• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Seems hogs get mixed reviews I would not want them on my own land. To destructive & compete for resources. Most clubs I know try to get rid of them. In fact I know one that has people to trap them all year long & you still see them.

Joe

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Yeah most people try to eradicate them for the damage they do on farm land. We tend to manage them, in timberland they do little damage and are a great hunting & meat resource year round. If you kill 70% a year the population will generally stay constant.

par87

Shooter
    That pic is kind of nuts. Do you think a 12 gauge slug would yield the same results as the 30-30?

well the 30-30 i shoot i use a 170gr soft point and a 12gauge slug is like an 1oz-1 1/2oz. Sooo i hope it would work if not ur up a creek without a paddle.

CCHGN

Banned
    Hit 'em here with a well made bullet. However I do not agree with the "behind the shoulder thing as stated on the pic. You want to take(frag)both lungs and the heart. --- SAWMAN

well, maybe it's me, but that sounds like a contradiction.....hit them there, but not there?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    CCHGN, in hunting it is a matter of tracking a wounded animal, how far do you want him to run after he is shot? We are old men, it is thick and nasty, I like for them to drop where they are shot..Thus shoot them here, not there!

SAWMAN

Master
    Here is another pic for those that want to hit them where THEY determine that the most damage will be done at.

And a pic of what they could possibly encounter on a wounded/pissed off hog,in the stuff so thick that you can only see straight down. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 1530feralhog1_2.jpg
      1530feralhog1_2.jpg
      28.1 KB · Views: 345
    • DSC00815.jpg
      DSC00815.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 339
    Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I had a cousin in TN bounce a .270 bullet off the head of a true Russian Boar in a straight on head shot.
    The boar treed him. It was a couple of hours before the boar wandered off and cuz got up the ballz to come down out of the tree.

flightmedic

Shooter
    I have hog hunted for years. There is placement issues with hogs... for sure. When we trap we kill with a .22 LR by drawing an imiginary X between the eyes and ears. One shot puts them down. However I have ho doubt what so ever at a straight on shot to the head with anything having a ricochet. Also, if you have never dressed a hog....... you have no idea how thick their armor plate is over their vital zone. It is not uncommon for a 150lb hog to have 2" of skin and fatty tissue covering the vitals area prior to making it to the rib cage. So a .22LR in that area might get you to use your climbing gear.

Zeroed in

Master
    Just my .02 cent........ I choot 'em in the ear and/or right behind the shoulder, whichever yeilds the best chot. I perfer a quartering away chot between the ribs and shoulder blade.
    I've never, as of yet, had a hog to travel more than 10yds at best. The majority are DRT'd in their tracks. And I choot 'em with my .17 HMR, and Hornady V-max.
    Some of ya'll talking about your bullets bouncing off their heads, I'd start thinking 'bout chot placement if I were you. But if you hit 'em dead in the mouth, he'll go down, especially with those big calibers ya'lls using. Ain't too bad fer jest an 'ole country boy, huh.... hehehe

SAWMAN

Master
    I have a "little" experience in hog hunting and to answer your own question...."ain't too bad...etc,etc"... --> that is downright poor judgement,and even worse advice to give someone given a potential first time hog hunter just might be reading this.

Lemme see if I get your above correct. You use a 17HMR shooting a V-Max(would that be the 16,17,or 20gr bullet ??)and you shoot them right behind the shoulder...or...quartering away between the ribs and the shoulder blade ?????? And you are saying we "bigger caliber users" should shoot them hogs "dead in the mouth".

I am confident that your above post is a joke....however you should state that so someone will not consider that you just might be serious in giving this.....uhhhhhh.....advice...??? --- SAWMAN :der:

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Saw Man I have seen 17cal on u tube used on hogs and I thought it was way to light but it worked for them BUT what my real question is the only hunting bullets I could find in 223 was the Vmax. Do you think that would have enough peneration to use on Hogs and deer. I know they expand or maybe should say blow up really really soon. All I ever used before was spire point in 222 and they worked quite well. Never had to shoot more than once

Drauka99

Marksman
    I have seen hogs dropped with 223, about 100yds with a head shot. Granted it was FMJ. Will a 223 ALWAYS do the job on a thick hog skull... I doubt it.

38 pretty much point blank wasn't enough or so says a co-worker who was setting traps, he uses 30-30 even in the traps

Zeroed in

Master
    I have a "little" experience in hog hunting and to answer your own question...."ain't too bad...etc,etc"... --> that is downright poor judgement,and even worse advice to give someone given a potential first time hog hunter just might be reading this.

Lemme see if I get your above correct. You use a 17HMR shooting a V-Max(would that be the 16,17,or 20gr bullet ??)

I am confident that your above post is a joke....however you should state that so someone will not consider that you just might be serious in giving this.....uhhhhhh.....advice...??? --- SAWMAN :der:

I just love SA's jumping in on a post and start adding words to them, or insinuating other than what was said. Maybe you should have sent a PM asking I clarify it, then I wouldn't had wrote this.
    Sawman, Did you see anywhere in that post where I used any words such as: "I advise, I suggest, Use this/that, Do this/that,...etc."... No you did not. So where do you get off on insinuating that I was "advising" anyone of anything??? I seen nowhere that I suggested to use a .17 HMR, only that I do. During regular deer season, I use a .243 or a 7mm-08. I did say "shot placement", maybe you missed that? But I will give you this advice: Maybe you "should" ask what a person is impling in a post, before you "assume". And I bet we all can get along.

Now to explain shooting one in the mouth for you.
    Hmm, did I advise anyone to shoot one in the mouth, with a .17hmr, or mention or suggest that "it" was the Perfered bullet placement? Weelll, nooo I did not. So here's the reason I made that statement.
    I once had a 260# Boar, from out of nowhere, charge me. No time to shimmy up a tree, I dropped to one knee, seeing nothing but hugh ears, mouth and huge tusks snapping loudly, (he was po'd about something) I shot him in the mouth with a .243, <10yds away. That folded him, drt. Took out pretty much the whole lower jaw and spine. The sheer closeness between the hog and me, a shot to the chest was not feasable. I did not even see the chest and had I did, the shot placement would have been at a unforgiving downward angle and would have only pissed him off more. Could've been nasty had I shot the head and the round bounced off, huh!!!! Furthermore, If I had the .17 hmr at that time, I have no doubt it would had been just as effective.
    For the Record, I am an experienced hunter. I do not make a shot on any animal if I have any doubt as to the round placement. I have let many a rack deer (8's, 10's and even 12's) walk, because I did not have the shot I wanted.

And just in case you missed it....... I have never had a hog to go more than 10yds after being shot with the 17hmr....The majority drop dead in their tracks.....

So just to make You and PETA feel better...... DO NOT SHOOT A HOG WITH A .17HMR.... DO NOT SHOOT ONE IN THE MOUTH..... Now, is that better....

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Actually your post does read like a .17 is all you use.

sureicanfish

Expert
    Soooo, how much to join a club off-season??? I want to hunt hogs, dangit. Do clubs even do that sort of thing?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    sure if you can get minute of pig accuracy, just like a semi-auto 30-30.

We hunt year round, spend money year round so no we don't let people come in to join off season.

Top Bottom