• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    DSCN2682.JPG

I waited 3 1/2 hours for a hog to show, but nothing but deer, rabbits, possums, and one yote (that didn't get close enough to shoot). My feet got cold, so I went to another area to do a little walking and warm up. Heard some close yotes barking and spotted three of them about 200yd away in a peanut field eating and running around. Since the wind was in my favor, and it was dark with no moon, I decided to stalk them. I got about 60-70yd away, put my 1.25-4x scope on 4x, took a kneeling position and popped this male. I was surprised I was able to stalk so close...within my limited coyote experience, yotes are more wary than deer. Did take a shot at one of the others running away, but missed. Took it home so the grandkids could see and get their pictures taken with it.

300 Blackout supersonic 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, suppressed, thermal

Attachments

• DSCN2682.JPG
      DSCN2682.JPG
      181.1 KB · Views: 187

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You da man !! Even with very limited ambient light they can spot you fairly good. Especially the movement. They must have been fixated by some source of food or a ground scent. I have tried to get close to them with just starlight and it is pretty hard.

Your are right,they are much more wary then deer,and compared to hogs .... it aint even close.

As I have stated before --> As told to me by an old Maine Guide. "You can fool a coyotes sight with camouflage,you can fool their ears with calls,BUT ... a coyote ALWAYS believes his nose". Good going Bruce. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Looking north, they were in the left field. I walked down the grassy path between the fields with my head bent down. Two were lying down with their heads up and the one I shot was standing eating. When I went to retrieve him, his eyes did not look "dead" and then they blinked...I then shot him in the head to take care of that. Wind was blowing from them to me.

Grandkids got up before me. My wife said the coyote was a big hit with the grandkids and each got their picture with it. I am sure their parents will be thrilled with me.

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good kill Bruce! I wondered how close you could get to one before they sensed you. Too bad you couldn't get a hog for the family but we know they will be back.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Damn Bruce !! ..... lemme see if I got this straight ..... It takes two shots from a 300BLK to kill a 30lb coyote when all it takes is one shot from a 6.8 to kill a 260lb hog ?? Am I missing something here ?? --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Congrats!! Good for you, I got a bruiser today too, damn turkey/fawn killing SOB...biggest one I have seen in these parts, big male

Attachments

• PICT0726.JPG
      PICT0726.JPG
      93.3 KB · Views: 168
    • PICT0727.JPG
      PICT0727.JPG
      96.6 KB · Views: 160

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Damn Bruce !! ..... lemme see if I got this straight ..... It takes two shots from a 300BLK to kill a 30lb coyote when all it takes is one shot from a 6.8 to kill a 260lb hog ?? Am I missing something here ?? --- SAWMAN

I wondered why it was so hard to drag...it was wearing body armor.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wanna borrow the .50?

My thermal is not rated for .50, only up to .308.

Note: My last 2 hogs, shot with the 300BLK out of a short bbl, dropped and stayed right there. Sawman's hog, shot with the 6.8, went about 25yd before dropping. On a serious note, I think the yotes, shot with a 125gr Nosler at 300BLK SBR velocities, just don't have much of a body mass to allow the Nosler to expand much. I've killed 3 of them with that combo, 1 was dead right there, 2 needed more than 1 shot

Top Bottom