• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crtis09

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Hey Guys,

I've been offered a 1911 pistol for the price of $550 (trade value). This pistol has a matte black slide and what looks to be a brushed stainless frame both with no markings on them of any kind. Black trigger/grips/hammmer/"backstrap".

The lone marking that I can find is on the barrel and says this, "-COLT .45 AUTO- MK.IV/SERIES '70"

What am I dealing with here? Anyone got any suggestions?

Sorry I can't get pics to upload.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 269
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 261
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    He said the markings were on the barrel.

that's what I said but it has to have a serial number somewhere. I was looking for the colt prefix or suffix in the serial number. I know a little about 1911's as I own 15 right now and have had about 50 or so before now.
    bhk308

Crtis09

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you guys for responding. I'm desperately trying to get the pics put up, but my cpu is being a pain.

As far as I can see from the pics, there aren't any markings of any kind on the exterior of this thing except for what is on the barrel. I'm wondering if it is a kit gun...maybe an officer's pistol?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    NOT a series 70 Colt, if it was at some point, it's been heavily custom-bastardized. To me, it looks like someone's result from playing gunsmith with whatever parts they may have had on hand. $400 would be fair IMO.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    just googled the squared trigger guard and infinity arms produced frames you could buy to build a pistol with.
    could be one but it needs a serial number to be legal. looks like a kit gun
    bhk308

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Lots of people did squared trigger guards over the years. Armand Swenson came up with it in the 70's IIRC.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The hammer, the trigger and the grips look like throwaway ones from other guns. If anyone has any pride in something they built, they're not gonna put $17 grips on it. If it shoots well or is well fitted, both of which I doubt, it may be worth $450 since it has no pedigree, or even a serial, which is another slight snag in what it'd take to get it to be a proper 1911. I'd still stick to $400, you can buy Armscor for that kind of cash. JMO.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not get involved with it at all if there is not a serial #. Could be a set up unless you know the guy, if not there are Cops on here I am pretty sure its illegal to have a gun especially a pistol without a serial #. I wouldn't think someone would be stupid enough to sell a gun on a forum if that's where it came from that has been involved in a crime but with no serial # there is no telling where this thing came from and what its been through.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You can buy bare frames, just as well as 80% lowers. I can't imagine them not being legal to own, but they're probably illegal to transfer before getting a serial. I'm sure there's a process through which you apply for a serial with the ATF, but knowing the ATF it'd be a hassle and not worth it for a half ass gun.

Top Bottom