• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    No fad diet, no busting my ass at the gym, no running around from nothing in circles and no starving. It's all about perspective. Work smarter, not harder.
    I've had some success getting myself back down to my fighting weight by simply tweaking what and when I eat and I thought I would share them on here, and perhaps help one of my friends on GCGF.
    1. Being hungry is the enemy. Distribute your food intake and portion size thereof so that you are eating only enough to keep you satisfied and get you to the next meal. Any less and you'll pig out at the next meal and consume excess calories. Any more, and you'll consume excess calories then. You have to eat, make your calories count so that they'll fuel you until the next meal instead of going right to your gut, by choosing slower digested, more nutrient rich foods
    2. Make time to eat, and when you do, eat to satisfaction, not fullness. Over the past 5-10 years, as life got busier and busier with kids, work, and whatnot, I had gotten into the habit of just not eating all day long and having one gigantic calorie filled meal just before going to sleep. Instead, I've broken that and gotten into the habit of eating 3 well portioned meals per day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it sets the pattern for he you will feed your body for the rest of that day. Something as simple as a good cereal with a banana starts that process. If I'm really in a hurry, some of my favorites are an egg white sandwich from McD's or a turkey bacon sandwich from Starbucks, but anytime you eat fast food though, you must be mindful of the beverages. A ginormous cream and whole milk sugar loaded quarter gallon of "coffee" is not your friend. All tha cream and sugar is also not going to help you stay full and satisfied. By having a small meal for breakfast, it makes it so that I'll be hungry by when most people eat lunch, but because I actually had something in the morning, I wont be starving either, and it'll be easier to grab something sensible, instead of pigging out on whatever cheesy fried deliciousness I come across. I love making chicken or turkey Cesar wraps at home, with whole wheat or spinach wraps, and instead of lettuce, I use spinach, it's more filling and nutritionally dense. Some of my favorites while out and about are Sonic chicken sandwiches on wheat, with veggies, mustard and jalapeños, and no cheese, a grilled wrap from McD's or a burrito from Moes made with black beans, brown rice, chicken and loaded with veggies. No extra cheese sauces or dressings of any kind and on a wheat tortilla. Look for a feeling of satisfaction as opposed to fullness. When you're satisfied you could certainly eat more, but remember, you're just getting to the next meal, so stop. Fullness is that feeling when you can't stuff another ounce of food in your mouth. Fullness is excess, fullness is the enemy, but it will happen once in a while, when something is really really good, and that's ok, just don't make a habit of it, and the more you get away from habitually pigging out, the more it becomes part of your routine.
    3. Substitute good for bad. Whole wheat instead of white, tenderloin instead of chops or ribs, filet instead of ribeye, brown rice instead of white rice, brown wheat noodles instead of white, a bit of shaved Parmesan instead of cheddar, a handful of almonds instead of a bag of chips, turkey bacon instead of pork, chicken breast instead of legs, grilled instead of fried, olive oil instead of butter, skim instead of whole. You get the idea, small changes, that add up to make a big difference. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, nuts are your friends. These are my staples, not only are they lower in calories, so you can actually eat more in value vs bad foods but also keep you satisfied longer and keep you from overeating. My favorite part of meat was the fat, because it tastes best, but well seasoned, lean meats are very good indeed. I've never really eaten fruits or vegetables at all, but I've learned to embrace them and found that I have more energy and just feel better overall. Fruits and vegetables will not only help fill you up, but I also feel that I'm getting nutrients that I may have been lacking and my body is thanking me for it. Also, well seasoned, leafy greens are fantastic: collards, mustards, kale, even spinach, just skip the bacon or pork hocks, jowls, or whatever lard when cooking. Nuts are great for keeping you from being hungry. Again, you don't want to starve or you'll binge. Nuts keep you from starving if you just eat a handful here and there if a meal runs late, or if you find that your last was too small. Nuts are awesome little fillers, just dont grab the whole bowl to go sit and watch the game. You'll eat mindlessly and consume excess calories without even realizing it.
    4. Do not completely cut out or deny yourself anything. Ice cream, bacon, fried whatever. If you do, you'll eventually just break and say "F it, this sucks, I'm gonna eat whatever I want whenever I want". You'll them consume excess calories, get fat, get obesity related diseases and die early. Lol.
    But really, enjoy what you like once in a while in moderation, and keeping in mind what else you ate that day, your favorite foods will taste much better when you do. At this point, I find I'm having a meal like that about once a week. My favorite food is Wine Bar's burger, it's the best in the world and I absolutely love it, I'm even skipping the chips, cheese and bacon and loving it just as much.
    I hope that helps someone, at least a little, and if not, it's a written down record reference for if I ever fall off the wagon, but I feel really good about it. It's really not difficult. Work smarter, not harder.
    Cheers!

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    You could probably knock off another couple pounds if you shaved that face, like a civilized human being.

Good job though man. I've found the best diet is being overloaded with stress. Eat like a horse and still waste away.
    I've been trying the 5 small meals a day, but all it's managed to do is stave the weight gain. I'm afraid I'll have to start running in circles from nothing if I really wanna see 185 again.

Seriously though, good job.

Dan1612

Master
    Thank you, Sir.
    It's funny you should say that, I actually told myself I'd shave when I hit 220, just to see if former me, the young strapping clean cut Naval Officer is still in there somewhere (I was 220 when I got out) just don't have the balls to actually go through with it. Lol.
    185 Holy bejesus! I was 185 after my first 6 weeks at The Naval Academy. I looked famished. I'm broad shouldered and 6'2" and I like 220. You might be shorter though. At 200, I start looking like a child, but I will probably continue to drop a few more, especially when we get into the new place and my puppy is old enough for walks. Can't go below 200 though. The weight has been dropping so fast, if I didn't feel so good, I'd swear I was sick. The amazing thing to me is just how simple it is.

Dan1612

Master
    You don't walk the chicken?
    I don't deal with the chickens, or the rabbits, or the cats, or the little dogs, they're all my wife's deal. I don't fuss or mess with her zoo, and she doesn't fuss or mess with my guns or my dog. Works well.

Dan1612

Master
    Max, I tried the whole 5 meals a day, didn't work, the problem is that you end up eating more than you need, because "you're supposed to"
    For me, what worked is to just eat when I'm hungry, and control the portions of quality food, so that I'm hungry 3 times per day. What a novel idea. Lol.

Snow Bird

Master
    Have the woman you live with have to go home for a year and half. Got me back to 187 and holding.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    I didn't see anything here about drinking beer? I have heard that there is a steak in every can. Food is over rated stick to the beer diet and watch the pounds shed. As a matter of fact, just this last week alone I cut back my food intake and continued my beer drinking habit and lost 3 lbs. I am now tipping in at 220. Which is pretty good for me. I am now shedding my winter coat. 215 here I come!!!!!

Seanpcola

All excellent suggestions Dan and they do work. I haven't lost nearly that much yet but I am slllooowwwwllly losing some fat, basically the same as you are doing.

My angle is a little different because of my eating habits and daily routine but it's close. I haven't weighed myself and don't plan to. I'm gauging success by my clothes. I'm slowly getting back into shorts I couldn't buckle and zip and my belts are in one notch so far.

I considered myself a pretty healthy eater anyway but after a lot of thought and a very interesting discussion with James (Tackleberry) I changed my mindset and the menu up a little.

First off, I'm on my feet all day anyway and I do a LOT of walking. I've never been sedentary. I may get into a little higher impact workouts after the weather cools back down but after being outside all day from 8-6 or later my almost 58 year old bod needs to be careful. My weekends usually involve some pretty strenuous stuff so that helps.

I've never in my life missed breakfast. I'm always hungry when I first wake up. So, out with milk completely, Oatmeal, high fiber cereal with Silk in moderation.

I'm already a big fresh veggie and salad type. Out with the dressing and sparing use of oil and vinegar. No more Ranch or Thousand Island.

Mayonaisse gone. Other condiments used sparingly.

Fried foods. Not big on them but wife fries a lot. I will always have some fried mullet and oysters but portions and frequency way down.

Portions in general. I always clean my plate, especially in restaurants. I, too, taught myself to stop earlier and not eat till Im full. As I got older the stuffing made me more and more miserable afterward. I felt like crap after a big meal and that in turn made me feel lethargic. So, run on less which in turn gives more energy, which in turn makes me feel better and the cycle completes.

Alcohol and beer. Gone except for an occasional one single Corona after work if I've sweated a lot. I've decided I'm not gonna cut that out completely in the Summer because I do sweat buckets from June to September and since I have a natural aversion to salty foods I (approved by my doctor) think one or two at night after a long hot day won't make a difference. Cocktails on the weekend are completely out though.

Carbonated beverages-gone. I love my diet Pepsi and diet Mountain Dew. I actually think the non-diet versions are better for you but none are worth a damn.

Sugar:I'm not going to try to avoid it completely because I love fruit and any fruit juices but I'm going to get into a juicer and try to make my own without preservatives and added sugar. I can't live without pink grapefruit juice (Ocean Spray Ruby Red is my crack) so I'm going to have to find a substitute for that. I love syrupy sweet tea - gone. Unsweetened only now with lemon or I've been experimenting mixing unsweetened with various fruit juices. Mango is awesome. Teaching myself to like green tea too.

Working up to black coffee only but that's not a big deal because I only drink one cup a day anyway. Creamer out.

Never been a big meat eater anyway so not much room for improvement there. I don't do bacon except my twice a year BLTs and I'll still have those.

I'm finding new things that I really am enjoying to eat and drink both. I've found a lot of the consumption of bad crap is more habit than desire. I got so used to sweet tea and I love the way they make it at Tom Thumb. I would walk in and grab one without even thinking. Just a little conscious effort and behavior modification is all it takes. I'm not craving anything. Mainly just substitution and cutting back portions. I will splurge occasionally, can't wait for a Johnny Huston burger on Saturday but I'll lay off the all you can eat fries.

I feel that losing 30 lbs by Christmas will be no sweat at all.

Dan1612

Master
    Good stuff Sean, that's great! Substitution is SOOO simple, it's all about choices. I'm also a fan of activity in general as opposed to a gym type routine.
    Farook, the booze hasn't been cut, I don't drink beer in general, but my bourbon is now mixed with diet lime soda instead of sprite.
    James looks great, I knew him years before joining the forum. He was one of my inspirations for finally doing something.

MAXman

Master
    5'10 1/2". Meps told me I was 6' even. Va said I shrunk.

I was 170 when I got to Parris island and 183 when I left. I sat at 195 until I started running hardcore, then gained 5lbs(wtf?).
    I did pretty good until this last winter, and shot to 220 since September. I blame it on turning 30.

Dan1612

Master
    That makes sense, Max. It was actually turning thirty last November that prompted my efforts, but I didn't want to "do it for New Years" like all the other tools, so I waited till February. Lmao!!!

Snow Bird

Master
    Max, Blame it on eating,I did when I gained.

Seanpcola

It's real easy to creep up in weight, especially as you get older. The tiny habits creep in.

I'm never going to get into running. Between my knees and age the idea scares me. However, I really would love to get back into bicycling. Low impact on joints and a tailored ramp up of cardio.

I'm beginning to worry about losing muscles too. I already have but I think I can get at least part of it back. Last Sunday I mixed 22 80# bags of concrete, poured, floated and dressed them. I mixed 5 bags at a time. I was done for the day after that project. What killed me was lifting the bags up and over the side rail of my open trailer. I loaded them at Home Depot and I was worried about weight distribution so they were all flat on the floor and the lift was about 3' vertically.

Jeb21

Master
    . I blame it on turning 30.

Thirty! my god man you are ancient! What were things like on the stone age (and by that I mean the 80's) I hope you can tell me cause I can't remember. I turned 50 this year though my odometer tells me I am 80.

Dan1612

Master
    Weight lifting was the only kind of exercise I could get into. Running and such was only for when Uncle Sam told me to do so. I used to run 3 miles a year when I was in uniform. Lol.

Snow Bird

Master
    Sean I am with you on the muscle loss. I saw it about 3 years ago and tried to fight it and lifting hand weights helped some but I decided I wasn't makeing much headway. I can and still do work but 50 lbs is alot heaver than it used to be for sure.

Working still keeps me in pretty good shape for my age but some things I just cant do. Golf helps and walking is way up there on the list. This is not a joke but your muscle and fat will move atound and you can't stop it. I lost my byseps(sp)and my butt and got man boobs.

Some things it seems that can't be helped even with working out. By the way I will be 69 this summer and still try to do all I can, I just had to except the fact that I am not 30 or 40 any more and all is good.

Seanpcola

My dad is 84 and is in amazing health for that age. He finally hit a wall but two years ago he was still raking his whole yard constantly and mowed with a push mower. He finally bought a riding mower. He refused to for a long time because he thinks riders don't cut grass evenly. Did I mention my dad is a tad anal about his yard?

Top Bottom