• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FYI . . . . Was talking to a couple guys at a LGS today. Specifically about the Moss and Rem 14" non NFA guns.
    One guy that worked at the LGS that has always seemed to be "in the know" about the various BATFE laws,stated the starting a SBS build with one of these guns,even if you submitted the proper paperwork,as soon as you attached a buttstock,it STILL would be illigal.
    He went on to explain why . . . . however with me not knowing very much about these laws . . . . I still did not understand his reasoning.
    Anyone that wishes to use these guns for a SBS build should take a extremely close look at the appropriate laws. --- SAWMAN

He's mistaken, file a form 1 and sbs it. It's not foreign made so there are no 922r issues with it and you can manufacture an SBR/SBS from anything you want provided it complies with 922r if it's foreign made. It's not different than the guys SBRing mare's leg pistols or buying a 14" front end to put on their 590.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's transferred as an AOW.... which is the same way a stripped ar15 lower is transferred as....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's transferred as an AOW.... which is the same way a stripped ar15 lower is transferred as....

It transfers as "other firearm" AOW is an NFA item. It could transfer as a battleship, but when you file a form 1 you are becoming the manufacturer as if Mossberg or the shipyard never touched it. You can buy a Surbu AOW transfer it to yourself as an AOW and if you decide you want to put a stock on it you can file a form1 and manufacture it as an SBS.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It transfers as "other firearm" AOW is an NFA item. It could transfer as a battleship, but when you file a form 1 you are becoming the manufacturer as if Mossberg or the shipyard never touched it. You can buy a Surbu AOW transfer it to yourself as an AOW and if you decide you want to put a stock on it you can file a form1 and manufacture it as an SBS.
    Tomato, tomàto....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got my gun this AM. Stripped it down pretty much all the way except for the trigger group and bolt. It was completely saturated with . . . . gunk !! Wiped it all dry then reapplied a light coating of Break Free CLP.
    I buffed on it some but it needs more. I will cycle it 500 times or so,then put about 50 shots thru it,then clean it and see how it feels.
    Things I noticed - - -> There is no trigger adjustment at the rear of the trigger group like is shown on the Mossberg on line site. The action starts out pretty stiff.
    I found the grip attachment screw a little too loose for my likeing. Cleaned it and retorqued it using some blue Loc Tite. All four screws holding the strap on were loose. Will eventually adjust the strap to be tighter around the back of my hand. Removed the magazine cap sling swivel stud,swivel stud from the rear of the grip,and that extremely silly sight bead . . . . leaving me a instant "muzzle brake".
    I have owned several Mossberg 500's over the years. This gun is nothing like them. It is extremely beefy. It has a super thick walled barrel. It could be quite easily threaded if need be. --- SAWMAN

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone remember what the DRILL SEGERNT made your do calling your weapon a gun?

You only made that mistake once after running around the barracks, grabbing Gus and saying this is my gun, then while holding your weapon above your head saying this is my weapon, :usa2: :usa2: :peep: :usa2:

https://youtu.be/4kU0XCVey_U

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also - - -> have cycled it 400 times so far. After every 50 times or so cleaned the internals the best I could (without disassembly)with a dry rag and Q-Tips. This seems to be getting all the access (and there is a bunch) coating from the parts that rub together. My rag comes out black every time.
    The real plus is . . . it is becoming easier and easier to cycle. Another couple hundred cycles and it should be "broke in" (kinda like a Wilson Combat 45).
    The Op Sol fits in easily and is snug. Comes out easy also. Using the Aguilla ammo my gun holds 7+1.
    My other parts will be here on Sat. People that leave the magazine and it's parts OEM should consider buffing the outdide of the mag follower and lightly lubeing the spring and inside of mag tube. --- SAWMAN

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've taken mine out of the box and cycled it about 100 times and then put 7 rounds down the pipe, then cleaned and lubed it up. I hope with use mine cycles easier because it's still pretty stiff at the moment. After seeing your post about a couple screws not very tight I checked all mine and they seem fine.

To be completely honest, I'm not sold on the gun yet. It's a cool piece, but I'm not sure how functional it is for me. As my truck gun, or home gun, I think I would still rather reach for my 870 or maverick home defense models with full stock. The space savings for me is sort of a mute point because I have plenty of room for the above shotguns in my truck and in my room......maybe I'm just not use to it yet. Somebody help me love this thing like I should! Lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Disassembled again today and wiped the internals down. The phosphate coating is wearing with the 700+ cycles it has been put through. It is becoming extremely smooth cycling now. The mag tube is starting to look "used" where the grip rubs against it.
    Put an extremely small dab of grease on the internal parts that are getting a little shiny from metal to metal contact.
    Located some extremely low power loads that I did not remember I had. "Light Target". They are 2 3/4" but will see how they shoot. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Hey sawman you may wear it out tricking it out? :usa2 ??

Just like me keeping track of rounds fired in my rifles and pistols, Sawman is keeping records of times the action was cycled to give us an idea of how long the Mossberg will last before something is worn out. It's already exceeded my expectation. I've been thinking of getting the Remington as its steel receiver ought to last a long time, but Sawman's "action torture testing" has me rethinking it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Additional - - -> I have also cycled the Aguila Mini Shells that I have thru the gun. 7rds X 18 times = 126 shells total. Plus,I have cycled 5rds X 12 times of the 2 3/4" shells = 60 shells. I pumped the action (slammed the action)as fast as I could on all these cycles.
    On all these cycles the gun jammed twice due to my "short stroking" it.
    Typically,these guns will probably never get as much use as I have already put this gun through. These guns are not duck or dove guns. They should be expected to endure the amount of cycles/rds that the user should put it through for his appropriate amount of training. That's it. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Installed my mag follower and oversized safety this AM. The safety install was a real chore. If anybody does this,PM me first for some valuable hints. You will need three hands,or be an extremely lucky person. Me . . ? . . I was lucky.
    Picked up a great little case for $20. at the gunshow. Fits like it was made for the gun. Just enough of the grip sticks out to grab the gun to pull it out. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170715_120545.jpg
      20170715_120545.jpg
      635.8 KB · Views: 240
    • 20170715_120821.jpg
      20170715_120821.jpg
      656.1 KB · Views: 180
    • 20170715_124219.jpg
      20170715_124219.jpg
      630.1 KB · Views: 183

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a mossberg cruiser 500. It has a 18" barrel with that funky breacher tip they put on it. Its permanently attached. This model I believe is sold as pistol grip only. Or, it came from the factory with a pistol grip and has never had a stock on it. Shockwave tech sells the raptor grip for $25 and a new lug kit for $40 if I felt inclined to cut the barrel down. I handled the mossberg shockwave at the gun show and was undecided based on the grip. I plan to try the grip so if I do not like it Im only out $25. But if I do like it.
    Is there a noticeable handling or shooting difference between a 18" and 14" barrel?
    Is the 590 action a lot different/better than the 500 action?
    Pros to 14" would be lighter weight and faster target transition
    Con would be that Im stuck with raptor grip. With 18" barrel I can change to any grip without worry of being under 26" overall length

Edit. My cruiser 500 also has the nylon hand loop on the forend so the only diference I see is the grip and 4" more barrel. Which is about the size of the permanent breaching tip

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 500 is quit a bit lighter than a 590. I am not sure what individual parts are different but I do know that the bbl and its underlug (for the mag tube) are alot thicker (meatier) than the 500 guns. I would bet that 14 inches of 590 would weigh about the same as 18 inches of 500.
    But . . . . the weight would be more rearward and easier to swing,point,and control. Also,if you cut your 18" bbl down no matter the grip OR OAL it would become a NFA gun.
    For me . . . I would not want that breacher thing on the end of any bbl that I had. It adds weight,tears up anything that it comes into contact with,and does nothing for the guns pattern.
    All in all,to me,the 500 is built more for sporting purposes. They are great for that. I have owned them in the past and my wife has one in 20ga now. But the 590 is built more like a tank. It seems more like a fighting gun. A full sized 590 would be a beast.
    I reccomend that before you change your 500 around,go handle a 14" non NFA Rem or Moss. You might consider selling your gun,and putting the money towards one of these 14" guns.
    I will be at the range with mine in the AM. Will be taking several types of shells,both mini,and 2 3/4" full power and light loaded. Will shoot both buck and bird. Will post a report on this in the PM. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom