• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snpmorgan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone have experience with accurate no.5?
    I'm going to reload some .45acp and this all I could find

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It works well....the cases will be full - so little chance of double charging.
    The only downside is that you will get fewer loads from it than accurate #2.
    I don't think I got quite 1k rounds out of a pound.
    Accurate#2 is now my choice for hand gun rounds since it is more powerful and burns faster than #5....this gets you more rounds out of a pound of powder AND is well suited for short barreled pistols.

Last edited:

snpmorgan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that would be the case. Say the no.2 is better? I'll try to find some of that too. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on loading .44 mag for me redhawk 7.5". All info for this one welcomed. I mainly like to shoot the dueling tree with this one at about 30-40 yards.

snpmorgan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been using pretty light loads and swc's that a friend made me. Now I'm trying to start loading my own

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check your loading manual. I had a keg of 700X that I used for shotgun loads . Found out I could load LIGHT loads for 45 40 and 9mm. Was loading 185 gr swc in the 45 and worked well. Seems to me it was 4 grs but am not sure. CHECK YOUR MANUAL..I'm old and that may not be right. Short story it worked. Dont know a thing about other powders that you are talking about. Happy Loading

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that would be the case. Say the no.2 is better? I'll try to find some of that too. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on loading .44 mag for me redhawk 7.5". All info for this one welcomed. I mainly like to shoot the dueling tree with this one at about 30-40 yards.
    my super redhawk loves 12.4 grains of Accurate#5 behind a 240 gr Hornady XTP. Nosler manual #6 page 689 :) tried it and never looked back. Nice soft recoil and exceptional accuracy.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Almost all shotgun powders will work in handgun loads. I don't think I'd try pistol powders for shotgun without some solid documentation. Green Dot, Unique, Bullseye and Red Dot can all be used in one measure or another for .45acp. Happy Shooting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To me the "go to" powder for the larger capacity pistol rounds is H110(or 296),however you need to use a full case/load. NO reduced loads for these. It burns clean and you can work up some kick ass loads with this powder. This powder is great for the more sturdy handguns.

For a "special" load in the 44mag brass you will have to switch. OR...you can give Trail Boss a try. I can get some super light loads using it. Well <800fps using most any bullet. --- SAWMAN

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me the "go to" powder for the larger capacity pistol rounds is H110(or 296),however you need to use a full case/load. NO reduced loads for these. It burns clean and you can work up some kick ass loads with this powder. This powder is great for the more sturdy handguns.

For a "special" load in the 44mag brass you will have to switch. OR...you can give Trail Boss a try. I can get some super light loads using it. Well <800fps using most any bullet. --- SAWMAN
    There is something to be said for burning 45 grains of pistol powder all at once (H-110) as to the Trailboss. That stuff is awesome. I make kiddie loads with it so my 10 year old nephew can blast away with my .44. Recoils like a really light .38 load and puts a huge grin on his face !

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my super redhawk loves 12.4 grains of Accurate#5 behind a 240 gr Hornady XTP. Nosler manual #6 page 689 :) tried it and never looked back. Nice soft recoil and exceptional accuracy.
    This would be an example of where you would want to use the #5 instead of the #2. Long barrel coupled with heavy bullet......much better for the slower burning powder. If you are loading for multiple guns (short and long barrels) you probably need to stick with the faster burning powder...or you will not get the same muzzle velocity.
    It all boils down to what you can get (#5 will work) and what you will shoot it out of ( long or short barrels)
    -as a sidebar to illustrate the effect.....I can shoot walmart whitebox 9mm out of my sub2k carbine with a 16 inch barrel and get 1200 feet per second. The ammo is loaded with just enough powder that burns fast enough to produce the velocity it needs....nothing more.
    If I shoot my 9mm reloads (same bullet weight) through the carbine...I get 1400fps! The powder I'm using is burning a little slower than the factory stuff, and can benefit from a longer barrel.
    Both rounds yield the SAME speed out of a simi-auto pistol with a short barrel ....the extra energy is lost when the bullet exits the barrel....and you probably get a little more muzzle flash.
    FYI-If I back off the charge, I loose speed in BOTH barrrels.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Load Reddot for light loads and H110 for full power hunting loads. Never had any problems with either powder. I buy the Reddot in 15 lb kegs. Of course I havent bought any for awhile. Had way to many. The H 110 I buy in 8 lb kegs. Wish I could get it in larger kegs. Usually get it from Grice in Clearfield,Pa.

RJ

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At one time I had about every powder on the market for reloading. Finally wised up and started consolidating everything into a few powders. Sure made it a lot easier to keep track of everthing. Started to buy in bulk to cut down on the running around to find everything. Back home we had dealers that would give you a pretty good discount for heavy volume. Same with shot we would buy it two ton at a time at great prices. Dont shoot as much down here. Not comfortable with the range. Dont like guns being pointed everywhere weather loaded or not.

RJ

snpmorgan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome stuff. Really appreciate the info. Makes sense to use the slower burn in the longer barrel. Keeps Giving a push for a longer time in the longer barrel. Like high octane gas burns slower. More push through the power stroke. Now to work some up and try it out

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For accuracy, I like a light load of #5 under a 185 gr. Nozler HP, or a heavy load of #5 under a 230 gr Remington Golden Sabre HP. With match primers, Federal brass.

Joraca

Top Bottom