Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Dog Containment Options

Deersniper270

Master
Reaction score
Don't do a shock collar. Soooooo many reasons.

Here's one good article:

If she's a digger, perhaps the buried chicken wire along the fence to deter?

Maybe have an area that it's ok for her to dig, then work on training her to go there? Like giving a dog toy to a dog chewing a shoe. Show her what is acceptable and praise her when she does it. If she's digging at the fence, just calmly take her to her "pit", scratch at the dirt to get started and when she does, praise her. Heck, if you can teach the command "Dig", then that's most of the battle.

We once trained a dog to stop jumping up on people by associating the command "JumpUp" when he did it. Then we'd anticipate when he would do it, make him sit, then say "JumpUp" (on us). Eventually, he would wait for the command before he jumped up, and therefore never did it to strangers anymore.

The key is to remember to be calm. She is learning what you want. She inherently wants to please you. Just take the time to show her.

She sounds like a good dog. You want her temperament to stay that way. Unattended shock collar is definitely not the answer.
That’s a great article. I never would’ve thought to associate it like that. I don’t want to shock her and cause her to have a stressful life again. She’s so happy compared to when I got her. I guess I will quit being lazy and reinforce what I got and look at some alternative methods

Deersniper270

Master
Reaction score
Get her a buddy smaller young male / fixed from shelter . Might play ? Luck
Her situation before was a breeder for hog catching dogs. She is only 5 and in her prime. I’ve already seen what she would potentially do to another dog. She didn’t catch hogs herself but comes from a pure bloodline and produced some of the best catch dogs. For the first 5 years of her life she was chained outside and forced to breed. She doesn’t take to kindly to other dogs. It’s tough but I don’t blame her either.

Snake-Eyes

Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she needs an "allowed" dig pit with shade over it? Maybe she was gravitating towards the fence for the shade? Or the vantage point?

If you can figure out what area she favors, then either reinforce an existing spot, or replicate the thing she likes somewhere else in the yard that works better for you and your family. Then use positive reinforcement to show her where it's ok to dig for her cool spot in the dirt. :)

Sidenote: make sure she is microchipped and you've updated the contact info. Just in case she does ever get loose.

Enjoy your new training adventure with her. Done correctly, it will strengthen the bond you have with her.

Raven

Master
Reaction score
Bury a section of fence flat, underground only a few inches, up against your side of the fence. She wont be able to dig thru the metal. Depending on the wife, you may be able to get away with laying the chain link on top of the ground and attaching it to the standing fence so that it cant be pulled away into the yard

Toggle Sidebar

Sponsors

Holsters
3rd Coast
Top Bottom