• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So the scenario is your city, town, subdivision, neighborhood, property, house, we are not target shooting for accuracy at 500 yards. It is the middle of the night, SHTF scenario, many many threats coming in all directions, maximum engagement ranges of 200 yards, you have both the AR and AK platforms and plenty of ammo and mags for both, what do you grab ????
    Colt ar 15 ......

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So the scenario is your city, town, subdivision, neighborhood, property, house, we are not target shooting for accuracy at 500 yards. It is the middle of the night, SHTF scenario, many many threats coming in all directions, maximum engagement ranges of 200 yards, you have both the AR and AK platforms and plenty of ammo and mags for both, what do you grab ????
    If you can shoot both & see which one feels better in your paws...also the difference in kick between the two.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you can shoot both & see which one feels better in your paws...also the difference in kick between the two.
    My AK is one of the softest shooting long guns ever, love how it feels, but like my AR’s too

Combatcarl43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going to Assume for this purpose this is a 5.56 vs. 7.62 argument and not take into consideration 300blk,6.8, 308 or any number of AR platform options.
    Probably the AR. I know the platform better, and so does my most likely bump in the night squad-mate (AKA the Wife.) Two Rifles is better than one!
    Yes I know 5.56 has its detractors, but 5.56 has done alot of killin in the last 60 years or so, and guns/ammo are miles away from where they were when M-16 A1s were bouncing 55gr 5.56 off of grass in the jungle. Modern 5.56 is a pretty good option.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    ammo are miles away from where they were when M-16 A1s were bouncing 55gr 5.56 off of grass in the jungle
    No it's not. I've seen modern high dollar 5.56 deflected by blades of grass just a few years ago. My buddy AJ as a spotter in the prone, dialed in with his scoped 5.56, side by side with his designated marksman shooting 308 in the prone. The 308 making hits and the 5.56 not making hits. Walked the shooting lane and found the grass that the scopes were focusing through. Went to the sitting position and shot over the grass and all of a sudden was back on paper. The 5.56/223 has no ass

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm with you guys...but remember the 7.62x39 will have a much greater penetration inside a home...5.56x45 or 223 will not penetrate nearly as well...I wouldn't want to get in the way of either one...both will ruin your day. Worried about recoil use a Ruger 10-22.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm with you guys...but remember the 7.62x39 will have a much greater penetration inside a home...5.56x45 or 223 will not penetrate nearly as well...I wouldn't want to get in the way of either one...both will ruin your day. Worried about recoil use a Ruger 10-22.
    There's more air than meat. If that worried about then go buy some steel and line your walls because even a 22 can make it thru sheetrock. Not as expensive as it sounds. Or shoot fragmenting projectiles. Or even compressed metal dust projectiles. Bean bag shells anyone? Where does it end? That argument ends in not having guns in the home at all. Buy a concrete house then really don't have to worry about it. My first house I bought was a concrete block house, inside and out. My first steel frame house I helped build as a carpenter was a poured concrete dome home on Pensacola Beach. There's a company in south Alabama building poured concrete houses on the Gulf Coast too. Or you could just buy some
    hardened steel and put it behind your sheetrock

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Only because it's functional, I'm currently building my 1st AR pistol(s) (9mm & 7.62x39 on same lower) but my 10.5" braced Drako is GTG!

Combatcarl43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    deflected by blades of grass just a few years ago. My buddy AJ as a spotter in the prone, dialed in with his scoped 5.56, side by side with his designated marksman shooting 308 in the prone. The 308 making hits and the 5.56 not making hits. Walked the shooting lane and found the grass that the scopes were focusing through. Went to the sitting position and shot over the grass and all of a sudden was back on paper. The 5.56/223 has no ass
    That's crazy! What was the distance on those shots?

Latest posts

Top Bottom