• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just something to think about. I took a class about fraud and one way they gather information. Any scanner you may own contains a hard drive. It literally only takes a minute or two to remove it, with a fifteen dollar cable from amazon it can be hooked up to a lap top and download everything that has been printed, copied or scanned. We also picked up random copy machines from local businesses with permission. Removed hard drive and did the same thing. Point is don’t throw your scanner or printer away without first removing or destroying the hard drive.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just something to think about. I took a class about fraud and one way they gather information. Any scanner you may own contains a hard drive. It literally only takes a minute or two to remove it, with a fifteen dollar cable from amazon it can be hooked up to a lap top and download everything that has been printed, copied or scanned. We also picked up random copy machines from local businesses with permission. Removed hard drive and did the same thing. Point is don’t throw your scanner or printer away without first removing or destroying the hard drive.
    Is that true of the small home printers or just the larger commercial ones? I knew about the storage in the larger ones but it would surprise me if my $99 Office Depot special had storage in it.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that true of the small home printers or just the larger commercial ones? I knew about the storage in the larger ones but it would surprise me if my $99 Office Depot special had storage in it.
    AFAIK, yes, all printers have some memory. That's how it is able to queue multiple jobs and print them one after another. Unless you've got a high end machine, it is likely overwriting memory with each printer job, but there is likely always something there.

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    My credit card got hacked twice in the last two months. ( Pain in the butt to have to inform all of my auto paysites of new card numbers etc.) I believe the card was photographed with a cell phone at a couple of fast-food places i visited . you give them your card, they use an iPhone to copy both sides of the card and, presto they have all they need to order online!
    The last time was over$1400 dollars, for airline tickets, restaurants in other states, etc.
    So I started covering over the # and code on the card to make it hard for them to copy. also, I can see if the card has been messed with when they hand it back to me.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AFAIK, yes, all printers have some memory. That's how it is able to queue multiple jobs and print them one after another. Unless you've got a high end machine, it is likely overwriting memory with each printer job, but there is likely always something there.
    I figured it would have to have some on board memory to queue jobs, but I wouldn’t think a small cheap printer would have a memory that would keep if unplugged. I will call my cybersecurity friend and see if he knows.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I keep my phone on “ignore callers not in contacts list.” If it’s legit they will leave a message.
    This above. Never answer your phone if they are not in your contacts.

And they buy your info. Your info gets stolen from credit card company's, banks, hospitals, Amazon sellers, retailers, Sony accounts for your kids Playstation, even the federal government.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And they buy your info.
    Some just outright share or trade it. I take care of you, you take care of me?

The state of Florida is one of, if not The, worst for this in the nation. Google it.

W-T-F DeSantis? If you ain't gonna governor, you ain't gonna president.

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Stolen information is sold on the black market the better the info the more it’s worth, it’s also sold on the dark web as well.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just Google ur name! U will be surprised what’s out there. Then if you want to pay, you can get much more! There’s also many ways to get data and they are getting it!

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm seeing a scam beginning this year that y'all haven't listed yet:

I seldom place on line orders - Like 2 this year. Yet they seem to know when I'm expecting a delivery!
    Both times I have gotten a call says the package is at the local (using real name) hub but can't be delivered due to lost of information.
    Then they begin requesting info. I just tell them no, I'll come by today and pick it up.
    But do nothing, wait and package is delivered just fine.

Scarry - Wonder how they know the package is on way and my phone number.

I’ve seen that one too.

Also, started receiving scam IRS payment link emails about the sane time I started getting legitimate IRS correspondence regarding additional tax due. Hmm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a voice mail a few weeks ago that was basically, "Hi, this is _____ bank. Give us a call about your card." Yeah, well, no.

Then got an e-mail saying I would be charged a late fee for a payment already made/confirmed. Called, went right to the HMFIC, and let her know that any message left better tell me exactly who you are, why you are calling, and why I should call you back, and here's a screenshot from my bank account saying you received and processed my payment. Late fee forgiven.

After further discussion/thought, unopened items were returned. The soon-to-be-cancelled Lowe's card will be paid in full, and 'bye. Oh, did I mention a company that seems to be hellbent on going under...

RaySendero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. I changed my password today.
    Ok, Am expecting a delivery and got another one today, yet different:

A text this time from Cadzus @ICloud.com
    Text says:
    Your USPS package has arrived at the warehouse and cannot be delivered due to incomplete address.
    Go to https: //ususpc.top and reply Y
    Then copy the SMS link to Safari browser and open it.

The US Postal team wishes you a wonderful day.

I unlinked those addresses for safety

Last edited:

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Text says:
    Your USPS package has arrived at the warehouse and cannot be delivered due to incomplete address.

I got that same email, waited and checked my actual mailbox no notice in there or on my door, so just deleted it.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve been getting the same text about a package and they need my address
    Only problem is I haven’t ordered anything

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Text says:

Me too. got the exact same one.

RaySendero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey all, My credit card numbers were stolen!

Got all kinds of fraud alerts yesterday from credit card company.
    BUT - none of the call back phone numbers were from the number on back of card!?
    So called the number on the back. Got a 40 minute wait.
    Was glad I waited!!!
    The CCC said they detected a possible fraudulent charge to "Jan Nine Vending" for $5
    Neither me or wife made that purchase. So CCC stopped payment and closed my account.
    They are sending new cards in mail.

RaySendero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't figure out how they got the security code on back of card???
    Cards was never out of our possession.
    Maybe techs can shed some light on this;
    Is the security code embedded in the card's chip?
    Such that it can also be stolen electronically.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The security code isn’t always asked for, that is why the low amount of purchase so they can find out were to use the card.

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So chip cards use CVV different, they use what's called an iCVV which is an encrypted dynamic CVV code in the chip good for a single transaction. These are supposed to be kept completely separate from the data on a magnetic stripe that uses a traditional CVV code and if they are not the bank is supposed to decline the charge.

The problem is that many banks are not following this deployment and its been shown that a more advanced skimmer can in fact get enough data from a chip to clone a usable card. Banks need to sunset the magnetic strip and go full chip deployment, that would greatly reduce a ton of the fraudulent transactions.

In your case, its much more likely that your card was the victim of a skimmer on the magnetic stripe, an insecure or fraudulent website where you entered the CVV or a data breach from some place that was storing your card information for recurring charges.

Top Bottom