• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right now I will be carrying a g19 as a sidearm in the woods until I can get my hands on something better. How do you guys load your semi autos for snakes? First 3 or 4 shotshells and the rest hp's ? Figured it would be a good thing to have some defense rounds just in case you stumble on a hog or something. What say you?

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never take an autoloader in the woods. my xds in 45 failed to cycle cci shotshells in my back yard.
    my 22/45 won't cycle either with cci shotshells.

my RIA 38sp WG is tops with shotshells and thanks to jakec, my bisley hunter will have his snakeshot involved
    when its time.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is why I take my Glock...LOL If there was dangerous game here I WOULD have a 44mag or better revolver.

I carry a 22 revolver w snake shot in the truck..

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will pick some up in the am if i can find them to try em. Will let you know..

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I usually take my shield40 or single six.
    my full size m&p and shield cycle shotshells flawlessly. I keep my hp's in the extended mag and 3 shotshells and 3 fmj in the little mag. Or in the 6 I do the mag cyl with 2 shotshells, 4 hp's, and 2 colibi quiet ones.

*my g23 doesnt cycle shot.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Woods I will have my mags loaded with 124gr +P Gold dots. More worried about the two legged than snakes. Then carry another mag with some hot FMJ so if there is a hog I can change. I saw a test where a guy was shooting a 45, 40, and 9mm through a frying pan and the only round that didn't pass through was the 45. All ball ammo to. So now my woods carry has gone back to 9mm.

Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I load my 44mag snub nose wheel gun with two snake shots and the rest hps then I take white out and dot the cylinder between the two snake rounds to know where there are if needed in the woods then when needed the whiteout wipes right off

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    G20SF... 10mm 200gr Hornadys ... In the woods I want a HP first, not rat shot
    As soon as I can find a used 20 I will be getting it for the woods. But for now I guess the 19 w/ 147gr. Golden sabres will have to do.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have a couple snake shot in your hand gun sitting in front of your "pig ammo", be it in a pistol or revolver, and you think you are going to be able to get to the "pig stoppers" before that charging hog cuts your ass you are delisional. A hollow point or fmj will kill a snake just fine but snake shot wont do shit to the hog.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have a couple snake shot in your hand gun sitting in front of your "pig ammo", be it in a pistol or revolver, and you think you are going to be able to get to the "pig stoppers" before that charging hog cuts your ass you are delisional. A hollow point or fmj will kill a snake just fine but snake shot wont do shit to the hog.

I run up on snakes constantly at work, home and other places I go. I have yet to see a hog in the wild.

Top Bottom