• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I was just asked a question by a friend , And I'm not sure I've got the answer so figured I'd ask it here.

He wants to know if he goes to the Pensacola Gun Show and happens to find a firearm he's interested in, whats the procedure in purchasing it.

If I'm correct as he doesn't have a firearms permit any handguns he's interested in . He has to go through the paperwork and do the 3 day wait process.

But can most of the dealers do the paperwork on the spot or do they just do the actual paperwork then once they get back to their shop do the on line process?

Also I'm not sure but you don't have to go through the same process to purchase a shotgun or long gun do you? You can provide proper Id and pay and leave with one of those firearms ?

Also at the show is it all mostly dealers? If not and a private sale of a handgun is instituted how do you go about getting the paperwork done?

Thanks guys I'm from the shit state of Connecticut originally where few firearms shows existed and they usually had a Public safety booth setup to do any transfers. Plus being a former state police officer and holding numerous firearms permits throughout the New England area I never had to go through the 7 day waiting period they had up there.

Again Thanks just want to make sure I give out the right advice.

Also the Concealed Firearms class they give at the show how many hours does it take.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Handguns, yes he has to do the waiting period and then go to the shop or his FFL of choice to do FDLE checks and pick it up.

Rifle and shotguns can be picked up that day once he passes FDLE check.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also at the show is it all mostly dealers? If not and a private sale of a handgun is instituted how do you go about getting the paperwork done?

Usually some private sellers as well as people walking around with something to sell. Zero paperwork required on private sales unless you or the seller want a bill of sale. You can scratch that out on a napkin.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    FDLE is just a call in. You can do it there. If there's a wait period, they may or may not do it at the show so long as it's completed prior to the transfer.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most people (non-dealers) will want positive I.D. for any firearms sale. I'd want to at least see positive I.D. if I were selling anything that goes bang.

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When did that change for rifles? I've one bought one rifle before I got my ccw, but when I bought that one I had to wait 3 days

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure its been 4-5 years since I bought a rifle without my permit, but I had actually bought 2 rifles now that I think of it and had to wait on both of them.

Maybe its because I'm adopted and have my adopted dads arabic last name lol

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the deal.

If you purchase a handgun at a gun show from a dealer that is out of state, or in state but too far to drive to, and you have to observe the three business day waiting period, then you will have to have the hand gun transfered to a local dealer to handle the paper work, conduct the background check and you will pick up the handgun from the local dealer.

If you purchase a long gun, or a hand gun and are not required to wait three business days, then you will do the paper work at the gun show and take possession of the firearm from that dealer at the show.

If you purchase from a private individual then cash and carry.

Last edited:

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Again Thanks everyone for the information you've all shared. He now understands some of Florida Firearms laws.

We're going to go to the show with him & his wife and they're going to get an idea about whats available and costs.

He is retired military and will use his military paperwork to apply for a Florida resident permit. His wife also wants her permit so she will be taking a coarse in the near future .

Again thanks

Top Bottom