• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Not quite. I actually owned this a couple of years ago. Sold it to Carbmofo, who sold it to Loki, who sold it to Fear21, who sold it to Coolpappabell, whom I bought it from. It was only $150 more than I bought it for 2-3 years ago. Considering the addition of the handguard retainer and handguard to complete the conversion, and the the effect of the saiga ban, id say the price was right on.

:wave:

She's a good rifle. I liked it, ended up selling it off and moving to a Polish AKMS. The AK market is what it is, for stuff like Arsenal or some of the boutique guns like Definitive Arms you're going to be paying money. I wouldn't sell one for cheap money either. I'd only put my money into imported guns (Saiga, WASR, Arsenal, etc) or quality parts kits builds; as far as IO, Century, DDI, and all the US Made stuff - kill it with fire. Century's 63Ds fall into the parts kit build category, and they're nice guns for the money. Their milled receiver is actually pretty nice, although it isn't correct.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah Hungarians did not make that underfolder with a milled receiver as far as I have read. Def a fun gun to shoot either way, and glad I will be keeping mine. With the drum its tons of fun. Between a fully converted Saiga and an Arsenal, which would you pay more for? I know Saigas are no longer imported and everyone likes seeing that triangle with an arrow in it, but I hear that Arsenal Bulgarian imports are top notch.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yeah Hungarians did not make that underfolder with a milled receiver as far as I have read. Def a fun gun to shoot either way, and glad I will be keeping mine. With the drum its tons of fun. Between a fully converted Saiga and an Arsenal, which would you pay more for? I know Saigas are no longer imported and everyone likes seeing that triangle with an arrow in it, but I hear that Arsenal Bulgarian imports are top notch.

Yep, Hungary only fielded stamped rifles. The 63D milled is a Century frankengun, although they did a good job with it. Saigas are only expensive because they're banned - don't get me wrong, they're great rifles but they're overpriced as hell. Of course, the overpriced comment could be applied to all AKs. :)

You could get a brand new one for $275 before Obongo dropped his ban hammer. If you HAVE to have the real deal Russian rifle, then get the Saiga. Depending on how "correct" you want to be with your conversion, you'll be putting a lot of work towards bringing it back to AK life and you'll be spending the exact same money (if not more) as a BNIB Arsenal. FWIW, I've owned two Arsenals - one SLR104 and the SLR106 I have now, and I've shot a SLR107. Owned and shot two Saigas. Faced with the choice, I would take an Arsenal.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was a really good price for that Century/Hungarian franken gun. Most sell them for at least $100 more than that locally.

I have a couple AK's and I must say that an Arsenal is tough to beat. Fit and finish is superb. All my other AK's are stamped and built from parts kits save for one. I have a Kassnar imported SA-85M. It's a preban rifle and stays in the safe. I don't have any experience with a Saiga so I can't comment on them.

It's crazy how much AK's have jumped up in value over the past year. Wish I had snagged a few more AK's before they went stupid on pricing. MAK's and other thumbhole stock rifles going for $1k blows my mind.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "Good old days" of cheap AKs are gone, most wish they bought a bunch. However, NOW is the time to buy cheap ARs and mags! You never know what the Gov will do in two weeks much less in 10 years. Sooner or later the panic/crazies will surface again (94, 08, 12, ?). Be Ready!

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan I'm not in the market for one at the moment. A buddy of mine picked up a BNIB MAK90 still with the rice bags attached for $300 back in 2015. Pretty damn jealous of that score! I'm torn between an MAK, KBI imported SA-85M and an Intrac Maadi. Might just have to get one of each!!

Wildrider I'm more of a collector than a hoarder. I would rather have a few high $$ guns that will appreciate in value then a bunch of Anderson receivers laying around collecting dust and taking up space. To each, his own though. I have shooters and guns that hang out in the back of the safe that just get wiped down once or twice a year. Speaking of which, I may have convinced my wife that I need another safe. Can't fit everything in and her Dad just gave us some of her guns because he's cleaning his safe out. Fingers crossed at least. Got a Birthday coming up next month...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,never,EVER, buy a stamped gun. They don't last very long,continously jam,are not reliable,and nobody can hit anything with them inside 300yds or so.
    They are a real POS. --- SAWMAN

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with Sawman. Stay away from those stamped AK's. My neighbor tried to unload one on me last week for $400! It was some cheap Chinese copy that was stamped Polytank or something. The wood stock wasn't even made out of walnut so I knew it wasn't a good gun. He even tried to sweeten the deal by throwing in a case of ammo made in Yugoslavia. It was brass cased but hey, I remember how bad their cars were! If they can't make a decent car I damn well don't want to shoot ammo from there. My neighbor is on my shit list now; I always thought he was a nice guy before this!;)

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I beg to differ, yes the cheap stamped ones are bad but the quality ones are great.You get what you pay for IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1206.jpg IMG_1215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
      IMG_1203.JPG
      560.1 KB · Views: 174
    • IMG_1206.jpg
      IMG_1206.jpg
      444.5 KB · Views: 172
    • IMG_1215.jpg
      IMG_1215.jpg
      590.2 KB · Views: 174

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Properly made stamped AKs will outlive us all.
    Joe, I'll sell you a good Liberty, cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Gentlemen . . . . please . . . . my post #48 was typed with about the maximum dose of sarcasm that I could muster up at that time of the morning.
    I'm sure that I am not the only one here that has had a 14 year old carring an AK,that was beat up and dirty as hell,used against him . . . . and "fairly" effectively. --- SAWMAN

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fathertime now that's what I'm talking about! Double under folder Polytech!! Sweet rifle right there. I just need to find someone that has one and wants to sell it cheap. Lol. We all can dream.

SAWMAN I figured a few of the posts were dripping with sarcasm. I'd give $400 for Chinese AK's all day long. Wouldn't even tell my wife. Haha. Worth sleeping on the couch or camping in the backyard for a few days!

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased my Polytech (see post # 51) just before the Clinton Ban became a reality. To date about when, I bought it at the gun show that they used to have out at the Bay front Auditorium when it was at the end of Palafox Street over the water. Memories, memories. It has been in the safe ever since and has never had a bullet put in it. Not my intention just the way it is.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's awesome! Can't say that I'm not jealous. There's one for sale on the AKfiles that's NIB with all the accessories. He's asking $4200 shipped. A bit ambitious with the price but it is immaculate. Ad says the bolt has never been pulled back.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I didn't have my eyes on another preban rifle I would've already reached out to you. Can only get away with buying so many before the wife realizes I didn't pull this one out of the back of the safe and it's new.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If I didn't have my eyes on another preban rifle I would've already reached out to you. Can only get away with buying so many before the wife realizes I didn't pull this one out of the back of the safe and it's new.

it took only a few days for the wife to realize that the gun rack had a new tenant...busted.
    handguns are easier to hide..hint hint

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom