• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fast Eddie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a sporterized Czechoslovakian Mauser (VZ33) made I am guessing in the thirties. It is in great condition. It has had some extensive gunsmithing work done, including a Johnson Automatics barrel, set trigger and has been converted to a left hand weapon. The bolt has a counter rotating gear which allows the bolt to counter rotate when the action is worked. I had a gun smith tell me that to have the same work done today would cost an insane amount of money. I have done some research on it and everything I have found so far is quite fascinating. I am guessing because of the work and the Mannlicher stocks that the rifle may have been customized during the late 40's or early 50's possibly by Johnson Automatics. Most of the surviving records for Johnson Automatics are now in the hands of collectors but the majority of them were destroyed in a fire at Winchester in 1961. I am also trying to find a right hand bolt to be able to convert it back to right hand simply by changing the bolt. I do not want to alter the present bolt in any way because of the uniqueness of the gunsmithing and the value of the conversion. The action is surprisingly smooth, even by today’s standards. I would love for someone that is very experienced and knowledgeable with Mausers to take a look at it and possibly provide some more information if possible. Can anyone point me into a good direction?

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Fast Eddie me as a Mauser collector I would leave it the way it is as often Mausers pop up in the open market I would just find me a Vz33 in right hand and have them both I have several rare Mausers and could bare the thought of changing anything about them. I live by the motto if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can tell you about a time I wanted to add a bayonet back to a English walnut Mauser that someone years ago had removed and filled in the holes to make a very long story short I broke the stock and screwed up the barrel. Went from mint to junk in one stupid idea. Just food for thought

Fast Eddie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I completely agree, that is why I just want a bolt group. I could interchange them without altering anything.

Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Wow that's a fine looking longun you got there wonderful craftsmanship someone put into it so many time I hear of a sportize Mauser and it looks like junk that there is a well put together piece you ever deside to part with it let me know. I've got a spot right beside my Very rare VZ 52 it could call home.

Fast Eddie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, I need to take some more pictures, these really don't do it justice. It is a very nice rifle. The original blueing on the receiver is immaculate as is the barrell. There is a little wear on the muzzle but that's it. The stock is virtually flawless which is surprising because it was used as a hunting rifle for years. The muzzle wear was likely caused from the soft case. The left hand conversion and the Johnson Automatics barrel is what I find to be really unique because of the companies history. I would have never guessed that they would have made barrels for this application. It has been well taken care of.

Top Bottom