• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Consider the Bersa .380 Thunderer. Easy to cock and less recoil is what sold my ex on her first pistol. But yes, let her hold, feel, shoot, and pick her gun...

Last edited:

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You will get a lot of opinions, including mine. For someone who has no experience with handguns I would recommend a revolver in .38/.357, or just .38 Special. S&W, Ruger, or Colt, all three make fine revolvers.
    There are a lot of answers but I agree with this 100% in this situation.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    You've got to shoot it or you are a sitting duck. I had an xds45 brand new didn't fire first shot. Not sure if it was primer or what. Racked slide, loaded another and it fired. 3rd round jammed. Racked slide and cleared it and not another issue. Could be your life.

Don't give her a Glock or a sig because of the name. She needs something she's comfortable with.
    Glock 19 is the most common gun on the planet and I do not like any of them in my hand. Lol.
    Just using it as an example.

The 365 is probably a good match. I've got large hands and shoot it well. My p938 is more accurate.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    You may want to introduce her to a Glock 42 (.380) or Glock 43 (9mm). These are small single stack models. I have each of these and they are a blast to shoot. The primary thing for your daughter is to be able to pull the slide back with some ease. I suggest going to a local shop who has these and let her handle them or some other model to see what she can operate without assistance.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My wife loves the Glock 48 with s-15 mags. It just fits well.

she has not shot the p365 or p365xl yet.

she also likes revolvers, but her 38 kicks too much for her to shoot often.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't want to sound like a SA But why don''t you set up a good CCW class for you and her that has a good hands on course. Safely, use of force , and provides , different, types of hand gun you can handle and shoot, from small to Med Rev. and small to Med Auto in diff.Types. This would be a all day class. And would be about 100. per This would be less then paying for range time and gun renter . Just my 5 cents

Of all the posts thus far, this is the one that you need to pay attention to.

This thread already has the typical responses from small revolvers for those less experienced to small semi-autos for ease of carry and concealment.

Bottom line... preparing for and surviving a violent encounter requires a multi-layered approach. Acquiring a quality firearm, training and becoming proficient with that firearm, is just part of the strategy.

Learning about LAWFUL USE OF FORCE, CONFLICT AVOIDANCE, SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, TACTICAL PRECEPTION, and understanding the COMBAT MINDSET are just as critical to an overall survival response strategy IMO.

I'm not a fan of the smaller handguns. Each year my agency qualifies close to 600 retired LEO's under HR 218... by far the smaller handguns are the problematic ones, and these are in the hands of folks who have owned and shot them for years.

Two friends of mine survived an Armed Robbery attempt where BOTH of them had their small semi-autos jam at the same time, I share their story in my training classes. One was a Kahr the other a G43. Both malfunctions were shooter induced.

The Kahr had the magazine become unseated during pocket draw causing a 1-shot situation, and upon moving to cover and tap/rack, the slide was inadvertently short stroked resulting in a dead trigger when my friend had sight picture and attempted to fire. The G43 went into slide lock on the second shot due to the shooters thumb pressing upwards on the slide stop... a common malfunction with small semi-autos. They are alive today because 1) their attacked didn't know shit about tactics, and 2) their training and experiences allowed them to remain calm, not panic. Fortunately one of the previous shots from the G43 connected and the suspect fled.

ANY gun is better than no gun, and the best gun is the one you have ready to bring into action... I get it. But with VERY LITTLE EFFORT the mid-sized pistols can be carried and offer less chance of malfunction. This is not an opinion, this is based on what I see in training, at work, and during my own classes.

Again, you might want to consider what the above post is offering.

EDIT TO ADD- my two friends are experienced LEO's with YEARS of tactical training and experience. Both have vowed not to carry the small pistols ever again. I honestly believe their prior training and experiences allowed them not to freeze up.

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My wife loves the Glock 48 with s-15 mags. It just fits well.

she has not shot the p365 or p365xl yet.

she also likes revolvers, but her 38 kicks too much for her to shoot often.
    Has she shot Hornady lite 38spl 90 gr xtp with a milder powder , moves faster less jump and kick .

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    show her the LCP .22 LR... no recoil, easy to hold on target, and 11 rounds...

she can shoot it a thousand time for little money.....

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I never try and a tell some one what they need, But I do try and teach them how to determine what is best for what they are trying to accomplish with the knowledge I have learned from others and my own experience as Bowhntr6pt said when that one time comes, you hope you are up to it, having been there I know and it is hard to explain, One way I try and to bring it out is , I ask is how much personal protection has every one done today. No one usually will respond . Then I refer who drove today , and get them to tell me all the things they did to drive the car and what they did while driving. This no difference when ccw. Now I have had to tell a few that the hand gun they got is not for them. this after they had been trying to shoot it , and at this point they usually agree with me. But this was what the expect at the gun shop told them or what all of they buddies told to them get or got it from U-tube. This a pet peeve of mine, I could to on and on so I will shut up. So go your way Just my 5 cents jj

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Had not thought about the revolver. You have me thinking...
    My wife has very tiny hands and feet. She still shops for shoes in the kids section. She swears by her old steel frame DA/SA S&W J Frame 38 Special that she's owned for like 25 years and her CZ82. The CZ is in 9x18 caliber, but the same gun with a different barrel is available in 380 as the CZ83. I have CZ's in both calibers currently and have had several other CZ82's in the past, as I come across package deals and buy them for the mags, holsters and accessories. They are a rock solid product, military and police issue in the Czech Republic. I've tried everything else with her, and she won't have any of it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Consider the Bersa .380 Thundersomething. Easy to cook and less recoil is what sold my ex on her first pistol. But yes, let her hold, feel, shoot, and pick her gun...
    The Bersa 380 is a South American clone of a 9x18 Makarov. I've owned a Bersa and carried it for years. Liked it a lot, but went back to double stack magazines. The same Bersa/Makarov fixed barrel operating system is on the double stack 12 and 13 round mag capacity CZ82 and 83 Makarov clones I just mentioned in another post above this one. The Russian Makarov design is a tried and true military and police small gun that was mass produced by the millions all across Russia and every country that signed on with Russia for like 50 or 60 years straight. They don't last long in stores and it's hard to find a store to stock them because of the low price and low profit margin. They'd rather sell you a new Sig or new Glock at double or triple the cost of the new Bersa or surplus Makarov. Grey Man Armory in Milton just this past year sold a used "like new" trade-in Bersa 380 for LESS than $200 out the door after tax. CZ82's are not available new and never have been, although some have been available in a "like new" unissued condition. The CZ82 prices ranged from $150 when first imported to about $450 now, depending on condition. The CZ83 was sold new retail in America for about $600.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210815-021619_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210815-021619_Chrome.jpg
      449.7 KB · Views: 63
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I too carried the bersa for about 10 years. So long In fact it went from black to purple colored. (frame) Good shooter.
    My Bersa 380 was nickel plated and I tried to rust it up and knock off the nickel and I didn't cut it any slack at all... and it just kept running, looking all shiny and new. Never flaked or rusted or anything. Sweated all over it. Wouldn't clean it until it started clogging up from carbon on like 300 round range sessions. Just kept working. Stellar performance

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Consider the Bersa .380 Thunderer. Easy to cock and less recoil is what sold my ex on her first pistol. But yes, let her hold, feel, shoot, and pick her gun...

In full disclosure, we both shot it fine. But we were having constant failures. We bought a new factory magazine. Problem solved.
    And the front sight fell out!
    So I wasn't that impressed for a new gun.
    But I like the design and it seemed solid except for the mag and sight.

Tovarish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    +1 on trying a number of different handguns to see what fits and what she is comfortable shooting. It’s like buying a vehicle, or a pair of shoes. Lots of choices and what you buy needs to fit you, and the task it will perform. Ask the question, how will it be carried? On body, only at home, in a vehicle? That makes a difference in what frame size will work.
    Just my humble opinion, I would not start a new shooter with a small, lightweight handgun in a major caliber. I have a S&W 442 air weight 38 caliber. Lightweight? Check. Concealable? Check. Reliable? Check. Easy or comfortable to shoot with it’s heavy double action trigger, minimal sights, tiny grip and short sight radius? Oh no.

Top Bottom