• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After shooting a variety of guns, the wife feels most comfortable with a larger frame. Suggestions for a good carry weapon.... It will be in a purse, and like most women, she carries small suitcases for purses.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would highly recomend her not carrying in her purse. We can all shoot larger framed handguns better than the smaller concealable handguns but most of us make concessions when choosing a conceal carry firearm. I recomend her handling several handguns that are easily concealable and choosing the mst comfortable. I also recomend her wearing the firearm.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I get that on person would be best, but that's probably not gonna happen most of the time. Purse is better than nothing, and comfortable is better than uncomfortable.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    G19/23, CZ p-07, XDM 3.8, 1911 commander, etc, etc.. does she want 9, 40, 45, 38 super, 357.. wheel gun, auto.. is she recoil sensitive?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    While I'd usually recommend a lightweight 1911, it's not the best for purse carry. 1911 must be properly secured in a good leather holster IMO.

Is it the grip or the barrel length that is most crucial to her shooting? If it's the grip, I'd recommend an XDS 9mm with the extended mags. If it's more about the sight radius, I'd recommend a Smith K-frame with a 4" barrel and a trigger job. As a plus , they can both be worn pretty easily, the XDS much more so, of course. I know it's a little gun, but with the extended mags, and in 9mm, it really doesn't feel like one.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    While I'd usually recommend a lightweight 1911, it's not the best for purse carry. 1911 must be properly secured in a good leather holster IMO.

Is it the grip or the barrel length that is most crucial to her shooting? If it's the grip, I'd recommend an XDS 9mm with the extended mags. If it's more about the sight radius, I'd recommend a Smith K-frame with a 4" barrel and a trigger job. As a plus , they can both be worn pretty easily, the XDS much more so, of course. I know it's a little gun, but with the extended mags, and in 9mm, it really doesn't feel like one.
    Dan is correct about the 1911, I just threw it in the list since "large frame" covers a broad spectrum of choices.. not because i advocate purse carry for said firearm.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dan is correct about the 1911, I just threw it in the list since "large frame" covers a broad spectrum of choices.. not because i advocate purse carry for said firearm.
    Yes, the possibilities are very broad, maybe OP can be a bit more specific in her reason for her preferences.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Or perhaps gives us a list of what she shot and what she was most comfortable / shot the best.
    For my Wife i took her to the gun show and had her hold any gun she liked until she picked one up and said "ohhhhh" then I bought it and took her to the range (who happened to be having a amateur competition) she entered with said gun and took first place..

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    That's awesome! What did she shoot?
    My wife wanted the M&P9C, I think mostly since that's what she shot with JJ, but I'm gonna have her rent the XDS 9 or the shield since I think they'll carry better for her.

One thing is for sure, living with all the other things that abound in the black hole that is a woman's purse it'll need a relatively stiff trigger, and/or a good safety IMO.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    S&W 66 4" 357.. also if she is going to purse carry alot i would say no exposed hammer to reduce chances of hang ups drawing

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    9.... She liked m&p 9 the best so far, combination of grip, kick, and she shot better with it. She's new to shooting, she may change later, but we'll cross that bridge then. Thinking of this for the purse..http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/PurseDefender.aspx

M&P9c's your answer. It shoots just as well, but conceals much easier. Convince her now and she'll thank you for it later.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May have to give that one a try. I carry a .40c, which she thought was to much for her.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    That purse defender looks pretty functional. May have to get one for the misses.

Good luck telling the missus telling her what purse to use. Lol.

Anyway, I don't know if you have the extended mags for your 40C, but with the full size mags and sleeves, the M&PC's gain a very comfortable full size grip. Here is one next to a 1911. The slide is really also not much shorter than a full size.
    gyrydepa.jpg

y9avugyg.jpg

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the good input, I think I'm gonna give the M&P Compact with an extended mag a try. As far as the purse goes, if it doesn't say Coach or Michael Kors, she's probably not carrying it....unless the price tage moves up to the exorbitant range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom