• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I like to say . . a bear is like a giant racoon. It is almost impossible to keep them away and outta your shit.
    As an Animal Control Officer in Maine,I helped our local warden with quite a few bear "problems" in our extremely rural small town.
    Shoot at them,hollar at them,throw stuff at them,trap and transport them 20 miles away,they always came back.
    We found that the only fairly effective way to rid yourself of a bear was to run it with dogs. Trained bear dogs dropped on the freash scent. Runs the bear until he gets the "enough of this shit" attitude and climbs a tree. Dogs are left to raise hell around the tree for 20 minutes or so. Dogs are hooked up and pulled back 50yds or so. Bear climbs down and hauls ass. Dogs are released and the whole process starts again. This is repeated 3-5 times.
    The state biologist told me that it "traumatized" the bear to the point that they would always remember where and when,and stay away.
    We used to have them come on our back deck/porch and take our big trash can off into the woods. They would tear open the lid,crush it and the can to the point that we would have to buy a new one.
    I taught my wife how to use my 16" 45-70. It leaned in the corner by the back door. She would take it out with her at night when she went out to have a smoke.
    She came close to having to shoot a bear on several ocassions. I eventually had to "bear proof" the back deck. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The only thing I've found that works half-ass is just removing the attractant, what ever it might be, for a couple months. And even then, sooner or later, a bear will be back.

I have also tried different methods of hanging feeders so they are out of reach, that helps prevent them getting destroyed.

Like posted, many bears are chipped or collared and I'd not want to invite the man into my life over trying to scare off a bear by shooting it or shooting at it and killing it.

Bears are like skeeters... you just have to work around them.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hypothetical question, if a man had trapped a bear and relocated it with out FWC‘s permission, how long would he have to wait before he could tell his story on the internet with out risking prosecution ? Asking for a friend .

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hypothetical question, if a man had trapped a bear and relocated it with out FWC‘s permission, how long would he have to wait before he could tell his story on the internet with out risking prosecution ? Asking for a friend .
    Statue of limitations I think to be absolutely safe. But they would likely need some other evidence unless you supplied evidence like pictures of the crime.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would think just having a bear trap would convict you, besides there is no statue of limitations on game crimes
    Can you quote the specific section of the legal code relative to no statue of limitation.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats what I believe as well, if said bear had a tracking collar FWC sure as hell would wonder how he/she Got 200 miles away from its last known location in less than 4 hours. It’s a humorous thought , I’m sure it would cause a little head Scratching.

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Florida
    Felonies: 4 years for first degree felonies; 3 years for other felonies; no statute of limitations for crimes resulting in death nor for any crime that would warrant life imprisonment.

Misdemeanors: 2 years for first degree misdemeanors; 1 year for second degree misdemeanors

Code Section: 775.15

When Statute Tolls: There is a maximum extension of 3 years if a suspect leaves the state.

Does this help

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bear with tracking collars and/or in body chips - - -> these bear are monotored by computer. Certain parameters are set by Maine DIFW (Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife). Any anomaly will set off the alarm and put the system into a "hot track" mode.
    Everything is recorded. Position,last known position,GPS coordinates to within several feet,altitude,speed,stop and go times,the bears vital signs,and other stuff that is kept secret by DIFW.
    Is the same system used in Fla ?? I have heard that it is on bear inside Eglin. How about in the WMA's ?? Which bear ?? No tellin'.
    Me . . . ? ? . . I don't want to have nothing do with bear. I do feel however that Fla needs to have a bear season in certain areas. I don't go into the woods and mess with them,they do not need to come into my backyard and mess with me. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bear with tracking collars and/or in body chips - - -> these bear are monotored by computer. Certain parameters are set by Maine DIFW (Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife). Any anomaly will set off the alarm and put the system into a "hot track" mode.
    Everything is recorded. Position,last known position,GPS coordinates to within several feet,altitude,speed,stop and go times,the bears vital signs,and other stuff that is kept secret by DIFW.
    Is the same system used in Fla ?? I have heard that it is on bear inside Eglin. How about in the WMA's ?? Which bear ?? No tellin'.
    Me . . . ? ? . . I don't want to have nothing do with bear. I do feel however that Fla needs to have a bear season in certain areas. I don't go into the woods and mess with them,they do not need to come into my backyard and mess with me. --- SAWMAN
    Bears, water moccasins, and 600 lb gorillas go where ever they tfeel like going and do not ask anyone's permission.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will pass along the Montana Method for dealing with nuisance animals.
    Shoot, Shovel, and Shaddap.

There are some minor caveats to this...

After you shoot said critter, take a moment to remove the bullet.
    A wand metal detector and a pair of forceps are handy for this.
    Place in ziplock for later meltdown to remove all blood evidence.
    Do Not Forget to Melt It Down within 24 hours.
    Grab yer gun and place it in your trunk, get shovel.

When you bury the critter, the deeper the better. 4-6' should be sufficient.
    Plant a few trees or bushes while you are at it.
    Then cover the area with a good coating of leaves.
    Alternative in swampy areas is to make a few claw-like gashes with a knife
    and simply cover it with brush...after 3-4 weeks, it'll be nothing but bones.

Never, ever, tell ANYONE. Absolutely NOBODY, not even your
    best friend, wife, mistress, kids, or hunting buddies.
    If they weren't helping you bury it, they don't need to know.
    Or worse, if you get a divorce, you can bet your wife will spill
    it in open court to nail you to the wall. Don't tell your kids because
    later on they might be dating some hippie bunny hugger and spill
    it to them, then yer up a creek because she'll post it with PETA.

Basically, if you've watched 10-20 episodes of Columbo/NCIS,
    you already know all of this ;)

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Growing up in NW Florida during the 60’s and 70’s we never worried about bears or gators as everybody practiced the 3 S method of dealing with them

Edit to correct location
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    be aware bears are tagged if they stop moving some one will come look if it moves 60 miles an hour someone will come looking

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    be aware bears are tagged if they stop moving some one will come look if it moves 60 miles an hour someone will come looking

That’s what stopped 99.9% of the practitioners of the 3-S method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I doubt that most bears are monitored electronically and likely many are not tagged at all. When people have problem with bears, the FWC seems to have no idea of what bear it was. and when a bear is found dead, it is not because the FWC came looking for it.
    They do not even have an exact count on the bear pop and it is an estimate.
    The new plan shows the Florida black bear population has grown to an estimated 4,050 bears, a 50 percent increase in population from 2002.Dec 11, 2019

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Obviously not all Fla bear are tagged. But which ones and what percent of them ??
    The alarms will sound if their movement stops or moves too fast. It will record all the exact GPS coordinates of such events. Some say that some of the bears vitals are also transmitted. (?)
    Try to get around all this if you shoot one.
    I am not really convinced to what degree the bear population hurts the deer hunting. Obviously they can destroy personal property associated with deer hunting. Frank and I had to get steel barrels with locking lids for corn storage at the club in Ebro ( where my posted pics were taken).
    Certin areas in Fla needs a bear season. Closely controlled and monitored. With the ability to be shut down if the kill number rise too rapidly. With the rules and regs of the hunt carefully thought out and not just set by some suit in Tally. Inputs from wardens,guides,hunters,and land owners, would be most helpful I would think. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Obviously not all Fla bear are tagged. But which ones and what percent of them ??
    The alarms will sound if their movement stops or moves too fast. It will record all the exact GPS coordinates of such events. Some say that some of the bears vitals are also transmitted. (?)
    Try to get around all this if you shoot one.
    I am not really convinced to what degree the bear population hurts the deer hunting. Obviously they can destroy personal property associated with deer hunting. Frank and I had to get steel barrels with locking lids for corn storage at the club in Ebro ( where my posted pics were taken).
    Certin areas in Fla needs a bear season. Closely controlled and monitored. With the ability to be shut down if the kill number rise too rapidly. With the rules and regs of the hunt carefully thought out and not just set by some suit in Tally. Inputs from wardens,guides,hunters,and land owners, would be most helpful I would think. --- SAWMAN
    I know the op is about feeders being damaged by bears, I am more concerned about my homestead being attacked. That includes my fruit trees, garden, and dogs being injured when they defend the homestead. The FWC are putting all of this on the homeowner. Basic premise is if a bear attacks your homestead, it is your fault. Basically do not let a good bear go bad.
    Instead of some saying hearsay, I was trying to find something from FWC that was factual.
    I found this from 4+ years ago:
    Sept 30 2016 https://phys.org/news/2016-09-collar-tracking-florida-black.html
    Getting the collar: Researchers tracking Florida black bears

State researchers are using radio collars to track the movement of 16 female black bears living in or near a state forest in the Florida Panhandle.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Thursday researchers recently placed the collars on the bears which will periodically report their location. Wildlife officials said the collars will eventually fall off the bears.
    Citing the growing bear population, state officials in 2015 authorized the state's first bear hunt in 21 years. A total of 304 bears were killed last October. But the commission voted in June to hold off on any future hunts until more information could be gathered.
    Researchers also plan to visit winter dens used by bears to see how many cubs there are. They also will place collars on the cubs to see how many survive their first year.
    The collar is usually visible. Here is a collar with trump sticker.
    1609764429674.png

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A North Carolina group of activists are outraged after a black bear was seen wandering with a political sticker on its collar.

The group, Help Asheville Bears (HAB), is offering a $5,000 reward to anyone who is able to find out who placed the "Trump 2020' on the bear's collar.

Sheila Chapman tells ABC-affiliate WLOS bear sightings are fairly common in her area. But she noticed something different about this bear, it had a colorful sticker on its collar.

"We have so many places in this world to put stickers and express our political views," Chapman says. "Using a wild animal for that is cruel and inhuman. It's not OK."

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe,just maybe the bear is a Trump supporter. Some folks should be neutered , this Karen would be one of those folks.

Top Bottom