• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    I prefer a manual transfer switch with a portable genny. Yeah, the whole-house automatics are nice, when they work, but I've heard/read too many stories of control boards failing just when you need them most. Good luck getting a tech out in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane. The portable option is a little more work and a lot less convenient, but if it dies you can roll it out of the way and roll a new one into place pretty easily.
    After Ivan our power was out for 13 days. My buddy brought me a generator on the 2nd evening so we could run our freezer overnight night. The next day at 3:00 AM my wife was at Lowe’s in Crestview when the truck came with a load of generators. When my buddy came to get his generator we had our own. Even if you have a whole house generator with all the problems we’ve heard about having a portable generator is a great idea for just in case. Then if you don’t need it you could let a friend borrow it for a few hours to run there freezer.

ccc

Master
    They are now saying even if it hits big bend we would still see 40-50 mph gusts and 5-9” of rain. Still too early to call, it could shift and be a direct hit on us.

capt.joe

Master
    Love my old Perkins milsurplus house generator. I haven't cranked it in a year. Charged the batteries and she busted right off. Hope I don't need it.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I prefer a manual transfer switch with a portable genny. Yeah, the whole-house automatics are nice, when they work, but I've heard/read too many stories of control boards failing just when you need them most. Good luck getting a tech out in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane. The portable option is a little more work and a lot less convenient, but if it dies you can roll it out of the way and roll a new one into place pretty easily.
    My Genrac test-runs every Monday at 10am for 10 mins. How many Mondays in 2024? A lot. That's however many test drives. Have an app too. It's got a wireless link to the Mothership.
    It's on a twice a year oil change/inspection-tune-up to boot.
    With my service contract, I sleep ok. But I guess anything could go wrong.

I even go and throw the manual just for sh*ts and giggles and so far, so good.
    If it fails, I guess I could use the F150 to run the freezer. It's got a plug for stuff. *shrugs*

Themumfordman

Master
    Working out a deal for a basically brand new Champion 7500 watt dual fuel unit I’m going to pick up tomorrow. If nothing else it’ll keep the lights on, fridge running and some fans to fight the swamp heat.

I can probably rig up power for the water heater pretty easily too. I have a hybrid heat pump heater and running in HP mode it pulls less than 10 amps @ 220v.

ABlaster

Marksman
    My Genrac test-runs every Monday at 10am for 10 mins. How many Mondays in 2024? A lot. That's however many test drives. Have an app too. It's got a wireless link to the Mothership.
    It's on a twice a year oil change/inspection-tune-up to boot.
    With my service contract, I sleep ok. But I guess anything could go wrong.

I even go and throw the manual just for sh*ts and giggles and so far, so good.
    If it fails, I guess I could use the F150 to run the freezer. It's got a plug for stuff. *shrugs*
    Funny, we have ours set to run at 10am on Mondays, too! I wonder if that’s factory default.

Edit: I will also add that the weekly run plus the checkups are meaningful. I’d wager a lot my Generac will start more reliably and run longer than any portable that sits in a shed waiting for Jim Cantore to come around!

Latest posts

Top Bottom