• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Howdy fellas, do any of you reload 9mm for use in 9mm revolvers? Will the taper of a Luger case prevent you from loading .357 wadcutters? The pressure limit for 9mm sits comfortably between 38spl and 357mag so can you expect 9mm loads typically meant for autos to perform in between the two out of a revolver?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Probably depends on the revolver. I don't have any experience with a dedicated 9mm revolver, but I've shot the Ruger convertible 357/9mm. We didn't chrono anything, but factory 9mm ball ammo had terrible grouping likely because the bullets were .355 instead of .357 and there was a lot of cylinder jump. If I had one, of probably try to reload upsized projectiles at .357 or .358 lead, but at that point, are you gaining anything over just loading a .38 shell?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    As I understand it 9mm pressure limits let you load a bullet to higher energy then a 38spl but nowhere near 357mag territory, the real benefit is just using 9mm brass from my autos and using the same ammo stock. There's also a youtube video I recently saw that shows how 9mm has the edge over 38 and 357 *when fired out of proportionally short barrels*
    Pertinent video.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Howdy fellas, do any of you reload 9mm for use in 9mm revolvers? Will the taper of a Luger case prevent you from loading .357 wadcutters? The pressure limit for 9mm sits comfortably between 38spl and 357mag so can you expect 9mm loads typically meant for autos to perform in between the two out of a revolver?

The wad cutters can loaded way out and do not have to be flush with the case. I have not done it, but solid base wadcutters should load ok. Hollow base ones might require more care.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Im pretty sure he is referring to 357 semi-wadcutters, not full wad cutters and no, it is not the correct bullet for 9mm revolver. You can find 9mm(.356) cast lead and poly coated cast lead bullets properly sized to .356 to shoot. In competitive revolver shooting most everyone is using the S&W 929, a dedicated 8 shot 9mm revolver , nice revolver, if I was 20 years younger again I'd for sure grab one, but Im a dinosaur, and thus stick with my dinisaur 6 shot K frame in 38 special.

Top Bottom