• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody got any homemade recipes out there that work well, just trying to save a little money...I thought about trying rice and some brasso/ or mothers metal polish? Chaos

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You don't want to use any polish that contains ammonia (such as Brasso), because it can cause the brass to become brittle. I typically use a little NuFinish with a combination of about 1/2 crushed walnut and and 1/2 corn cob media. As far as being inexpensive, I was given the corn cob media and I bought the crushed walnut from the pet store. It's typically marketed as "lizard bedding" and is much cheaper than reloading specific walnut.

I also typically throw in a handful of small squares cut from used dryer sheets to collect some of the dust associated with tumbling.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    (I also typically throw in a handful of small squares cut from used dryer sheets to collect some of the dust associated with tumbling.)

I'm going to try this..I always get black lung when I sift the cases out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    (I also typically throw in a handful of small squares cut from used dryer sheets to collect some of the dust associated with tumbling.)

I'm going to try this..I always get black lung when I sift the cases out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It doesn't get all of it, but it seems to collect quite a bit. Pieces of paper towel or old t-shirts would also work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was told you can use rice with a little polish of some sort and that works, but I haven't tried that.

I'm switching to SS media tumbling as soon as I get the cash. As long as you can keep from loosing it you'll never need to buy new stuff.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great info, didn't know about the ammonia, or the lizard bedding..i did try some long grain rice by itself and it seemed to work ok, but I think I will add some to the walnut media with a little nufinish and see how that works as well. thanks for the tips

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know I have plenty of that, I'm willing to try anything new, hell who knows what may happen!

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Lemishine Sold at Target Stores. I use a rock tumbler and stainless steel media with a dash of dish soap. Everything looks like new when is done. Cleans piker pockets and inside the case. Can't tell the cleaned brass from the unfired brass.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That looks like a good deal. That set up is what I have. The cleaning if fast, about 2 hrs or less to clean the most corroded brass. The B model tumbler alone is $150 or more.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good info! I'm looking to make the switch to stainless steel meida too.

Any thought of using alcohol or other liquid that evaporates quickly to facilitate even/fast drying of the brass?

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I rinse the brass while it's in the separator with the lower half of the separator full of clean water. The Lemyshine will corrode the brass or make it look ugly if it drys on the brass. I usually dump and refill the rinse water twice. After dumping out the rinse water I turn separator basket at varied speeds and directions, to get the water out of the inside of the shells.
    To speed drying time with minimal effort to keep water marks away. I have old towels that I dump the shells out on. The I pull the corners together to make the towel into a bag and move them around in the bag with my hand a few times. Next I lay the brass out on a dry towel in the house. The A/C helps with fast evaporation or I put them on the the dryer, if the mop wringer is doing laundry. Don't tell tell the wife I said mop-wringer or I will be doing more laundry.
    Alcohol or other solvent might be faster but unless you have your own still I think cost would be more than you like. I usually clean 6-8 lbs of brass at once. What ever fills the tumbler to 3/4 full. 9MM brass is allot of weight and 45-70 is not so much.
    A few times I have used my air compressor to speed things up but, I decided that was too mess and too much work. All I wanted was to have the brass dry fast enough to avoid water spots. My latest idea is to take old towels (or buy some cheep ones from Walmart) and have the spousal-unit make them into bags with a draw string and run them through the dryer for 10-15 minutes.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks B52 for more good info, now I just need to pull the trigger and get it ordered...

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a dehydrator (one of those round multi-rack units) after using my sonic cleaner. After washing the brass with fresh water, I put them in a towel and shake them for a few seconds to remove excess water and then load up the trays of the dehydrator. Works great and the brass is bone dry in a few hours.

I have used rice with a little baby powder on my hollow-point reloads after I finish with them to help clean them off and keep them from tarnishing. It doesn't get stuck in the hollow point like corn cob and walnut media does.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom