• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .22 cents

Master
    Here’s wishing all those in the path a safe ride. Godspeed

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I will be hoping we don't get much of a hit, BUT I'm starting to get some survivors guilt going on, we have been very fortunate lately. Prayers to the folks in the zone, they been hit 3 time in a row it seems. Prayer to ALL victims of this storm, I hope they all get out in time, as it does not sound good at all. .

Recondo 101

Expert
    Got four evacuee family members arriving today, so the Hotel is operating as normal.

Two LP Gas tanks filled, the whole house 23KW generator checked last week, deep well water backup, with valves and back flow preventers operating. three refrigerator/freezers. LP stove and oven, furnaces, and LP grill, plus a charcoal fired BGE grill.

Just bought 6 containers of fuel for all the equipment that runs on liquid fuel. Got ARs and shotguns in racks by the doors. First Aid kit checked and in reach. Cel phone hot spot up and running, Star-link wifi up and running.

Important papers in steel cabinet, checked. Concrete safe room checked and ready for occupants, if necessary. Prescription meds refilled. Reserve cash in safe, in case the banks go down. Just ran into a station with the all their card machines off line, so....

Prepared, means prepared for any and all potential events. If you miss something you will probably get reminded that you forgot it, later.

Most communities and most folks in FL have a very low to non-existent tolerance for hurricane looters, before, during or after a hurricane.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Got four evacuee family members arriving today, so the Hotel is operating as normal.

Two LP Gas tanks filled, the whole house 23KW generator checked last week, deep well water backup, with valves and back flow preventers operating. three refrigerator/freezers. LP stove and oven, furnaces, and LP grill, plus a charcoal fired BGE grill.

Just bought 6 containers of fuel for all the equipment that runs on liquid fuel. Got ARs and shotguns in racks by the doors. First Aid kit checked and in reach. Cel phone hot spot up and running, Star-link wifi up and running.

Important papers in steel cabinet, checked. Concrete safe room checked and ready for occupants, if necessary. Prescription meds refilled. Reserve cash in safe, in case the banks go down. Just ran into a station with the all their card machines off line, so....

Prepared, means prepared for any and all potential events. If you miss something you will probably get reminded that you forgot it, later.

Most communities and most folks in FL have a very low to non-existent tolerance for hurricane looters, before, during or after a hurricane.
    Do you have to worry about well water contamination? I realize that well water itself is a product of basically aquifer filtration, BUT to my way of thinking, water contamination post-landfall could be a serious issue. Or am I just wrong in thinking about that?

Themumfordman

Master
    Really depends on where the well is drawing from, but after doing plumbing and water treatment for years in an area of the country (Washington State) where we had a LOT of wells with really awful water, I’d always prefer to have some sort of filtration or treatment on a well no matter what. Especially if you’re in a scenario where the flood waters can affect the aquifer, you really don’t want to end up giving your family contaminated water.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Yes but kinda rare and mostly by the shore , we were in the west [trenton] . Snow was our get out of nj reason ....and taxes , so far 1 year and 2 weeks here we have dodged 4 including helene
    Well, don't let that feeling fool you. It can move , twitch and turn , go by you and decide to turn around and come back. You only know its true course after the fact. Lots of times its a tornado that smaks you even though the hurricane missed you. I have personal experience on that.

Themumfordman

Master
    We've missed the hurricanes so far but got hit with a tornado right down our street back in January. Back yard got messed up pretty good from all the neighbor's crap they forgot to secure - bunch of junk blew through the fence and into our yard. The house did just fine, other than having to replace a couple downspouts from the gutters and one section of fence.

Tell you what though, not having experienced anything like that before, waking up at 3:00 am with constant bright lightning outside the windows and wind beating the hell out of the house was unreal. My wife is now terrified any time they start talking about tornado warnings or high winds.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Really depends on where the well is drawing from, but after doing plumbing and water treatment for years in an area of the country (Washington State) where we had a LOT of wells with really awful water, I’d always prefer to have some sort of filtration or treatment on a well no matter what. Especially if you’re in a scenario where the flood waters can affect the aquifer, you really don’t want to end up giving your family contaminated water.
    My thought as well (pun intended)

5lima30ret

Master

Most of Alabama is same maybe even more so! Y'all stay safe and prayers up!

harleypower69

Shooter
    I am in Wakulla County 10 miles inland. Not concerned about flooding
    but wind and trees is my worry.
    House was built in 2023 and hopefully up to storm code.
    Wishing y’all a safe storm passage.

Reactions: FLT

FrommerStop

Master
    According to current projections it is now a three and will still be a two when it gets to georgia. For Tallahassee the wind damage will depend on if the storm passes to the east or the west of it.
    4PM central time maps 9-26-2024

1727385218422.png

1727385322370.png

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    @FrommerStop the spaghetti I keep seeing would be the white line on the bottom pic here. That would put me on the E side of the eye. The big one up top shows it running through the next county E of me putting me on the W side of the eye

FrommerStop

Master
    @FrommerStop the spaghetti I keep seeing would be the white line on the bottom pic here. That would put me on the E side of the eye. The big one up top shows it running through the next county E of me putting me on the W side of the eye
    You are so close that you just do not have any way of knowing precisely where the eye will be going. The best is to do what you can do saveguard your property, family, pets, have stocked up, and hope/pray for the best. There are a lot of tornadoes and other wind events that are mixed in such storms. It is going north fast enough that maybe your flooding will not be too bad. But about Tennessee, it may sit for a while and could dump a lot of rain.

Top Bottom