• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_odom1600

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im looking for a short barreled 12 gauge with a pistol grip no butt stock I like the moss berg 500. Looking to stay very cost effective any ideas or reviews? Best places to look? Thanks for any he

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Short barreled shotguns, under 18", require an NFA stamp. If you are looking for a non-NFA shotgun, then you'll find those all day long at just about any LGS. Both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are very good entry level pump shotguns. I have a 870 tactical that I love and have not had any issues with at all. If you're asking for which is best, then you'll get everyone's "opinion" on what is best, nothing definitive. The best advice in these situations is to go check them out for yourself. Handle them, manipulate the actions and shot them if possible and get the one that you can handle and operate the easiest/cleanest/fastest/etc... Either the 500 or the 870 can be had for under $300 at most LGS.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Have you shot a 12 ga in that configuration? They look cool but most people go back to a butt stock in short order.

Agreed, They're meant to be shot from the hip, which is fine as long as you practice, but it's yet another skill needing to be developed. You can try bringing it up and getting a sight picture, but watch your teeth. I think a folding stock is the best of both worlds with a pump.
    JMO
    Try Beax at Specialty Pawn, I saw a few in there last week. Beaux is a good guy, he'll help you out.
    Good luck with the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JGH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you shot a 12 ga in that configuration? They look cool but most people go back to a butt stock in short order.

Yep. Thats what I did. I have a Mossberg 500 with what I think they call a "home defense kit" which is a pistol grip and an 18 1/2" barrel. I never shot it with the pistol grip. I put the original stock back on because of the advise of an exLEO friend of mine. His reasoning was that you have better control of the gun with the butt stock and it is also a good weapon when used as an uppercut to the jaw. I suppose that would be a last resort if you ran out of ammo.

'
    '

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I did (three rounds of buckshot) that's why I , like others, put the butt stock back on.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My brother has a 500 and played a joke on me. He was shooting low brass #7's pistol style and said I should try. He loaded it with 00 and about broke my wrist.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my mossy 5 hundy! Just put a pistol grip on it, it is best shot from hip. Still a riot no matter how ya shoot. It is one hand also.:)

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Key word, home defense... Yeah, hurts after a couple rounds, but I reckon the person on the bad end will hurt better:). I like the short version, very easy to move around with and I have it in my home, sooooo:)

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pistol grip only shotguns are worthless, shoot one once and youll hate it, best compromise is pistol grip with regular stock benelli style, this can be had on the stevens 320 pump for $200

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I put an ATI adj. stock on my mossy 500 for the house. I like it, not as solid as a thumb hole or full stock, but nice.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have the 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and it is all you will need, put buckshot in it and in a home clearing situation it is deadly and wont break your wrist !

Last edited:

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and it is all you will need, put buckshot in it and in a home clearing situation it is deadly and wont break your wrist !

Yup, got a 20 and it actually kicks harder than the 12. Guessing 'cause it's lighter?

Top Bottom