• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Also very interested in this q/a???

Yeah I have never ordered online because usually by the time you pay shipping and the transfer fee its a wash you might as well support you local gun shop. If I found a website where I could save $50 or more it would be worth the extra trouble.

Clay

Master
    Jet Guns, Buds or Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for me. Buds is the fastest shipping to my FFL, 2 days tops.

Clay

Master
    Yeah I have never ordered online because usually by the time you pay shipping and the transfer fee its a wash you might as well support you local gun shop. If I found a website where I could save $50 or more it would be worth the extra trouble.

I disagree, I support local shops when I can, but when shipping is $5 or free, no tax and a $20 FFL Transfer, it ALWAYS saves me at least $50 and most of the time much more. Truly why I don't buy off the forums very much, nobody get's close to online cost. There is a value on having a gun w/out being registered to you 'officially' but for a man on a budget, it makes more sense to save money.

What gun(s) you looking for?

Last edited:

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Do local gun shops frown on you or treat you diffrent when doing this? Do you have it shipped to a shop as they are an ffl or do you use an individual?

Clay

Master
    Do local gun shops frown on you or treat you diffrent when doing this? Do you have it shipped to a shop as they are an ffl or do you use an individual?

They are making $20 (my guy is, prices vary) and $20 for 5 minutes of work and a phone call is pretty good $. My guy is an FFL (obviously) and has small shop out of his house. Most 'shops' do this all day long and it's part of their business. If someone is giving you shit about it, take your business elsewhere. Gunbroker has a list of all those with a FFL doing transfers.

Giortire

Expert
    They are making $20 (my guy is, prices vary) and $20 for 5 minutes of work and a phone call is pretty good $. My guy is an FFL (obviously) and has small shop out of his house. Most 'shops' do this all day long and it's part of their business. If someone is giving you shit about it, take your business elsewhere. Gunbroker has a list of all those with a FFL doing transfers.

I am glad to hear this. I was never comfortable with asking my LGS to do this, because I thought he would think I am taking business from him. Who knows, the $20 might be better profit then he makes on some deals.

Gravity3694

Expert

This is the primary reason I avoid buying online; costs equal out by the time it gets to my hand. I like to give the local guy a chance before I go online. For exotic, rare or used guns without the middle man I go online.

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Ive only done it once, on gunbroker. I did it through Jays downtown Pensacola location. I had wanted to do it through Tradewinds in Gulf Breeze, as I prefer dealing with Miles. Only thing is, his fax machine was acting up. Thats the only issue I had with either dealer. Neither one seemed to mind that I wanted this performed. And I have to say, if anyone does give you shit over it, please do take your business elsewhere as Clay said.

Ive been wanting to do this again, as it seems I will be able to save quite a bit(~$50, give or take) on a Nagant rifle as opposed to buying from the store. I might be after one of those chinese type 53 numbers. Considering I saved somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 on my PPK/S when I did this, it can be worth it. But Im going to wait to see, as I am having a suspicion that Mikes will pull out another $100 sale on Nagants between now and christmas.

Last edited:

Army_of_One

Expert
    You people are doing it wrong if you think it ends up equal after transfer and shipping. The local store you're choosing is probably charging more for the transfer in hopes that you'll just buy it from them. I know Nick at Patriot Arms has no problem doing transfers for a very reasonable price and I have done many with him.

Palmetto State Armory has sales everyday. I've picked up "blemished" lowers for $100 after shipping and transfer to my LGS. Please point me to a store locally that has lowers for that price.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    You people are doing it wrong if you think it ends up equal after transfer and shipping. The local store you're choosing is probably charging more for the transfer in hopes that you'll just buy it from them. I know Nick at Patriot Arms has no problem doing transfers for a very reasonable price and I have done many with him.

Palmetto State Armory has sales everyday. I've picked up "blemished" lowers for $100 after shipping and transfer to my LGS. Please point me to a store locally that has lowers for that price.

O i just wana give u a big fat kiss. The (Palmetto State Armory) tip is great i have never look at them before and from what i just previewed looks to be a new great source for gun deals!!! Thanks

Army_of_One

Expert
    O i just wana give u a big fat kiss. The (Palmetto State Armory) tip is great i have never look at them before and from what i just previewed looks to be a new great source for gun deals!!! Thanks

Be careful! You'll blow a ton of money there. Sometimes lower parts kits are $40, lowers $60, and carbine butt stock kits for $40. I paid $153 for a complete lower(I assembled it myself of course). I check the banners and daily deals, daily to see what I'm missing.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I had forgot about Nick at Patriot Arms, great guy & classmate.
    But truthfully I've only ordered a AR Lower online & it came from Centerfire Systems
    Fast & Inexpensive,,,, $80 shipped for a Doublestar

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    When it comes to parts I have only ever ordered from Brownells or Midway USA but thats when I had money to blow on stuff. With the economy now I need to save as much as possible so I am always looking for deals. I just signed up for PSA emails and gave their site a once over and I think they may be getting a lot of my available funds in the future.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Palmetto's prices are GREAT, shipping is beyond slow, and customer service leaves something to be desired. Brownells isn't as cheap, but have never let me down.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    I call my FFL he orders what I ask him to, it ships to him, I pay him cost +$8 call in and I'm done..... Usually takes 5-7 days and I have gun in hand.....

Top Bottom