Hurlburt losing Special Operations Command?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master

“Special Forces” (SF) are Green Berets. ARMY.

“Special Operations Forces” (SOF) could be anyone in the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

“Air Force Special Operations Command” (AFSOC) is simultaneously a Major Command in the US Air Force and a component of USSOCOM.

Referring to SOF as SF is incorrect. When it’s done by someone who should know better in a “news” piece, it’s annoying and disappointing.

Edit to summarize:
    Hurlburt Field is home to AFSOC, made up of SOF, not SF.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    That would be a huge hit to the housing market in the FWB area for sure!

True, but I doubt they will move AFSOC from Hurlburt. Especially to Davis-Monthan.
    I’m just a spectator now, though.

Which would be a blessing for a lot of people.

Sort of. While I’d like to see the “growth” slow way down or be done much smarter, nuking the primary user of Hurlburt Field would impact ALOT more than just housing in the area. Multiple areas would be affected.

Even smarmy used-car salesman politicians should be able to articulate the impacts to the decision-makers.

That’s most likely the point of any threatened moves: bargaining chips and leverage. The real questions would be “Why?” and ”What’s the real intent?”.

ccc

Master
    One of my programs is AHTS at Whiting. Gaetz was very instrumental in that program and I doubt very seriously he will lose the Hurlburt program without pulling out every card he can play. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IronBeard

Master

“Special Forces” (SF) are Green Berets. ARMY.

“Special Operations Forces” (SOF) could be anyone in the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

“Air Force Special Operations Command” (AFSOC) is simultaneously a Major Command in the US Air Force and a component of USSOCOM.

Referring to SOF as SF is incorrect. When it’s done by someone who should know better in a “news” piece, it’s annoying and disappointing.

Edit to summarize:
    Hurlburt Field is home to AFSOC, made up of SOF, not SF.
    You'd think our "representatives" would know that :rolleyes: I'm certain gaetz's "aid for military affairs" has no clue, and don't expect any better from the other two, anti-gun, putzes. But, others can form their own opinions, or just go with what they believe... ETA: You could move HQ AFSOC off Hurlburt and just make things better for those left behind. Cannon or DM sounds right.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Move them all to Clovis NM!

That has worked smashingly!!!!
    cannon afb has nothing near the infrastructure that mary esther, fwb, & crestview have.

it would be a world class mistake, not to mention costing a freaking ton of money we don't have, and for what reason? name a valid military reason to move...

Last edited:

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    I believe the 492 SOW is supposed to leave . My wife told me as she works with them closely the last couple years on base. I was stationed at DM from 2007-2014 and I’m not sure what real estate on base they will have to take them in if that’s the case. They might setup shop at the Boneyard

Besides the 355 WG, 12AF HQ is there and Border Patrol has some real estate on there as well amongst other tenants. Might get a little cramped

I would say that if they did move it’s definitely better than going to Canon

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    here they can train over & on the water, access to all of eglin's ranges and outlying fields, and close to other areas they go to, hunter aaf,ga, ft benning, asheville...

out there, just over the desert....

miket4661

Shooter
    True, but I doubt they will move AFSOC from Hurlburt. Especially to Davis-Monthan.
    I’m just a spectator now, though.

Sort of. While I’d like to see the “growth” slow way down or be done much smarter, nuking the primary user of Hurlburt Field would impact ALOT more than just housing in the area. Multiple areas would be affected.

Even smarmy used-car salesman politicians should be able to articulate the impacts to the decision-makers.

That’s most likely the point of any threatened moves: bargaining chips and leverage. The real questions would be “Why?” and ”What’s the real intent?”.
    More hands being greased. That simple.

Top Bottom