• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah makes me wonder if a dog in heat smells the same to them as a coyote in general or not? Not sure. I guess they just show up regardless and if it ain't what they want they instead just eat it I guess lol. Very freaky tho to hear them in large numbers

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Actually, I found it to be quite a fright. There were quite a few and quite close. I went in and got 'ol big boy and changed into my Sgt. Rock persona but they had moved on.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Back in the early 90's I had a pack of coyotes come into the yard howling under the bedroom window about 2:00 am.
    Went on for a couple nights and I noticed one of my dogs was coming in heat.

Third night was a charm, I turned her loose when the howling started.

Not sure what the coyotes had in mind...but the only thing getting pounded was their arses. I figured they would try to gang up on her and that is what I was counting on. After letting her go...I counted to about 45 and turned a second dog loose.....45...... a third dog loose....45 and the fourth dog loose. I have no idea how many coyotes there were....but I know 4 didn't make it!!!! LOL!!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FYI ---> coyotes are not a "pack" animal like wolves. There is no APHA FEMALE that leeds the group. They come and go at will. Extra's will be added or subtracted. Anybody will breed with anybody.
    They do no do as much of a coordinated hunt as wolves do. There is no clear leader.
    Most of the time that you hear them barking/howling is is to coordinate the location of the close by others.
    Sometimes the create a ruckus if they are in the training mode or in the chaseing pray mode.
    Coyotes bring down EXTREMELY FEW deer. For a yote or even 3 or 4 yotes to intentionally tangle with a full grown doe and especially an antlered buck,is rare.
    Newborn fawns are a different thing,however most does are pretty protective. Yotes do love afterbirth or man made gut piles.
    They will seek out the weak,broken legs,or deer with pneumonia and limited lung capacity.
    The bigger Maine bobcats take quite a few deer. I have killed them that were >50lbs and a warden told me that he weighed one that was 65lbs.
    They typically come off a tree branch,lock on to the back of the neck,and just ride it out.
    - -> The above info was obtained by going to many seminars put on by the Maine DIFW (Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife),talking to countless state biologists and wardens,college professors, and reading their incident reports.
    You should not fall for tales from "bubba" and "uncle Jimmy".
    As a side note - -> down here in Flah - Duh,coyotes kill EXTREMELY FEW turkeys. This,from FWC officers and biologists.---- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    here I can give mine everything except Rabies..it has to come from a Vet...rest of it you can buy at the Co-Op TSC might even have it.

a pack of coyotes will likely be a family unit and I have read where they accept singles at times

Last edited:

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    FYI ---> coyotes are not a "pack" animal like wolves. There is no APHA FEMALE that leeds the group. They come and go at will. Extra's will be added or subtracted. Anybody will breed with anybody.
    They do no do as much of a coordinated hunt as wolves do. There is no clear leader.
    Most of the time that you hear them barking/howling is is to coordinate the location of the close by others.
    Sometimes the create a ruckus if they are in the training mode or in the chaseing pray mode.
    Coyotes bring down EXTREMELY FEW deer. For a yote or even 3 or 4 yotes to intentionally tangle with a full grown doe and especially an antlered buck,is rare.
    Newborn fawns are a different thing,however most does are pretty protective. Yotes do love afterbirth or man made gut piles.
    They will seek out the weak,broken legs,or deer with pneumonia and limited lung capacity.
    The bigger Maine bobcats take quite a few deer. I have killed them that were >50lbs and a warden told me that he weighed one that was 65lbs.
    They typically come off a tree branch,lock on to the back of the neck,and just ride it out.
    - -> The above info was obtained by going to many seminars put on by the Maine DIFW (Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife),talking to countless state biologists and wardens,college professors, and reading their incident reports.
    You should not fall for tales from "bubba" and "uncle Jimmy".
    As a side note - -> down here in Flah - Duh,coyotes kill EXTREMELY FEW turkeys. This,from FWC officers and biologists.---- SAWMAN
    You say no pack...then describe what animals do when they pack together???

I've never understood why so many are so scared of coyotes. I've spent lots of time in the woods with them around.

Dead deer seem to be one of their favorites around here. I've seen many deer killed and not found till the next day only to have a pack of coyotes eat about half of the carcase.

Bears seem to like the gut piles as well.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The thing that is most overlooked around here are the hogs. If they ever develop a taste for blood they will eat anything and they become more dangerous. This is why some deer herds leave an area, when they drop a fawn the hogs immediately eat it. Had a friend kill a good deer , went to get his truck and when he got back he heard a commotion, thinking it was coyotes he hollered at them but it was hogs. When he was finally able to retrieve his deer they had eaten half of it. There seem to be more hogs than coyotes around here so it pays to be aware of your surroundings. I need to add hogs don’t scavenge like the coyote, they like fresh kill. Over on the Tensaw river they used to have a Grinnell tournament, when it was over they would take all the catch (several hundred pounds) and dump them up and down the river were there were catch pins for the swamp cows. I was told that the hogs would come running to get at the fish. This is when there weren’t any hogs except for in the swamp.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Coyotes DO NOT pack together ??
    4 yotes could possibly run together. Tomorrow night could only be 2 or three of the four.
    Coyotes are not a pack animal.
    NOW - -> believe whatever the fork you want to. --- SAWMAN

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Coyotes DO NOT pack together ??
    4 yotes could possibly run together. Tomorrow night could only be 2 or three of the four.
    Coyotes are not a pack animal.
    NOW - -> believe whatever the fork you want to. --- SAWMAN

That's a Mule....Right???? Or is it just a plain ole JackAss LOL!!!! :rolleyes: :D :D

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I lived in the Western NC Smoky Mountains we had quite a few coyote/ red wolf hybrids. This was the result of genius wildlife biologists re-introducing red wolves to the Smoky Mountains. :rolleyes: They interbred with the local coyotes resulting in the hybrids. They would run 60-80 lbs and were very often very dark colored or completely black.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The thing that is most overlooked around here are the hogs. If they ever develop a taste for blood they will eat anything and they become more dangerous. This is why some deer herds leave an area, when they drop a fawn the hogs immediately eat it. Had a friend kill a good deer , went to get his truck and when he got back he heard a commotion, thinking it was coyotes he hollered at them but it was hogs. When he was finally able to retrieve his deer they had eaten half of it. There seem to be more hogs than coyotes around here so it pays to be aware of your surroundings. I need to add hogs don’t scavenge like the coyote, they like fresh kill. Over on the Tensaw river they used to have a Grinnell tournament, when it was over they would take all the catch (several hundred pounds) and dump them up and down the river were there were catch pins for the swamp cows. I was told that the hogs would come running to get at the fish. This is when there weren’t any hogs except for in the swamp.
    Grinnell......Now there's something I've not heard in a long time.

I know a couple fellers that would go by the local butcher and get the meat scraps from the band saw...said it worked great for hog bait.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting... I'll have to research the Main Coydog.

My research and discussion with others have led me to have the opinion breeding between coyotes and dogs is much more rare than most folks believe. Some will say inbreeding happens often, according to scientists and DNA, it appears that's not accurate.

When researching discoloration in coyotes, the interest was generated by the four Husky looking coyotes I've killed and posted pics here several times, I discovered The Atlanta Coyote Project.

A pretty informative site. The information in interesting.

Thanks for that link--I've looked at coydog info from general interest in what I see in Blackwater versus Eglin, but just never ran across it. What I see in BW tends to be more traditional coyote and in Eglin it usually appears to be a larger, "more muscly" interbreed variant. The red wolf interbreeding makes sense.

I did see a pure white yote in BW years ago in turkey season. Came in and snatched one of my dekes by the neck and ran about 20 yards with it. Makes you wish for a GoPro on your gun then.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The interbreeding also makes me wonder about "pack" behavior. I don't know that I've ever seen more than one at a time in Blackwater or out west. But, I see the "interbreeds" running together in Eglin all the time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The interbreeding also makes me wonder about "pack" behavior. I don't know that I've ever seen more than one at a time in Blackwater or out west. But, I see the "interbreeds" running together in Eglin all the time.

The most I ever saw at one time was five, I got three of them.

I've seen multiple trios but they were either all young or mom with kids.

Pairs are common.

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Probably illegal, as the govt. always sees to it that my best interests are looked after, but I'd love to snatch a pup and hand raise it.

Not sure if I could tame it enough, I suppose if I got it early enough, but I'd give it a go.

Probably get all soft and stop shooting yotes...lol.
    I have very limited experience concerning the "taming" of coyotes. My one experience stems from a brief stint working with Fish and Wildlife at Ft. Sill Oklahoma while recovering from surgery. They kinda like Artillery guys because they can actually read a map and post range fans received from Range Control!
    Anyhoo....we had a few coyotes that were raised from pups in our wildlife exhibits. Just like regular puppies, with the exception of being a little "nippy" when young, but would bite your A## when they got older! One second everything is ok the next you are counting fingers....

Tyndall AFB in Panama City used to have a deal that if you shot a "coydog" you would get a free hunting permit the next year...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have very limited experience concerning the "taming" of coyotes. My one experience stems from a brief stint working with Fish and Wildlife at Ft. Sill Oklahoma while recovering from surgery. They kinda like Artillery guys because they can actually read a map and post range fans received from Range Control!
    Anyhoo....we had a few coyotes that were raised from pups in our wildlife exhibits. Just like regular puppies, with the exception of being a little "nippy" when young, but would bite your A## when they got older! One second everything is ok the next you are counting fingers....

Tyndall AFB in Panama City used to have a deal that if you shot a "coydog" you would get a free hunting permit the next year...

I think raccoons are the same way. My cousin had one, sweet one minute and dangerously violent the next. That raccoon did what he wanted, when he wanted.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think raccoons are the same way. My cousin had one, sweet one minute and dangerously violent the next. That raccoon did what he wanted, when he wanted.
    All wild animals raised in captivity are different and all, ultimately, are unpredictable. Back in the 70s, my cousin had a coon raised from a baby. Once full grown (and it got big), it was happy to let you know it was the boss. That acting out was pretty rare, but I just never trusted it. Later I saw a wild one with rabies latched on to somebody, and it had to be killed in place to get it off. Made me double glad I never trusted the "pet".

I've got a 7 year old female feral cat that was born in my backyard. We took her and her brother when she was at 10 weeks or so. I've fed her 2 times a day since then. She's still pretty skittish and won't let me pick her up more than a foot or so off the ground. She's never bitten me, but a wrong move and I wouldn't put it past her. She's got some wild in her that will just never go away, and she's barely removed from a house cat.

joebagodonuts

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To resurrect an old thread, this last year was my first season hunting and the fellow who took me out despised coyotes for what they do, or were suspected of doing, to the deer population. Whether on public or private land, is there any merit to the belief that a higher coyote population means a lower deer population? More specifically in rural areas where there are some houses and farms around and we aren't talking thousands of uninhabited acres like out in Eglin. It seems the internet is full of coyote hunting info, but not a lot for this region of the Panhandle etc.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never seen one mid-bite on a deer, but they eat pretty much anything they can find. Deer, particularly younger/smaller ones, are on the menu. I know I've had them coming to my turkey setups and calling in Eglin and BW for the last several years. Like most predators, they are opportunists.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I hear them quite often in the swamp behind me off of sorrento. I met a guy that is the owners nephew of the swamp behind me. He said every deer he saw while hunting was being chased by coyotes. I have had pigs, goats, and cows for 2 years so far. Only lost one piglet to date, and im betting coyotes got it. The one i saw in the yard and the one i have on camera was very healthy.

Top Bottom