• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm late in life for deer hunting. This is a before and after of my first buck: an 8 point taken last week. I've taken several does but never a buck. Got a pic of this buck in the food plot 3 mines before I was going to walk out to the stand. I figured he would be gone when he saw me coming with my flashlight not to appear again to the following night. Just barely able to see I could make out movement. I had to watch him for about 15 minutes before there was enough light to take my shot. I figured with my luck as it got more light he would retreat back into the woods and I would never get a shot off.

View attachment 202323
    View attachment 202324
    Very, very nice. Shot placement, caliber?

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    He may be gone before you get there, rut not too far out. Always amazes me of the bucks that we get pics of most of the time disappear during the rut as they’ve traveled somewhere else, and we kill bucks we’ve never got a pic of that are passing through. Mother Nature at work.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We only killed 2 does this year, yesterday was last day to get one on our club, Jan 1 through Feb 10 is bucks only. Our deer population is probably out of hand and next few years will need to thin the does out. We don’t have any meat hunters here, everybody looking for antlers. We enjoy seeing big groups of does feeding around the plots. I know too many is detrimental to good management and we’ll address that in coming years, would like children to harvest some of them, may end up inviting folks with kids next season to take several out.

We do the opposite and wait until late in the GA season to shoot our does after the rut has peaked. The farmer we lease from wants some does taken every year. I just got home from the lease and killed my 2 does for the year over the weekend.

I like antlers, but I also like country fried deer steak, deer chili, deer sausage, deer tacos, deer spaghetti, etc.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    We do the opposite and wait until late in the GA season to shoot our does after the rut has peaked. The farmer we lease from wants some does taken every year. I just got home from the lease and killed my 2 does for the year over the weekend.

I like antlers, but I also like country fried deer steak, deer chili, deer sausage, deer tacos, deer spaghetti, etc.
    When you kill does after the rut then you have killed her and what she’s impregnated with, you have killed possibly 3 deer by shooting a single doe after the rut. I don’t understand that reasoning at all.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This son of a gun, my vacation ended today, still never laid eyes on him, young deer but would still like to see him with my own eyes

Attachments

• 9FE445FA-F964-483B-BFCA-2D396615AD6F.jpeg
      9FE445FA-F964-483B-BFCA-2D396615AD6F.jpeg
      372.8 KB · Views: 37

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When you kill does after the rut then you have killed her and what she’s impregnated with, you have killed possibly 3 deer by shooting a single doe after the rut. I don’t understand that reasoning at all.

Does are still nursing early in the season, so shooting her then puts the living fawn at risk. The die I killed yesterday still had milk in her udder. Would her fawn have survived if she had been killed in October?

Keeping the does around until after the rut helps keep bucks in the area.

It does not matter population wise when does are killed. Taking a healthy doe out eliminates her fawn and descendants whether she is or is not pregnant.

GA still has doe days by zones. I hunt in a zone that allows does to be taken every day of the season up to 10 per licensed hunter. I killed 2, our deer herd will be fine.

Our farmer wants a few less deer eating his corn, cotton and peanuts. We are not hunting forest land.

One size shoe does not fit all feet.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I respectfully disagree, I understand management of deer for crop destruction though.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In 2020, I shot 0 does.

In 2021 I shot one doe as the farmer started encouraging us to shoot a few does.

This year the farmer stated emphatically, y'all need to take some these does. I did my part to keep the landowners happy.

The number one rule of deer lease management is keep the landowners happy!

The rest will sort itself out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Very, very nice. Shot placement, caliber?
    Insofar as shot placement, I believe it was forward of the shoulder. I did not pay any attention initially. The deer was shot on the right side and after looking at the pic of the deer laying on the right side I do not see a bullet exit wound. I believe the bullet hit him in the spine because when the bullet hit he went down, kicked a few times and then never moved again. Believe me, if that was the case, that was not my intended location for shot placement. I was aiming for a double lung/heart shot. The light was very low when I shot or he could have moved.

I was shooting a .243, 100gr, Hornady Interlock.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    He may be gone before you get there, rut not too far out. Always amazes me of the bucks that we get pics of most of the time disappear during the rut as they’ve traveled somewhere else, and we kill bucks we’ve never got a pic of that are passing through. Mother Nature at work.
    Pdf i posted covers this as well.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Not my camera, one of my buddies just texted to me, who thinks southeast alabama doesn’t have some good bucks? Management and not shooting everything you see !

Attachments

• 8252F8C5-DA56-44B0-BDD8-C57B2FDE2B22.jpeg
      8252F8C5-DA56-44B0-BDD8-C57B2FDE2B22.jpeg
      249.1 KB · Views: 49
    • 3A628CDB-8452-4544-85B8-DEF8C7E3C2CF.jpeg
      3A628CDB-8452-4544-85B8-DEF8C7E3C2CF.jpeg
      261.1 KB · Views: 50
    • F01B620C-867F-4028-888C-FE11708F9A78.jpeg
      F01B620C-867F-4028-888C-FE11708F9A78.jpeg
      246.2 KB · Views: 48
    Top Bottom