• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Similar to the numerous discussions on how much ammo is enough to own, I am wondering how much empty brass is enough. I have been consolidating my reloading stuff from several friends' houses, who no longer reload, to my house. I don't reload much anymore either. It appears there isn't much of a demand for used brass or are prices just too high? I am thinking of keeping a standard size ammo can, full of 9, 45 and 38. The rest would give me at least a 5-gallon bucket for the scape recycler. Anyone else downsizing? What are you doing with your brass? Thanks.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    currently I have 1 5gal bucket of ready to load .308, 2 5gal buckets of 9mm ready to go, 1.5 buckets of .45ACP that need to be sized and cleaned. Couldn't tell you how many .398/.357s are here. Kinda low on .44 Mag. I have various quantities of some hunting rounds but I am lower than I want to be on many hunting caliber rounds. I'm over supplied on .357SIG and my buddy told me there were at least 3 55gal drums of .40S&W behind the shop...don't need any of that.

I might take all you want to get rid of. If you want to get rid of some send me a list of what you have.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Similar to the numerous discussions on how much ammo is enough to own, I am wondering how much empty brass is enough. I have been consolidating my reloading stuff from several friends' houses, who no longer reload, to my house. I don't reload much anymore either. It appears there isn't much of a demand for used brass or are prices just too high? I am thinking of keeping a standard size ammo can, full of 9, 45 and 38. The rest would give me at least a 5-gallon bucket for the scape recycler. Anyone else downsizing? What are you doing with your brass? Thanks.

Downsizing no. Accruing more yes.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    99 of every caliber you shoot should be enough. Once you reach 100 it should be reloaded. Empty brass serves no purpose. It's like runway behind you and altitude above you. Reload at 100 and be prepared. JMHO

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    An old friend of mine used to say... "If it ain't eating anything, hold onto it" :)
    My dad said this all the time - growing up on a hobby farm, we jerry rigged all sorts of things with scraps.

I save my empties when I can and grab whatever doesn't look too bad at the range for my scrap bin. Eventually prices will come back. Only one supply chain issue away from who knows what other shortages.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The prices, especially for primers isn’t worth reloading common rounds. But some stuff it is.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The prices, especially for primers isn’t worth reloading common rounds. But some stuff it is.
    Is it cheaper to buy 9mm than reload it? Still doing baby steps on reloading only done 45c and 10mm. Looking forward to stepping up to .308 I've got a 1:12 twist rifle I wanna play with.

Last edited:

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    99 of every caliber you shoot should be enough. Once you reach 100 it should be reloaded. Empty brass serves no purpose. It's like runway behind you and altitude above you. Reload at 100 and be prepared. JMHO
    I would normally agree with this plan but based on the powder and primer issues at hand and the excessive prices I tend to wait and load as needed. I do not want to use up all my supplies of powder and primers loading a bunch of stuff to have it sit when I may need another caliber. Does that make sense? When stuff was cheap and readily available I would load as I accumulated brass but now I use a wait and load as needed technique.

Reactions: Ron

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Is it cheaper to buy 9mm than reload it? Still doing baby steps on reloading only done 45c and 10mm. Looking forward to stepping up to .308 I've got a 1:12 twist rifle I wanna play with.
    No currently it is not cheaper to buy 9mm. even with primers being crazy expensive it is still cheaper to load them yourself. Back When you could buy 9mm for 8¢ a round i did not bother to load it myself as it was not worth my time because price was negligible. Now that 9mm is 30¢ a round (for cheap stuff) or more it is well worth the time and effort to load it yourself. Even with primers at 6¢ each you come out to about 17¢ a round unless you have to buy brass then add another 4¢ per round to equal 21¢per round (average)
    that price is based on
    4¢ brass
    6¢ powder
    6¢ primer
    5¢ projectile
    21¢ total

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    This is my overflow brass storage. I would have more but the wife is already being kind by letting me keep it in the extra bedroom. The cans are labeled and filled with processed brass ready to load. The Unlabeled cans are raw brass needing to be prepared and are only sorted by caliber. I probably load more than most people as I do roughly 12-15 rifle calibers and about 12 pistol calibers for personal use. Plus the other random calibers I load for others. This is why I have roughly 100 sets of dies.
    IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_9026.PNG

IMG_8226.JPG
    IMG_8227.JPG
    IMG_8718.JPG

Last edited:

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No currently it is not cheaper to buy 9mm. even with primers being crazy expensive it is still cheaper to load them yourself. Back When you could buy 9mm for 8¢ a round i did not bother to load it myself as it was not worth my time because price was negligible. Now that 9mm is 30¢ a round (for cheap stuff) or more it is well worth the time and effort to load it yourself. Even with primers at 6¢ each you come out to about 17¢ a round unless you have to buy brass then add another 4¢ per round to equal 21¢per round (average)
    that price is based on
    4¢ brass
    6¢ powder
    6¢ primer
    5¢ projectile
    21¢ total
    I don't think those prices reflect today's costs. These prices reflect what you may have purchased in the past. While they may go back to that price, I'm not seeing it. A more realistic current price would be negligible to current ammo. I have a nice app that helps.
    1bac2fc28f8ec55e9e6e214398274e08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

In general you're right, especially if you shoot 9's, but for many it depends on variables:

Reloaders can buy the same bullet and never have to shop around for what's available and always have a constant supply of what works is a biggie. It's far cheaper to buy (or make) 5000 bullets than 5000 finished rounds and they can be reloaded as needed.

People (like myself) who cast and powder coat can ALWAYS beat the prices of commercial bullets by a lot.

Those who shoot 9mm major, bowling pin or steel shooters who need to knock down targets can tailor make loads to the sport.

Finicky guns can more easily be satisfied with reloads for training.

Accuracy buffs need to reload especially when you step up to rifle cartridges and see shooting beyond 100 yards, even with common calibers like .223 and .308.

If I were to sum it up the one overriding positive reason for reloading is having ammo when others are needing it, that is IF you have components on hand. The moaning I read online when ammo is scarce and prices are through the roof can be ignored by the well prepared reloader.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is my overflow brass storage. I would have more but the wife is already being kind by letting me keep it in the extra bedroom. The cans are labeled and filled with processed brass ready to load. The Unlabeled cans are raw brass needing to be prepared and are only sorted by caliber. I probably load more than most people as I do roughly 12-15 rifle calibers and about 12 pistol calibers for personal use. Plus the other random calibers I load for others. This is why I have roughly 100 sets of dies.
    View attachment 195299

View attachment 195302
    View attachment 195303 View attachment 195304 View attachment 195305
    iu

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Virtually every round I fire is a reload (except rimfire) and I rarely buy factory ammo. I still have plenty of powder, primers & projectiles, much of which was purchased in the very good old days, and I can reload very economically. I have quite a bit of brass for the calibers I shoot, so I'm in pretty good shape. I do have some milsurp rifle ammo, and cases of factory 9mm I bought back when it was still cheap, but even then I reloaded it because I had the components, the time, and I just enjoy reloading.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Let me know if you have any .38 Special brass you’d like to get rid of…better to have and not need, as long as you have the other components to reload. Just my $.02 as JJ would say.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would normally agree with this plan but based on the powder and primer issues at hand and the excessive prices I tend to wait and load as needed. I do not want to use up all my supplies of powder and primers loading a bunch of stuff to have it sit when I may need another caliber. Does that make sense? When stuff was cheap and readily available I would load as I accumulated brass but now I use a wait and load as needed technique.
    Wouldn't you just be reloading what you are actually using? By waiting until tomorrow odds are it's just going to cost more than it does today. Nothing is getting cheaper. But today's avail-ability is cause to tailor loads to powders vice yesteryears tailoring powders to specific loads. I won't expend 100 .44 Mags if I don't have IMR 4227 on the bench. Etc.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    H110/W296 works pretty good too...it just takes 1gr more ;)

i have just about quit storing in 50 and fat 50s...them 20mms are sweet

Last edited:
    Top Bottom