• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody else have swarms of mosquito hawks outside their front door. Good lord, those suckers are everywhere.

If those are the things that look like the bastard offspring of a skeeter and a grand daddy longlegs, then yes.
    All over the house!

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea I hate those damn things, we leave our sliding door open a lot so our little boy can go play in our deck at his leisure and they get in quite often.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Advice Needed!! I have this Mockingbird that has been serenading me for the past 2 weeks outside my bedroom window, it wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that is usually starts during the hours of 2 and 3 AM. So far I have tried putting in helium balloons in the tree, it worked for 2 nights. Next I purchased an plastic Owl from Tractor Supply, a complete waste of 15 bucks. Last night I emptied all the BBs from my CO2 gun and thought if I gave 3 quick loud blasts it would scare the bird off and it worked long enough for me to put myself back to bed and closed my eyes. Any Suggestions on how to rid myself of this bird without cutting down the tree??

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Had the same issue this time last year, working evening shift I'd get home around 11pm and that dude would sing till at least 3 every morning. Luckily it wasn't outside my bedroom window. What I read was they are marking their territory and outside of chasing the bird off constantly or catch/release there weren't too many other options. I'll research again with you, mine has showed up again this year.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apparently the hippies have problems with them as well, here's a direct quote.
    " So you CAN give the mockingbirds the hint that they are not wanted, by being direct & rude to them, (use gestures and talk directly to them, looking at them in the eye, as to a human), like you could to any homeless person, and they will get the idea & leave. No guarantees that another mockingbird or 2 won't try again in a few months or years, given that you live in a place which they too find basically attractive."

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting to hear that I am not the only one that is having this problem or has had this problem. I suppose there is no quick solution. I wish I could just go out and pee on the problem area and make it Go Away!!

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had this problem 2 years ago and being I live in a subdivision I bought a 1000 fps Ruger Blackhawk .177 cal break action pellet gun and terminated about 10 mocking birds. That took care of the problem for me.

Top Bottom