• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilvr1983

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My daughter wants a handgun for self defense. She is very petite.

I told her I will get one for her for Christmas after we both go to IN person handgun handling classes.

I am not much of a gun person myself. I do have a new Glock 26 and Sig Sauer P365 that I occasionally carry; I have never shot a round thru them.

I am unsure if either of these would be a safe fit for her. (Or me for that matter!!)

What handgun would you recommend for small hands (grip) and a first time user? In either 38 or 9mm.

Thank you

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Bring her to a shop and let her get a feel for what guns fit her hands / what guns she's comfortable with - and don't get boxed in on caliber. It's hard to recommend a pistol for self defense purposes without being there in person with her... don't know how big her hands are, is she comfortable with recoil (small carry pistols will have a "snappy" or more pronounced recoil than a duty size pistol), can she rack a slide or does she need a revolver, so on and so forth.

Both of you need to get some rounds downrange though, especially if you're already carrying. Need to know how your gun feels, where it hits, are you confident with it, etc. When she picks out a particular pistol, see if you can find a range that will let you rent it and try it out.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    You will get a lot of opinions, including mine. For someone who has no experience with handguns I would recommend a revolver in .38/.357, or just .38 Special. S&W, Ruger, or Colt, all three make fine revolvers. "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus", LOL. You can shoot .38's in a .357, so there is a lot of versatility there. Revolver all the way for someone who is not an experienced shooter. Make sure that she handles the gun, and that it fits her hand, and that she is comfortable with it. If all all possible rent the model that she likes, so that she is sure that she is comfortable with it before you buy one for her. JMHO.

Pilvr1983

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. I would never carry a firearm that I'd had not fired, regardless of brand or model.
    2. Shoot them.
    3. Let her shoot them.
    4. Evaluate # 2 & 3.
    I knew I was going to be in trouble with my statement but I need to be honest. I do need to shoot with her.

Pilvr1983

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bring her to a shop and let her get a feel for what guns fit her hands / what guns she's comfortable with - and don't get boxed in on caliber. It's hard to recommend a pistol for self defense purposes without being there in person with her... don't know how big her hands are, is she comfortable with recoil (small carry pistols will have a "snappy" or more pronounced recoil than a duty size pistol), can she rack a slide or does she need a revolver, so on and so forth.

Both of you need to get some rounds downrange though, especially if you're already carrying. Need to know how your gun feels, where it hits, are you confident with it, etc. When she picks out a particular pistol, see if you can find a range that will let you rent it and try it out.
    Thank you. From the responses, I need just as much work as she. Thank you.

Pilvr1983

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You will get a lot of opinions, including mine. For someone who has no experience with handguns I would recommend a revolver in .38/.357, or just .38 Special. S&W, Ruger, or Colt, all three make fine revolvers. "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus", LOL. You can shoot .38's in a .357, so there is a lot of versatility there. Revolver all the way for someone who is not an experienced shooter. Make sure that she handles the gun, and that it fits her hand, and that she is comfortable with it. If all all possible rent the model that she likes, so that she is sure that she is comfortable with it before you buy one for her. JMHO.
    Had not thought about the revolver. You have me thinking...

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I knew I was going to be in trouble with my statement but I need to be honest. I do need to shoot with her.
    You're not in trouble, but you could be if caught unprepared in a self defense situation. Most people would agree that it's extremely important to at least familiarize with your weapon(s), especially if you're carrying one, and the more practice you get, the better. Also, Oak Ridge Range in Gulf Breeze (near the flea market) has a good variety of handguns in stock as well as quite a few for rent.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    You're not in trouble, but you could be if caught unprepared in a self defense situation. Most people would agree that it's extremely important to at least familiarize with your weapon(s), especially if you're carrying one, and the more practice you get, the better. Also, Oak Ridge Range in Gulf Breeze (near the flea market) has a good variety of handguns in stock as well as quite a few for rent.
    I am very impressed with Oak Ridge. I would recommend it too.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Since both of your pistols are a little on the small size , either one might be good fit for your daughter , but may be on the "to small for your hand" I would suggest that invest in some ammo and spend some time seeing how both pistols feel in both of you'll hands when fired.

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I'd agree with Fanner, revolvers are a good go to, something in .38 and make sure she handles it and likes it before buying.
    I personally really like the options out there in .32ACP for auto pistols for carry and own a number of .32ACP handguns, but many think .32 is not suitable for self defense, but there are great defense rounds available.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't want to sound like a SA But why don''t you set up a good CCW class for you and her that has a good hands on course. Safely, use of force , and provides , different, types of hand gun you can handle and shoot, from small to Med Rev. and small to Med Auto in diff.Types. This would be a all day class. And would be about 100. per This would be less then paying for range time and gun renter . Just my 5 cents

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You heard it earlier. Take her to a store and let her handle them...then find someone who has one (or more) that she liked and shoot them.
    Then get some one on one training and practice practice practice.
    Don't get set on a certain brand or type and try not to let your prejudices influence her decisions

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It can be a long reach for cadet length fingers to get to the front of the trigger on a double action revolver. Shooting a D/A revolver in Single Action (Finger cocking the trigger) works well for target shooting. But unless it's practiced often, real world self defense will usually be Double Action so make sure that little trigger finger makes it all the way up to the trigger in double action operation.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    S&W K frame chambered in 357 . Start her off with 38 special ammo . As she progresses you can up the power on the ammo . Model 13 , Model 19 , Model 65 or 66 with a 3 or 4" barrel .
    If she becomes a shooter then you can introduce her to semi-autos . IMHO for a first gun keep it simple .

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cant tell you the # of times guys would come in to the shop I worked at an tell us "I know what kind of gun she wants/needs.
    Next day"She" comes back with him in tow asking to trade in his choice for what she wants.
    Always better to have the newbee try out a bunch of different guns and shoot them before paying out.

Top Bottom