• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live over here in central Mobile county, and I've got a problem with bears. A couple of weeks before deer season, I put up an automatic deer feeder and a camera just to see what I could see. After about a week, I saw one small doe and she wasn't interested in the corn. A few days later, I got some really good shots of a mamma bear and three cubs terrorizing my feeder. I moved it to another location and after a week, still no deer. Plenty of squirrel activity though. I moved it again and hung it high enough the bears couldn't get to it. Still no deer. Plenty of bear poop loaded with corn. No pictures though. I guess I forgot to turn the camera on. Lots of sign where the bears had been shaking the tree the feeder was in. How can I legally get rid of the bears. I have 75 acres that is usually a deer highway. I'm very hungry for some venison.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’d use a bullet from a good distance and if no one knows then it ain’t illegal. Right?? Lol lure it in the middle of your property first.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Land near subdivisions and now it appears rural lands have bears and they like to eat. The wild life people in FL have a reputation for zealously protecting black bears.

Killing a bear in self defense: There is no benefit of doubt, it is assumed illegal and you will have to prove it was self defense.
    68A-4.009 Florida Black Bear Conservation. (1) No person shall take, possess, injure, shoot, collect, or sell black bears or their parts or to attempt to engage in such conduct except as authorized by Commission rule or by permit from the Commission.(2) The Commission will issue permits authorizing intentional take of bears when it determines such authorization furthers scientific or conservation purposes which will benefit the survival potential of the species or to reduce property damage caused by bears. For purposes of this rule, activities that are eligible for a permit include:(a) Collection of scientific data needed for conservation or management of the species;(b) Taking bears that are causing property damage when no non-lethal options can provide practical resolution to the damage, and the Commission is unable to capture the bear.(3) The Commission authorizes members of the public to take a bear in an attempt to scare a bear away from people using methods considered non-lethal. Staff shall authorize specific methods and situations that qualify for this authorization at http://MyFWC.com/bear/.(4) The Commission will provide technical assistance to land owners and comments to permitting agencies in order to minimize and avoid potential negative human-bear interactions or impacts of land modifications on the conservation and management of black bears. The Commission will base its comments and recommendations on the goals and objectives of the approved Florida Black Bear Management Plan. The plan can be obtained at http://MyFWC.com/bear/.Rulemaking Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV., Sec. 9, Fla. Const., 379.1025 FS. History–New 8-23-12, Amended 7-29-15.

1609471615905.png

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK, here you go. get some balloons, fill with vinegar about 1/2 full, hang them around where you see the scat where a bear can reach, 4-5 balloons to start. After hanging paint the bottom w peanut butter and pour some honey over the top so as to drip down. The bear will reach up to get the treat and bust the balloon and splash his face with vinegar...that should give you an idea the height to place the traps. Once splashed I have never had one come back.

Not sure your laws in AL but FL we cannot hurt or harass a bear, most are collard or chipped. Good Luck

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't give em a map to baldwin co. !!
    For many years there has been a colony black bears on the perdido river not too far from where it goes under I-10. Increase bear populations and set more subdivisions and the bears will come. Bears can travel long distances. In pace for more than 30 years there have been black bears living on the former Air Products property near Florida Town and there was at least one cougar there according to a former employee.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Land near subdivisions and now it appears rural lands have bears and they like to eat. The wild life people in FL have a reputation for zealously protecting black bears.

Killing a bear in self defense: There is no benefit of doubt, it is assumed illegal and you will have to prove it was self defense.

View attachment 101868

Good info - instead of calling FWC maybe I will do a shoot and release if one goes after my dog or kids.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good info - instead of calling FWC maybe I will do a shoot and release if one goes after my dog or kids.
    The penalties are less than they were. https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleno.asp?id=68A-1.004&Section=0
    The Florida black bear was removed from Florida’s Endangered and Threatened Species List on August 23, 2012 after approval by the Commission at the June 2012 Commission meeting.
    What are the penalties for violating the Bear Rule?

Violation of the Bear Rule is a misdemeanor, which can result in fines up to $500 and/or 60 days in jail for a first offense. Prior offenses can result in higher penalties, with imprisonment up to 1 year, a fine of up to $1000, and suspension of recreational hunting and fishing licensing privileges.
    Are you allowed to scare a bear off your property?

FWC does not consider it to be a violation of the Bear Rule to scare a bear off your property by yelling, banging pots and pans, using an air horn, honking a car horn, shooting with paintball pellets, or using bear spray. Please follow the FWC guidelines on how to safely scare a bear from your property. You can also use a motion-sensitive device (e.g., Critter Gitter®, Water ScareCrow®) that displays flashing lights, emits loud noises, or deploys a spray of water when something approaches the device.

Does FWC issue permits to allow people to ‘take’ bears?

The Bear Rule describes situations in which FWC can issue permits to allow the intentional take of bears. For example, the collection of scientific data needed for conservation or management of the species or taking bears that are causing property damage when no non-lethal options can provide practical resolution to the damage, and the Commission is unable to capture the bear. Additionally, Commission Rule 68A-1.004 defines bears as a game species, 68A-9.007 defines the special use bear permit, and 68A-13.004 allows for the opening of a bear hunt.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I lived in the mountains of NC bears were a big problem! Lots of people used paintball guns w/ frozen paintballs! It wont injure a bear but it WILL get their attention! Good luck!

*edit* think hail damage! :oops:

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

View attachment 101868
    He's in alabama

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This ^^^ was Frank in a bear suit . . . playing a trick on me. He stopped after I shot him several times with a paint ball gun. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I'm sure he will deny it though.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here’s a novel idea , build a bear trap in an enclosed trailer. Trap the bear and transport it to head of the FWC’s neighborhood and release it in the middle of the night. An alternative release point such as the FWC parking lot in Tallahassee would be appealing as well. A 24 foot enclosed car trailer would hold such a trap with room to spare. :cool:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys your posting the rules and penalties for Florida. Shit isn't applicable to op posting from Alabama.
    No it is not, but we have the same problem and I so was posting for those on this side of the border. I have more in common AL than I do with the southern half of FL.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here’s a novel idea , build a bear trap in an enclosed trailer. Trap the bear and transport it to head of the FWC’s neighborhood and release it in the middle of the night. An alternative release point such as the FWC parking lot in Tallahassee would be appealing as well. A 24 foot enclosed car trailer would hold such a trap with room to spare. :cool:
    You forgot spreading corn on the lawns before you leave. Maybe drop off a few hogs too while you are at it sothey can have choice of which they shoot first.

Top Bottom