• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Anyone have experience with Anderson AR barrels? Primary Arms has their 16" nitride middy for $50. My in-laws asked them I build a starter rifle for them and that price is pretty sweet and falls well within the budget.

I'm not normally a brand snob but I do recognize Anderson's reputation. I had a charging handle from them that warped on first use, and the replacement they sent me also promptly warped and failed.

Any input or experience appreciated!

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i think your guts already made up your mind... to many good options for not much more $ out there. with any build, the money parts are BCGs and barrels. nickel and dime on other stuff.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    i think your guts already made up your mind... to many good options for not much more $ out there. with any build, the money parts are BCGs and barrels. nickel and dime on other stuff.
    See, normally I am right there with you, but Anderson's recent release of complete rifles are being pretty well received. And I definitely am not using one of their POS charging handles on this one lol.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Anyone have experience with Anderson AR barrels? Primary Arms has their 16" nitride middy for $50. My in-laws asked them I build a starter rifle for them and that price is pretty sweet and falls well within the budget.

I'm not normally a brand snob but I do recognize Anderson's reputation. I had a charging handle from them that warped on first use, and the replacement they sent me also promptly warped and failed.

You used two words that are key....starter and budget. If this is just to get someone on the range and get familiar with the platform then as long as it goes bang then it's probably OK. I had a similar situation but I used a PSA barrel for the same reasons. I personally would've spend extra on a better barrel but it wasn't necessary and that's OK. It works and they/we can upgrade it in the future if they want.

epointer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Honestly if you wouldnt use a charging handle from them why would you consider one of the most important parts of the rifle from them? Look at Ballistic Advantage for a starting point.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm typically a parts snob when it comes to ARs but, if the end use is budget and something to go bang that looks like an AR, carry on... I'd check with go\no go gauges and hold low expectations on accuracy though

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1

Mine do about 2 MOA average.
    Since I am not an ""OPERATOR", 2 MOA is fine for anything I'll ever do, for what most others here on the forum do, 2 MOA should be fine also.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

epointer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Unless you already have a pile of parts, the above would make for a budget build with the odds of performing well.

All the aforementioned "budget" barrels will work... maybe. BCA and BA have all let turds out the door.

Of course they have, all have let out a turd or two at some time... Ballistic Advantage is a budget barrel while BCA and Anderson were found when someone was scraping the bottom of the barrel and then tipped it over then found BCA and Anderson underneath it... For a budget barrel that someone is just starting out I would go better than those brands... They may be fine or they may not...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Of course they have, all have let out a turd or two at some time... Ballistic Advantage is a budget barrel while BCA and Anderson were found when someone was scraping the bottom of the barrel and then tipped it over then found BCA and Anderson underneath it... For a budget barrel that someone is just starting out I would go better than those brands... They may be fine or they may not...
    I’ve personally returned three barrels to BA. Almost destroyed my AEM5 suppressor.

Did a detailed write up on ARFCOM with pics.

Despite asking multiple times what the problem was with the barrels, BA never would say.

Definitely playing the odds with any of the above mentioned barrels. I won’t ever buy another BA barrel in .223/5.56.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something to think about. If they can afford it, skip the budget build and just start with something good straight out of the gate. How many of us have done a budget build just to turn around and drop $$$s on a high end barrel, BCG, and trigger in the end?

Swampy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one, on a complete Anderson upper I bought about 8 years ago. Thousands of rounds through it and no problems. It has held up just fine and as accurate as my FN barrels.

Top Bottom