• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    So I go to Longhorn for lunch today. I order a grilled chicken sandwich and a soup. Sounds simple enough, right? NOT.
    I forgot to ask them to keep the cheese, and this all the cheese I had to remove. Even the "steamed broccoli" was SOAKED in butter. And we wonder why obesity is an epidemic.
    1522a77cf1a007cf63a7ef7fbf83ee12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    yumm

I would follow you around and eat what you scrape off....

funny that 40 yrs ago butter was bad and margarine was good...

now, they say butter is not so bad, and margarine is bad...
    I figure people been eating whole milk, cheese and butter for years, living into their 90's, I aint worrying about it

Dan1612

Master
    ^ Moderation is key. The modern food service industry is conducive to the exact opposite, but at the end of the day, it's the consumers' responsibility to be informed and make good choices.

Dan1612

Master
    Soda water with lime.
    It's amazing how many calories we drink without even realizing it.

Gas Port

Master
    Do you have any suggestions on mayonnaise subtitles? Mustards work on occasions but looking for an everyday go to.

Dan1612

Master
    No, sorry. I can't remember the last time I ate mayonnaise.

Dan1612

Master
    Screw all that good stuff. Eat, Drink and be Merry. Tis the season right..
    I do like eggnog. lol there's a good low cal version I've been putting in my coffee.

Dan1612

Master
    On a separate note, I've been steady at around 210, but I'd like to bulk back up a bit and just get more energy, so I'll be joining the new Y downtown to get back on the weights like in my younger years.

madeSICC88

Master
    I've never been big into lifting weights but I do want to try some kettle bell workouts ive heard about. Have you ever used those?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    I've never been big into lifting weights but I do want to try some kettle bell workouts ive heard about. Have you ever used those?
    To me working out pretty much equals weights since that's what I know, or did.
    Kettle bell stuff is pretty new, at least relatively. I'm game though.

budbreak96

Expert
    No fad diet, no busting my ass at the gym, no running around from nothing in circles and no starving. It's all about perspective. Work smarter, not harder.
    I've had some success getting myself back down to my fighting weight by simply tweaking what and when I eat and I thought I would share them on here, and perhaps help one of my friends on GCGF.
    1. Being hungry is the enemy. Distribute your food intake and portion size thereof so that you are eating only enough to keep you satisfied and get you to the next meal. Any less and you'll pig out at the next meal and consume excess calories. Any more, and you'll consume excess calories then. You have to eat, make your calories count so that they'll fuel you until the next meal instead of going right to your gut, by choosing slower digested, more nutrient rich foods
    2. Make time to eat, and when you do, eat to satisfaction, not fullness. Over the past 5-10 years, as life got busier and busier with kids, work, and whatnot, I had gotten into the habit of just not eating all day long and having one gigantic calorie filled meal just before going to sleep. Instead, I've broken that and gotten into the habit of eating 3 well portioned meals per day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it sets the pattern for he you will feed your body for the rest of that day. Something as simple as a good cereal with a banana starts that process. If I'm really in a hurry, some of my favorites are an egg white sandwich from McD's or a turkey bacon sandwich from Starbucks, but anytime you eat fast food though, you must be mindful of the beverages. A ginormous cream and whole milk sugar loaded quarter gallon of "coffee" is not your friend. All tha cream and sugar is also not going to help you stay full and satisfied. By having a small meal for breakfast, it makes it so that I'll be hungry by when most people eat lunch, but because I actually had something in the morning, I wont be starving either, and it'll be easier to grab something sensible, instead of pigging out on whatever cheesy fried deliciousness I come across. I love making chicken or turkey Cesar wraps at home, with whole wheat or spinach wraps, and instead of lettuce, I use spinach, it's more filling and nutritionally dense. Some of my favorites while out and about are Sonic chicken sandwiches on wheat, with veggies, mustard and jalapeños, and no cheese, a grilled wrap from McD's or a burrito from Moes made with black beans, brown rice, chicken and loaded with veggies. No extra cheese sauces or dressings of any kind and on a wheat tortilla. Look for a feeling of satisfaction as opposed to fullness. When you're satisfied you could certainly eat more, but remember, you're just getting to the next meal, so stop. Fullness is that feeling when you can't stuff another ounce of food in your mouth. Fullness is excess, fullness is the enemy, but it will happen once in a while, when something is really really good, and that's ok, just don't make a habit of it, and the more you get away from habitually pigging out, the more it becomes part of your routine.
    3. Substitute good for bad. Whole wheat instead of white, tenderloin instead of chops or ribs, filet instead of ribeye, brown rice instead of white rice, brown wheat noodles instead of white, a bit of shaved Parmesan instead of cheddar, a handful of almonds instead of a bag of chips, turkey bacon instead of pork, chicken breast instead of legs, grilled instead of fried, olive oil instead of butter, skim instead of whole. You get the idea, small changes, that add up to make a big difference. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, nuts are your friends. These are my staples, not only are they lower in calories, so you can actually eat more in value vs bad foods but also keep you satisfied longer and keep you from overeating. My favorite part of meat was the fat, because it tastes best, but well seasoned, lean meats are very good indeed. I've never really eaten fruits or vegetables at all, but I've learned to embrace them and found that I have more energy and just feel better overall. Fruits and vegetables will not only help fill you up, but I also feel that I'm getting nutrients that I may have been lacking and my body is thanking me for it. Also, well seasoned, leafy greens are fantastic: collards, mustards, kale, even spinach, just skip the bacon or pork hocks, jowls, or whatever lard when cooking. Nuts are great for keeping you from being hungry. Again, you don't want to starve or you'll binge. Nuts keep you from starving if you just eat a handful here and there if a meal runs late, or if you find that your last was too small. Nuts are awesome little fillers, just dont grab the whole bowl to go sit and watch the game. You'll eat mindlessly and consume excess calories without even realizing it.
    4. Do not completely cut out or deny yourself anything. Ice cream, bacon, fried whatever. If you do, you'll eventually just break and say "F it, this sucks, I'm gonna eat whatever I want whenever I want". You'll them consume excess calories, get fat, get obesity related diseases and die early. Lol.
    But really, enjoy what you like once in a while in moderation, and keeping in mind what else you ate that day, your favorite foods will taste much better when you do. At this point, I find I'm having a meal like that about once a week. My favorite food is Wine Bar's burger, it's the best in the world and I absolutely love it, I'm even skipping the chips, cheese and bacon and loving it just as much.
    I hope that helps someone, at least a little, and if not, it's a written down record reference for if I ever fall off the wagon, but I feel really good about it. It's really not difficult. Work smarter, not harder.
    Cheers!

Thanks for the input & help.. I am diabetic and my sugar has been uncontrollable/unmanageable for close to a year or more now. The Dr. has helped me try a lot of different things but I got sick a year-year & a half ago, and ever since my sugar has been really high, I am in ketoacidosis. I went from my sugar running 85-110 with 4 units of insulin in the am & pm to 11 units in the am & pm and my sugar is 200+. It doesn't matter what I eat, how much I exercise, etc... I have a buddy that is in shape and is in his late 30's and looks like he is 32-33. He eats right, exercise's and just has a good metabolism. I don't know what happened, but when I got sick I had the chills, etc.. and I called the Dr. he called in a antibiotic but before I called him I was sitting in the chair watching TV and my hands and feet started feeling weird/numb, I checked my sugar and it was 480, I called the Dr. they called a antibiotic and ever since then my sugar has been unmanageable. I have been trying to cut out all kinds of foods, eat chicken, meat, fish and greens only and it still isn't helping. Before I got sick & my sugar was 80-110 w/4 units of insulin in the am & pm I weighed more than I ever have 5'8" 168lb's now with my sugar the way it is, I weigh @ 148-150 I'm having heart problems, it's skipping beats, missing beats, it feels like I'm having a heart attach all the time, etc... My buddy has been trying to help me with my diet and exercising more but it's not helping. I'm passing sugar in my urine, starting to pass blood, which probably means my kidney's are shutting down, "dialysis" which I'm not going to do, one they wont approve me for Medicaid for some reason and I have applied for SSI 3 times and been denied, I have a attorney now. I don't have the money, insurance, parents don't have the money to help me, I'm a 35 year old regular white grown adult. It doesn't make any sense that I cant get approved for at least Medicaid, when I was at the tag office getting my license plate there was a lady outside with 3 kid's, 7-8, 4-5, and one in a stroller, she started talking to me when I was putting my tag on and I told her about my situation, she said I don't know why they wont approve you, I get a check for all 3 of my kids & they have Medicaid and they are A.D.D. Do what? I have been A.D.D. since pre-school, here I am needing the Appropriate Medical attention or my lifespan will be shortened drastically, have something really wrong a life threating illness and I can't get Medicaid or SSI? The system is screwed up, all of it including the judicial system. Anyways, Thanks for the help. I am going to print this out and try to stick by what has worked for you and see if it helps.

Dan1612

Master
    ^ I am really sorry to hear about your hardship. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers while you resolve your situation.
    I will say that my first attempt at healthy eating was during my wife's gestational diabetes. The doctor gave my wife a book outlining a lot of the same strategies as what I'm using now on a daily basis, and back then, the results were almost instant and quite dramatic for both of us. I do wish she'd get onboard with me with the whole eating thing now, and hopefully she'll go to the gym with me, but that's a whole different thread.
    Also, in preparation for hitting the gym, I've also cutting back on the booze and tobacco, which feels amazing.

Top Bottom