• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brnbser

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    curious myself, just bought my first ar, RRA Elite Operator II, 1 in 9 chrome lined. what should I look for wear wise?

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    first I would guess to be gas rings on the bolt. Second hammer, trigger, and disconnector springs. Then hard parts like the buffer retaining pin, hammer, gas tube, and finally barrel.

Just simply a guess by constantly maintaining my rifle and noticing wear.

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think alot depends on how you take care of it. I was a Marine for 20 years and we broke down, cleaned and inspected the rifles after every range trip. These rifle's from our armory went to the range with different shooters at least once a month with about 300-400 rounds fired each trip. So if they went 12 times in one year with 300 rounds a trip that's roughly 3600+ rounds (my guess would be 5-6K a year). In all the years I qualified I never had a bad rifle or one that malfunctioned that wasn't operator caused. I'm sure the armorer's checked them a lot but that proves with good maintenance they will last a long time.

Ted

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It is all in the barrel, get a Melonite one from ARP and I doubt any of us could shoot one out. Much longer lasting than stainless and chrome lined or a bare barrel. add the ARP super bolt and they are indestructible! My factory stag upper will last maybe 5-10,000 rds an ARP 4 -5 times longer.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I've heard from instructors who teach carbine courses, the extractor followed by the bolt go break first. I don't have a magic number this happens at, but the AR15 can take some crazy abuse. Here's an article were one went 31,000 plus rounds without cleaning.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

Here's 15,000s of Wolf without cleaning. The bolt lugs broke at this round count.
    ppppp_desktop_px_1-tm-tfb.jpg
    ppppp_desktop_px_2-tm-tfb.jpg

Attachments

• ppppp_desktop_px_1-tm-tfb.jpg
      ppppp_desktop_px_1-tm-tfb.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 183
    • ppppp_desktop_px_2-tm-tfb.jpg
      ppppp_desktop_px_2-tm-tfb.jpg
      19.5 KB · Views: 180

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah the replaceable small parts are easy to deal with, when I think of shooting one out I think of the barrel.

Gravity, that is a remarkable rd count for not cleaning!

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah the replaceable small parts are easy to deal with, when I think of shooting one out I think of the barrel.

Gravity, that is a remarkable rd count for not cleaning!

Another small part that wears easily is the cam pin. For me barrels are on a lower priority because even a 2-4 inch group at 100 yds is acceptable for me for my intended use. If I were shooting bullseye then I obviously would want it tighter.

I found those pics from this web blog entry, two bolt lugs broke right after. I don't have the time or coin to do anything that crazy, but I've put 500 plus rounds through two different ARs and had no jams or failures. My premiss on AR maintenance is to just throw more oil on it. If the gun (any gun) can't run dirty then its a bad gun.

glock

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    15000 rds! That's amazing. And I clean mine after every range trip. It should last forever!

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    15000 rds! That's amazing. And I clean mine after every range trip. It should last forever!

I think my personal record is 500 to 600 from both my A2/A4 clone and my 11.5 SBR. Both were using either M193 or M855. I find cleaning is more of an assessment of the rifle in order to find if there is anything out of the ordinary.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been told by gun sellers that the gun is dirty because it wears the barrel out faster to clean it too much...just sayin'

I've heard the same as well and think its pish posh. Aside from damaging the crown (can't happen with a muzzle device), steel cleaning rods won't damage the rifling; at least in my experience. If steel USGI cleaning rods are good enough for the Marines (they send rods down the barrel almost daily) then its good enough for me.

Interwebs is the best place to buy ammo. Palmetto State Armory and Lucky Gunner are some good places.

wld1985

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice thanks Gravity..I just bought 150rds,from Palmetto..Great rates there,Stopped buy a local shop and they wanted 20bucks for some cheap rounds..

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.freedommunitions.com/
    These guys have some good pricing on new and reloaded stuff. I've had good luck with the AMAX loads, pretty consistant groupings and no failures.
    They have a killer brass-trade-in program if you burn through a ton of rounds, but they only do the really popular stuff. check it out...

Top Bottom