before makeing a fool of myself at an IPDA match and are you comeing to the WW2 shoot this weekend.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Didn't pull shots. We'll do 5 groups next time. We'll have pictures and calipers to avoid this nonsense. Lol.

I do try to go on Thursdays, I can't shoot more than once per week though. Next weekend I'll be doing IDPA and the week after that, I'll be shooting the 50BMG at Styx either Thursday or Friday. After that, I should be back to the regularly scheduled programming of Happy Thursdays at Santa Rosa.

Most importantly, doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning. :)

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have both an both will put you under, just saying, I have a little bersa 380 I would put up against anything out there in same cal. not high end but I don't have to handle with gloves either!!!! They will all do the job they were made to do sort of a chevy-porshe thing!!!! Some folks are just into the high end glamor type weapons, me not so much!!!!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yep - sounds like another challenge to me! :)

Well, unfortunate, it's not really much of a challenge in the traditional sense. As in a car race, where it's a man and his machine against another with his own.
    Since snowbird is getting a bit long in the tooth, his hands shake, and he's wrong side dominant and half blind or something to that effect a traditional challenge is a bit of a joke. No offense, Snow.
    So I'm left being the common denominator between the 2 guns, so naturally, I can be accused of skewering the results, so I'll never really win that one. Of course, an old, professionally tuned Springfield is a nice gun, much like an old tuned series 70, so no surprise there, but it's not a hand built piece of functional art, that's a fact. If the man could outshoot me with his gun, I'd shut my big mouth for good on the subject.

Jean, no matter if it's a 22 short or a 50 bmg, a miss is a miss. Production guns are less accurate, how much accuracy is good enough for you is up to you. With handguns being inherently difficult to shoot accurately, I'll take all the accuracy I can get.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan all those things you said about me are true and I just had an awakening. If I shoot the targets on the left side maybe I will do better. Got all my problems fixed.

You are right a win is a win and I give you credit. You beat me fair and square. A failure to eject is still a failure to eject even on your $2000 gun. Which happened. Had to bring that up.

I will also give you that it is nice looking gun.

I will try to get some more range time to make our next match alittle closer. Like I said I want to try some other shooting styles but mostly I need some more trigger time. It's fun to talk back and forth and nothing I say should be taken as being mean or spiteful.

Did I read it right that you have a 50 BMG now? If so great and can people come to those matches to just watch. If so I will plan on watching the next one. I'm old and a bit blind but I still like to compeat and it looks like fun on vids. Couldn't get into it before I retired because of work and the distance to a range and where do you practice that type of shooting.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I did get a 50bmg upper. I've ordered the parts I need to build the lower.

After talking to Berryville, they said it was a mag issue. The mag wasn't holding on to the last round tight enough and released it during the recoil of the penultimate round, which caused the slide to lock back while leaving the last round sitting on top of the mag with the slide locked. I marked the mag and have put another 300 rounds or so without incident using other mags, so I think they're right. However, I'm sending that mag back for a replacement. Good to know it wasn't me or the gun, but it's the first time I've heard of a 47D not working 100%. A new mag, for free is an easy and inexpensive fix. I guess even Wilson can make lemon mags from time to time.

I'm sure this will still give you trash talking material, so have at it. Lol. ;)

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wasn't trash talking you just stating a fact. High dollar guns do fail to,weather it was a mag or what it still failed just like a win is a win.

I hope you don't get pissed at me for bringing up that your gun failed at an inopertune (spelling) time for someone to see by the way you build them up. I am not trashing you or your gun just stateing facts like you do about how gimpy I am. And by the way if I ever get to shoot in Compition I will be wearingt a knee brace.

Now if my idea about shooting the target on the lelt side works we are on again. As far as I am concerned that topic is over.

Now on to your 50. What do they do to tame the recoil? Is it the buffer spring which would have to be alot bigger I would guess. I don't know a damn thing about AR;s I'm all for learning something new.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Springs are the main consumable part of a handgun. Mag spring and recoil springs being the main ones. That mag is from 1995, so I'm pretty impressed it held up so long. Regardless, it did have a hiccup, mag spring failed, I'm ok with that, but Wilson, being the epitome of all awesomeness, is replacing it. :)

The 50bmg upper goes on a standard AR lower, with the bolt catch, buffer retainer and spring removed to allow the bolt to move. It needs an A2 tube, which seems to be unavailable on the Gulf Coast at the moment.

Last edited:

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, unfortunate, it's not really much of a challenge in the traditional sense. As in a car race, where it's a man and his machine against another with his own.
    Since snowbird is getting a bit long in the tooth, his hands shake, and he's wrong side dominant and half blind or something to that effect a traditional challenge is a bit of a joke. No offense, Snow.
    So I'm left being the common denominator between the 2 guns, so naturally, I can be accused of skewering the results, so I'll never really win that one. Of course, an old, professionally tuned Springfield is a nice gun, much like an old tuned series 70, so no surprise there, but it's not a hand built piece of functional art, that's a fact. If the man could outshoot me with his gun, I'd shut my big mouth for good on the subject.

Jean, no matter if it's a 22 short or a 50 bmg, a miss is a miss. Production guns are less accurate, how much accuracy is good enough for you is up to you. With handguns being inherently difficult to shoot accurately, I'll take all the accuracy I can get.

Well - Hello Capt. Ro... I mean Dan

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Haha, funny you mention him. I ran into the clown the other day. Still trying to work his way into "society"

Biggest, most ridiculous bullshit spewing GlockHead around. Reminds me of Yaeger, though, at least Yaeger straightened his sh!t out.

http://youtu.be/dYEd-3iy4QM

You made some downright douchetactular comments.
    No problem being confident and proud of your abilities. If you ARE good, YOU don't have to tell anyone. They'll know.

A lot of folks out here took extreme pleasure in ripping Ron to shreds for making comments along the same vein ...
    Just seems odd that you would rip Ron and make similar comments.

1911 haters ... well ... as I've seen said out here before .. "Haters gonna hate"

Snow took it in stride, good on him.

Top Bottom