• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    I did not read the report /out come on that either nor was i there but i bet there is more to the story then one sentence .
    Oh, there's more to it.... far more abuses of one's civil rights.

Mr. Leggett was lawfully in his front yard, feeding their pet tortoise with his young daughter when the neighbor's pitbill got loose and acted aggressively towards his daughter. Being the father that he was, he was shielding his daughter and trying to get her inside, when at the same time. DBPD showed up on the neighbor's property. Mr. Leggett called for help and instead of DBPD assisting him, the officer on scene saw that he had a holster GLOCK tucked into his waistband and handcuffed him.

The on-scene officer told Mr. Leggett he was under arrest for open carry. When Mr. Leggett informed the officer about FL Chapter 790's specific exemption regarding open carry on one's own property. The on-scene officer told him to fly a kite. When even another officer told the on-scene officer the same. That officer didn't care.

Furthermore, the on-scene officer threatened his young daughter, including pointing a loaded firearm at her, and later threatened Mr. Leggett's wife, by claiming he was going to call child protective services to take their daughter away.

Mr. Leggett was cuffed and stuffed into a DBPD cruiser, taken to county lock-up, and had to face the hurdles that comes with an (unlawful) arrest. His employer suspended him, he was social pariah, and he had to fight to get his name cleared.

The State Attorney's Office dropped the charges of course, but as they say. "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride." And that's exactly what happened. As for the on-scene officer, he got a slap on the wrist and nothing more.

Mr. Leggett is now one of our complainants against the State of Florida in our lawsuit against the Open Carry and Under-21 Carry ban.

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

Expert
    One of the agencies I worked for was wrong on training. This was before we got permitless concealed-only carry passed last year and ushered in universal reciprocity for anyone visiting Florida. Anyways, during training, we were going over the recognition of FL's CCW permits. The agency instructor said the following:

"If you come across anyone with a FL CCW permit, but they have an out-of-state driver's license, you arrest them for carrying without a permit."

I had to stand up, shake my head, and tell the instructor that they're dead wrong. I explained that FL issues permits to non-residents and as it is perfectly legal for someone to have a FL issued CCW and have an out-of-state DL on them and be able to carry within the state.

The instructor was shocked that FL would do such a thing.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Oh, there's more to it.... far more abuses of one's civil rights.

Mr. Leggett was lawfully in his front yard, feeding their pet tortoise with his young daughter when the neighbor's pitbill got loose and acted aggressively towards his daughter. Being the father that he was, he was shielding his daughter and trying to get her inside, when at the same time. DBPD showed up on the neighbor's property. Mr. Leggett called for help and instead of DBPD assisting him, the officer on scene saw that he had a holster GLOCK tucked into his waistband and handcuffed him.

The on-scene officer told Mr. Leggett he was under arrest for open carry. When Mr. Leggett informed the officer about FL Chapter 790's specific exemption regarding open carry on one's own property. The on-scene officer told him to fly a kite. When even another officer told the on-scene officer the same. That officer didn't care.

Furthermore, the on-scene officer threatened his young daughter, including pointing a loaded firearm at her, and later threatened Mr. Leggett's wife, by claiming he was going to call child protective services to take their daughter away.

Mr. Leggett was cuffed and stuffed into a DBPD cruiser, taken to county lock-up, and had to face the hurdles that comes with an (unlawful) arrest. His employer suspended him, he was social pariah, and he had to fight to get his name cleared.

The State Attorney's Office dropped the charges of course, but as they say. "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride." And that's exactly what happened. As for the on-scene officer, he got a slap on the wrist and nothing more.

Mr. Leggett is now one of our complainants against the State of Florida in our lawsuit against the Open Carry and Under-21 Carry ban.
    I am not trying to be a smart ass or insulting but did you work patrol ,have a long time partner for years ?

ABlaster

Marksman
    In theory, yes. But in reality.... LOL.

The CJSTC minimum requirements are laughably bad.
    The firearm quals just got a lot harder. Implemented for the BRC's last year and all Fla agencies have to shoot it annually IIRC. Not that it's super challenging or anything, but it is at least harder.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    The firearm quals just got a lot harder. Implemented for the BRC's last year and all Fla agencies have to shoot it annually IIRC. Not that it's super challenging or anything, but it is at least harder.
    All they changed was now you have to step to the left and to the right. Other than that, it is pretty much the same course of fire from zero-yards to fifteen-yards.

ABlaster

Marksman
    All they changed was now you have to step to the left and to the right. Other than that, it is pretty much the same course of fire from zero-yards to fifteen-yards.
    The time constraints have gotten tighter. On some of the courses the shooter has less than half the time they used to. Now you and I both know that some agencies don’t really keep the quals on the clock like they should, but if the time is being kept it’s a lot more challenging. I know the instructor class has ramped up the requirements tremendously. During instructor update we lost three people out of 18 before lunch on the first day, and they already had FA instructor certificates.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    The time constraints have gotten tighter. On some of the courses the shooter has less than half the time they used to. Now you and I both know that some agencies don’t really keep the quals on the clock like they should, but if the time is being kept it’s a lot more challenging. I know the instructor class has ramped up the requirements tremendously. During instructor update we lost three people out of 18 before lunch on the first day, and they already had FA instructor certificates.
    I went through the new qual course, with a 1989 produced Colt King Cobra mind you. I felt more than capable in doing it with speed loaders. I didn't notice any real time difference. But then again, even under the old course, I did it with plenty of time to spare.

1000009942.jpg

ABlaster

Marksman
    I went through the new qual course, with a 1989 produced Colt King Cobra mind you. I felt more than capable in doing it with speed loaders. I didn't notice any real time difference. But then again, even under the old course, I did it with plenty of time to spare.

View attachment 500840
    Great job! I have realized that if you are a shooter, no qual course designed for the masses will ever be challenging. I went through the instructor update with an iron-sighted stock Glock 22 and we had people failing the course with dot sighted 9’s. I was zero points down after two days of shooting, too. At the update we were shooting 8” paper, not the full body targets the students qual on. At that class, the exit points were recoil management (too many rounds off during the 6 reload 6), off-hand shooting, and rounds fired outside of time constraints.

DustyDog

Master
    to-days safety tip .....have your act together ,have the proper paper work on a car you are driving and tell the truth about who's pistol is in the car you are driving . The suspect could have avoided all this hbo drama .
    True... the cop was wrong about firearms law, but the car was actually stolen (though not by the driver) and he is tooling around with an AR pistol bouncing around on the back seat (if I recall correctly)... what if the pistol was stolen, even if not by the driver? Talk about red flags...

I was wondering: How did they determine on the spot that the car wasn't stolen by the driver? And I mean besides a supposed "Bill of Sale"? Shouldn't he have a signed title?

DustyDog

Master
    BINGO, along with the lingering effects of covid and other chronic health issues.

Everyone parrots "killed", "murdered", etc. when that was not the case. There's a reason Minneapolis PD changed their policy re: unconscious neck restraints after the Floyd incident, just as Geogia changed their law on Citizen's Arrests after the Arbery incident... and this is besides the fact that the McMichaels didn't actually arrest Arbery, anyway.

https://www.thefallofminneapolis.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom