• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So the scenario is your city, town, subdivision, neighborhood, property, house, we are not target shooting for accuracy at 500 yards. It is the middle of the night, SHTF scenario, many many threats coming in all directions, maximum engagement ranges of 200 yards, you have both the AR and AK platforms and plenty of ammo and mags for both, what do you grab ????

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Solution! Side charger in x39!!
    Love that monolithic lower receiver Rebel! A hybrid is the best of both worlds. Given that a caliber was not named by the op, I gotta say I'd go with an AR in a 30 caliber too... but I'd choose a 308 carbine, for the far better projectile choices. Really reach out there to 200 yards with some match grade ELDX, a projectile built for anti-material penetration (with a thicker than normal copper jacket) AND anti-personnel expansion on impact (with a polymer tip that expands on impact). Last time I checked, the ELDX projectile was the only polymer tip proven by Doppler radar not to deform at high velocity over extended flight times, too

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Given the choices: ar for muscle memory, ergonomics and familiarity in darkness.
    I am reminded of a particular rifle match at ERML long ago where we were all invited to shoot our carbines on the IDPA courses. Like 50 AR's showed up... and like two Mini's, a couple AK's and an SKS. Very telling. All 5 of us rock+lock mag fed carbines came in tied for dead last on the score card... but me and my buddy with an AK and SKS had some consolation in the fact that for every squeeze of the trigger our projectiles were worth more than twice the metal on target than 223. Take down power didn't help us none when we had to score the same amount of holes on paper as the next guy, though. All five of us non-AR's tied for DEAD last out of over 50 competitors

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    223 gets deflected by single blades of grass for crying out loud! I've seen this personally, I've had friends who have experienced it too and I've seen it noted in first hand accounts of Marines in Vietnam while shooting tracers in the bush. Dang it man 223 is worthless in every terrain except urban terrain.
    20220325_175750.jpg
    20220325_175824.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    223 gets deflected by single blades of grass for crying out loud! I've seen this personally, I've had friends who have experienced it too and I've seen it noted in first hand accounts of Marines in Vietnam while shooting tracers in the bush. Dang it man 223 is worthless in every terrain except urban terrain. View attachment 165710 View attachment 165711
    Heavy rain does it too. Ymmv.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can’t make up my mind, maybe this non binary ... Galakfal

9B46EBF9-2635-4E9E-9290-680D46588968.png

762 anyway
    BEC5EF6F-24EA-4120-A5F6-6E40DA16019D.jpeg

Or here’s a little different sar3 556

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I can’t make up my mind, maybe this non binary ... Galakfal
    Galfalak, Falgalak, Akfalgal

View attachment 165712

762 anyway
    Love it! My all time favorite AK design is the STG2000. It is very similar to yours. I wish I could find another STG2000 but they've been out of production for years and years. I used mine all up over time. Shot the crap out of it. Sold it for the value of certain parts at a 2019 show before heading home to Florida. Miss it terribly. No 922R sporterizing necessary! The ribbed concave buttplate really stayed in my shoulder like no other import stock ever could. The contoured pistol grip with a finger bump for increased control, combined with the full length handguard, barrel contour and birdcage made for a very M16-ish profile... but on a right-side charging AK receiver, as imported!

Essentially the only ergonomical differences between the STG2000 and Rebel's rifle up above is the safety and the type of mag used. This configuration is a winning compromise, no matter which receiver me and Rebel used to come to the same conclusion. Where Rebel's x39 gains the upper hand is in the mags, no "rock and lock" necessary, so way faster mag changes. But... the STG2000 uses exponentially more common standard AK mags. Choices, choices, choices.

Rebel's x39 design ultimately wins over the STG2000 though because his uses available current production parts

Screenshot_20220513-025946_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hope you don't ever have to get up and run with that. Looks very heavy with three optics/electronics on one rifle. I'm sure it's a very capable tool though
    Only 2 optics, the top bit is an ir illuminator. The advantages of seeing in the dark out weight it and its what I have. Also most of the weight is far back. I’ve used it walking around cleaning Nutra rat out of a lake in Louisiana and other things, so I have experience moving around with it.

I wouldn’t care what rifle. Also long as I’ve got some sort of night vision. If I’m having to defend myself at midnight, being able to see trumps the boomstick.

The_Spaartan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For me, probably a coin flip. I like both. Though sometimes I do feel the AR platform is kinda boring. It's why I also own an AUG lol

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    For me personally, AKs are just uncomfortable to hold/fire. I've owned a couple -47s and a -74...sold them off and will stick with the AR 5.56 platform. YMMV

Top Bottom