• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Heard a pack last night here. Which is weird cause I have neighbors situated right in the woods where I heard them. But the neighbors have outside dogs I think maybe and they draw coyotes in.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah they sure will. They don't care what type either btw. My mom and dad raised chihuahuas for years. They had about 60 or so at any given time for a while lol. But they lived out in Lillian in middle of a clear cut 400 acre farm area on about a 2 acre plot that is wrapped with chain link fence. So they stayed safe. But dam near every night that whole 400 acres would come alive as they smelled them dang chihuahuas lol. They had a big security light on a light pole and it lit the whole property up and the coyotes would stay just outside the lighted area. But some nights I'd shine a Q-Beam out and see just tons of eyes everywhere lol. They was bad over there. You'd sometimes even see them at daytime. But yeah they don't care what kind of dog it is

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If a female domestic dog is in heat,it will draw the yotes. Males AND females.
    This is how the Maine coydog came about. --- SAWMAN

Interesting... I'll have to research the Main Coydog.

My research and discussion with others have led me to have the opinion breeding between coyotes and dogs is much more rare than most folks believe. Some will say inbreeding happens often, according to scientists and DNA, it appears that's not accurate.

When researching discoloration in coyotes, the interest was generated by the four Husky looking coyotes I've killed and posted pics here several times, I discovered The Atlanta Coyote Project.

A pretty informative site. The information in interesting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not feel that this breeding takes place extremely often ... although not rare.
    There were never tons of coydogs in Maine. I have killed three but I had sports kill three more.
    After bread in,it is quickly bresd out in just a couple generations. Kinda like domestic swine and feral hogs.
    I had a biologist talk me out of one of my kills. A 32lb female. He did studies but never returned the animal too me.
    In Maine they were legal to kill as long as there were coyote genes in the mix. I passed on several dogs because they looked heavy,if not all domestic dog.
    This was an extremely rural area of Maine,with limited farms and no planted crops or more than "for their own use " livestock. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I do not feel that this breeding takes place extremely often ... although not rare.
    There were never tons of coydogs in Maine. I have killed three but I had sports kill three more.
    After bread in,it is quickly bresd out in just a couple generations. Kinda like domestic swine and feral hogs.
    I had a biologist talk me out of one of my kills. A 32lb female. He did studies but never returned the animal too me.
    In Maine they were legal to kill as long as there were coyote genes in the mix. I passed on several dogs because they looked heavy,if not all domestic dog.
    This was an extremely rural area of Maine,with limited farms and no planted crops or more than "for their own use " livestock. --- SAWMAN

Would you happen to have a pic? Do they look "a little" different or is it something you can spot rather easily?

In nature, I'm sure lots of "stuff" happens.

I really wish I could have had DNA done on one or two of the ones I killed, would have been intersting to know why they looked so much like a husky.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Never seen a black coydog. Seen extremely light colored ones (tans) and some that were quite red.
    A DIFW biologist old me this is typical for Maine coydogs.
    Came close to shooting several german sheppards. That was in the mountains directly in back of a major ski area. Warden told me that the skiers from down south just dump their dogs so the did not have to take them home. (???)
    I quit hunting there.
    The coydogs had a somewhat different muzzle and longer ears. Their print was bigger and they took a longer splayed stride.
    All this was hard to tell at distance and impossible at night.
    Let me see if I can find a photo. ---- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Isn't it mating season now for yotes...that's what you should run on the call probably.

I have killed a couple of the black ones here with blaze chest

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Coyotes usually have litters in February.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    They den up to have their young. For the first several weeks th hunting/ calling id poor.
    Your shots will be only at males,and they are super skittish.
    The dens could be under a dug out stump or blow- down or in a secluderd sandy bank.
    Some years ago I found a avtive den in Eglin. I set up on it at 40 yds. Late afternoon they started coming out. After the first shot three more half grown pups came out on a tare.
    I killed the rest using 3",12ga "BB",from my Benelli. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Probably illegal, as the govt. always sees to it that my best interests are looked after, but I'd love to snatch a pup and hand raise it.

Not sure if I could tame it enough, I suppose if I got it early enough, but I'd give it a go.

Probably get all soft and stop shooting yotes...lol.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is a great example of a big male coydog.
    This male weighed 52lbs. Killed him at sunrise with my 24" Bushmaster using 52gr SMK's at 3270fps. Range was 127yds on one of my baits.
    A taxidermist buddy of mine gave me $75. for him.
    Full mount ... he came out beautiful. He was sold to a doctor in Cape Cod. --- SAWMAN
    20220115_182145.jpg

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heard a pack last night here. Which is weird cause I have neighbors situated right in the woods where I heard them. But the neighbors have outside dogs I think maybe and they draw coyotes in.

I went to push the garbage out about a month ago and don't think I have ever heard so many. Breeding I guess, I went back out with the H&K with a green light and they just quit. Smelled me and snuck off I reckon. Will put the call out next time.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Probably illegal, as the govt. always sees to it that my best interests are looked after, but I'd love to snatch a pup and hand raise it.

Not sure if I could tame it enough, I suppose if I got it early enough, but I'd give it a go.

Probably get all soft and stop shooting yotes...lol.
    I dug up a den some years ago while working and wiped all of them out but one which I managed to catch. She was quite small but she seemed to act just like any other puppy. She associated me with food rather quickly. I carried her to several vets for shots but not one would touch her. All advised me to kill her. I refused as I'd already killed the rest with a bulldozer so I felt I owed this little one a chance. She only lasted a month or so and I found her dead one morning which I assumed was from some sickness.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I dug up a den some years ago while working and wiped all of them out but one which I managed to catch. She was quite small but she seemed to act just like any other puppy. She associated me with food rather quickly. I carried her to several vets for shots but not one would touch her. All advised me to kill her. I refused as I'd already killed the rest with a bulldozer so I felt I owed this little one a chance. She only lasted a month or so and I found her dead one morning which I assumed was from some sickness.

Hate to hear that. Did you give her your own shots?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I went to push the garbage out about a month ago and don't think I have ever heard so many. Breeding I guess, I went back out with the H&K with a green light and they just quit. Smelled me and snuck off I reckon. Will put the call out next time.
    Yeah makes me wonder if a dog in heat smells the same to them as a coyote in general or not? Not sure. I guess they just show up regardless and if it ain't what they want they instead just eat it I guess lol. Very freaky tho to hear them in large numbers

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hate to hear that. Did you give her your own shots?
    No, I did not. I had no idea what she would need or where I'd get it. I do know there are several different Rabies vaccine and if you give the wrong one they could come down with an active case. I sure didn't want to risk that with my family. I figured they don't get vaccines in the wild so she'd be fine. I figured wrong I reckon.

Top Bottom