• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had an Egyptian Maadi RML AK that has always shot about 4" left even with the front sight adjusted over as far as possible. The canted front sight tower has never really bothered me, I just use Kentucky windage and hit my target. BUT I read on the internet how EASY it is to remove the two pins and readjust it so I thought I would give it a try. The 1st pin came out easy but the rear pin would not budge. After bending all my punches I said to myself "Just drill it out". I tried several bits and finally found one harder then Russian steel and drilled the pin out. I thought "Good, I'm home free now". I gently tapped it with a home made piston pin hammer that has aluminum ends to keep the dings to a minimum. It didn't move so i smacked it harder. It still didn't move so out comes the small ball peen hammer.It didn't move so I grab my 2lb. mini sledge, heated the tower and started beating the crap out of it. I looked at my reference marks and see that it moved. "Success! I thought to myself". I then noticed that one of the ears was bent and looked like it had a crack in it . From past experience I new that when I tried to bend metal back it usually breaks and it did. "Cheap commie crap!" never entered my mind, "I'm an idiot" did though. I just hope it shoots to point of aim now. Hell, it's an AK so I know it will still work and I'm not concerned how pretty it is. Anyone need their front sight adjusted?

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hahaha! Not laughing at your hardship but you're taking it pretty well and tell a pretty good story.

Aint nothin too broken that cant be a fixed

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you know that USSR Migs had the jet engines "welded" in place. The Russians did not produce "spare" engines. It was all a Korean and cold war numbers race. So the entire aircraft (including pilot) was considered as "Consumable". Their small arms are basically the same way. They put them together without consideration for total disassembley. Yes, you can get them apart but...........

WR

Top Bottom