• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Marksman
    Never too much brass! I can reload for about a dozen calibers, but I primarily shoot only one. I have an obscene amount of brass for that caliber and not so much for the rest.

As has been pointed out, how much you need is a function of how much you shoot.

gnappi

Expert
    Never too much brass! I can reload for about a dozen calibers, but I primarily shoot only one. I have an obscene amount of brass for that caliber and not so much for the rest.

As has been pointed out, how much you need is a function of how much you shoot.
    I'll add to that...

"how much you need is whether or not you believe there will be another panic buy" :)

ABlaster

Marksman
    I was fortunate to have a source of super cheap brass in the caliber I needed as well as enough lead time to act when I found out that source was about to go away!

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    I stand by my original comment:
    “I would keep as much as you can store without getting in your way.”
    brass Has no shelf life, so the only limit is storage space. If you have the space to store it great. I do not believe in keeping brass for only the calibers I own, I also have numerous others as well as dies. Should the need arise I can load for others and barter for what I need. So again if you have the storage space, use it.

M118LR

Master
    Well, if we are standing
    I stand by my original comment:
    “I would keep as much as you can store without getting in your way.”
    brass Has no shelf life, so the only limit is storage space. If you have the space to store it great. I do not believe in keeping brass for only the calibers I own, I also have numerous others as well as dies. Should the need arise I can load for others and barter for what I need. So again if you have the storage space, use it.
    Empty brass is of no use in a firefight. Only loaded rounds can make a difference. So I also shall stand with original statement.

I don't see how having a mess of empty brass on hand, has any bearing on how many loaded rounds one might also have?

No bearing. I could throw away all the empty brass, and still have the same amount of loaded rounds.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Stashing free brass years ago is what prompted me to load em up, back when supply prices were not so bad. Glad I did. Hated seeing boxes of empty brass, despite not needing the ammo, I loaded em up anyway.

I have unlimited access to 9mm, .223. and .308. I've processed and stashed quite a bit over the years ready to load. Have so much now I only collect .308 and selective .223 cases.

M118LR

Master
    My problem is with Uncle Sam. For three decades he directed to expend 100 rounds a day 365 days a year from my primary, and 100 rounds a week from my secondary. Then one day I Retired and he quit footing the bill for the ammo. He didn't provide me with a way to quit the habit. Drugs may have been less costly? LOL.

ABlaster

Marksman
    My problem is with Uncle Sam. For three decades he directed to expend 100 rounds a day 365 days a year from my primary, and 100 rounds a week from my secondary. Then one day I Retired and he quit footing the bill for the ammo. He didn't provide me with a way to quit the habit. Drugs may have been less costly? LOL.

I want that gig. What did you do?

M118LR

Master
    I want that gig. What did you do?
    It starts on The Strand, then the CNO cuts you an invitation to Pendleton, then a Gunny that ain't thrilled with nursemaiding Squids gives you a little precision small arms training. Then you get to try your hand at OJT in some mangrove swamps. It just gets better from there until they disband you and all your Buddies in 83, then the CNO starts the Black bag stuff. What a thrill. LOL. Be careful what you wish for.........

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Interesting. I just got here so I’m still feeling everything out. I’m more of a handgun guy, so I will read your rifle stuff with great interest!

I’m assuming your primary was some type of precision rifle based on context and round count.

M118LR

Master
    Interesting. I just got here so I’m still feeling everything out. I’m more of a handgun guy, so I will read your rifle stuff with great interest!

I’m assuming your primary was some type of precision rifle based on context and round count.
    No, the Navy doesn't recognize Secondary MOS's like 8541. I ended my Navy Career as a Naval Aircrewman. A long, long, long, time ago on Continent's far, far away. (A little Star Wars pilferage) the Navy once had Frogmen to do dirty Deeds. But a little google work on Naval History should clear things up. Unfortunately you can no longer converse with SAWMAN.

ABlaster

Marksman
    I didn’t mean your primary MOS, I meant the primary system you were putting 100 rounds a day through. I was guessing it was some type of precision rifle because 36,500 rounds annually isn’t much for a serious handgun or AR shooter, especially one that the government is footing the ammo bill for.

M118LR

Master
    I didn’t mean your primary MOS, I meant the primary system you were putting 100 rounds a day through. I was guessing it was some type of precision rifle because 36,500 round annually isn’t much for a serious handgun or AR shooter, especially one that the government is footing the ammo bill for.
    Oh, you should know that the CNO & "BIG M" only let sailors play with bolt actions or M-14's. I'm not sure what the daily allowance of rounds expended are for the other branches of Service, but Squids aren't known for being serious handgun or M-16/M-4 Shooters. LOL. I wasn't all that serious, I just had to qualify annually to keep the gray train pay check coming in regularly. Those were the easy days. LOL. Nowadays they expect you to work for a paycheck in the Civilian World. What a strange concept. LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom