APOD Firearms

Braced Pistols to become SBR's starting in December?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    From what I understand a slick tube is fine, it just can't have the slots for an adjustable brace/stock. I may be wrong, but slick buffer tubes do not count as stock/brace and do not have enough surface area on the end to be considered a shoulder contact. It's purely something for the buffer tube to work in.
    Don't count on Barney in BFE Mayberry to know the difference

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So!.... my gunstore guy that does the form work for me usually told me that this new brace gun amnesty/free thing isn't quite what I thought. He "said" what the people are getting us basically just a permission slip to use a brace. So it's not like the previous 200$ SBR stuff were used to. He said he don't think once you do it that you can do like with SBRs and use a perm actual real stock/vertical grip... all that good stuff. If this is true, that kills the only reasons that kinda appealed to me right then and there.

Can anyone clarify on this, and if you even get an actual "stamp" or not also? When I recently done my first can I didn't even get a real stamp. Just a photo copy of one. Seemed pretty weird to me.

My other question is- what's stopping people from forging fake xerox copies of approval letters with info changed? I know it won't work if authorities actually "check" it and call it in etc. But... would most cops even bother to check unless there's a major crime etc? But when they're relying on just xerox paper, in theory my brother or someone could copy my paper and slap his photo on it and by all means it would appear as if he now legitimately owned it when checked. Granted a picture ID would defeat it yes, but my point is... is that it just seem sloppy and can be exploited pretty easy. At least if I had a government issued actual stamp it makes things a lot more difficult to fake and tinker with. But maybe it's just me... I dunno just seems halfazzed

The other thing I see is the FEDs pretty much muddied the waters in our favor. I say this because prior when everyone thought that ALL braces was to be banned/illegal, any brace you see in the wild would be a known infraction. Now, no one has a real way to know based on looks alone as to the legality of any weapon without having to ask. Can a cop even stop you and ask you for such info if no crime has been committed? Just seems like a cluster in many ways.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    It said at one time on the ATF site you could ditch the brace once the paperwork come back. It doesn't even have to be engraved! Kick in the face to people who paid for a form 1 and had to scar their receiver with city/state

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Trusts are not getting approved so far from what I hear.

“Hear” from where? Online, or actual people you know?

So if someone trusted the BATFECES and admitted to a felony with photos asking permission to stay out of their prosecutorial crosshairs via a trust instead of individual, and the trust’s Form-1 got denied, Now What?

Does anyone know what that “denial paperwork” looks like? Any options given?

Kruegerhouse

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People. Take a step back and look at your conversation. You are spending a LOT of time and effort trying to make sense out of something that doesn’t make sense, that is illogical and is immoral. A piece of plastic on your firearm that 100% arbitrarily determines if you are a felon or not.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Hoping there is a class action lawsuit for factory builds. Nothing on TV yet. Not playing their registration games, took em all apart. AFT can eat it. With a stroke of a pen they made short barrel pistols worthless. I bet the brace builders and barrel builders are pissed, stuck with millions of dollars worth of what is now scrap.

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    People. Take a step back and look at your conversation. You are spending a LOT of time and effort trying to make sense out of something that doesn’t make sense, that is illogical and is immoral. A piece of plastic on your firearm that 100% arbitrarily determines if you are a felon or not.
    I'm not advocating for breaking federal law that could earn you 10 years in prison over arbitrary bull. BUT I really don't think there's many people in the area that will snitch on you for still using your pistol brace. What about those of us who've been living under a rock and don't even know that pistol brace ar15 pistols will shortly become SBRs? I'm lucky enough to be plugged in but there's still a few guys I work with who don't really keep up to date with these things. Hell I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually will snitch. At the few competitions I've been to where someone has a suppressor or SBR no one grilled them for their stamp or even raised the question. I think if you're breaking the law it could be an issue where extra time gets tacked onto a sentence but it would be downright stupid for any local LE to press the issue and try to hem you up for arbitrary Federal nonsense. Escambia County is supposed to be a "2nd amendment sanctuary" anyways, I'd love to see just what that means and whether local authorities intend to try and enforce this nonsense.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I get that you saying the BATFECES interoffice memo that says a brace makes an SBR doesn’t make sense.
    Are you saying it is ALSO “illogical and … immoral”? Or are you saying that trying to make sense of it all is ”illogical and … immoral.”?

Personally, I think the toothless memo is what arbitrarily attempts to determine a felon or not. I think any LEO who would try to enforce it is an oath-breaking coward who would then simultaneously forfeit any respect and protection their LEO status would otherwise earn.

The people who got suckered into the “free tax stamp” van are getting mixed results apparently.
    -the “approved” paperwork has no stamp.
    -the “disapproved” paperwork is yet to be shared, considering consequences, etc.

The Second Amendment is supposed to prevent government overreach like this.
    Federal officials who swore an OATH to support/defend the Constitution are supposed to prevent or nullify bad policy like this.
    Legislative shouldn’t pass Unconstitutional laws.
    Executive shouldn’t sign Unconstitutional laws.
    Executive shouldn’t enforce Unconstitutional laws.
    Judicial should nullify/overturn Unconstitutional laws.

We are seeing failure after failure in all of the above.

THAT is what should be discussed, not the details of an inter-office memo.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So if this stands you must either form one or what cut them up for scrap? You won’t be able to sell them
    Two choices from what I can see.
    1. Pull the brace off and replace the buffer tube with a slick one that doesn't put you over the max OAL.
    2. Replace the barrel with a 16" or longer.

If you go with option one remember that slick tubes are longer because they we're meant for fixed rifle stocks. This might increase your OAL to more than 26" so you're back to square one.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom