• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I will be purchasing a new gun to be my daily carry gun. I have had my eye on a sig p238 with the rosewood grips. Now I am thinking of getting a glock. I carry inside my waist band and generally just wear a t shirt. I have never handled a smaller glock but have fired the sig a few times. Which model of glock would I be looking for? I like .45 as I already have a pile of that caliber but I am not averse to 380 or something else. Plus I am active duty so I can get the discount on glock. I'm open to suggestions of other guns as well.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It sounds like you're probably looking for the Glock 36, which is a .45 single stack gun, or the Glock 30, which is a double stack .45. As far as I know, glock doesn't make anything near as small as the Sig 238, so there isn't really an apples to apples comparison that I am aware of.

I swap around what I carry, but its usually a 238, 938 or a shorty 1911. I have to tuck my shirt in at work, so the gun being slim is important for concealment though.

If I didn't have to tuck, I would carry something double stack with a higher capacity, there are so many good holsters on the market today that its pretty comfortable to conceal even a full sized, all metal gun with a 18 round mag like my p226 riding in a leather / kydex hybrid holster.

Austin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is caliber kind of making you lean more towards a glock? It's hard to beat the size and overall feel of the P238. I just picked one up and love it. Plus, its practically a mini 1911. If you were looking for a glock 45 to carry, roll with the Glock 36. As far as 9mm, there are a ton of options. The Sig 938 is the bigger brother of the P238 but in 9mm. The Kimber Solo Cary is a great size as well. Some guys swear by the Kel-Tec PF9 as a truck/carry gun, yet a lot question a Kel Tec's reliability. Kahr makes great little guns too. Don't forget about the S&W Shield in 9mm or .40, or the XDS in .45.

Truth is, there is a TON of options. Go to the shops and hold them all, see what feels good to you. There is also the gun show this weekend, but I'm not sure how crazy the prices will be there.. I will say, I decided on the P238 due to the ability to carry it anyway I want very easily. A shorts pocket will be what I'll go with in the Summer. Let us know what you decide on! Like someone told me the other day referring to the 380 round.. "People say it can't put someone down, but nobody has been willing to let me test it out on them yet!"

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's the difference in the 36 and the 36sf? I have no issues with a 380 gun I was just soliciting opinions here. I've always wanted a glock and a sig but one must come before the other!

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    36 is 45 acp in compact 36 SF= Slim frame(single stack) so not as wide
    I think I got it right LOL

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pt 2... I just got the 938 Sig..I love it, its like a Micro 1911 (which is my most favorite pistol) in 9MM... Lightweight and I prefer the 9MM over 380...better penetration than a 380. And fits my hand a lil better (I held both)..Shot a 1911 most of my life so this was an easy transition.
    loaded with 9mm Critical defense it will do what I need. But its what you feel best with really. What handles best as far as overall fit feel/natural aim and comfort and what caliber you prefer this is the choices you have to make for you. JMHO

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    36 is 45 acp in compact 36 SF= Slim frame(single stack) so not as wide
    I think I got it right LOL
    You were close haha. The Glock 30 comes in standard size and in a SF model as well. Then there is the G36, no such thing as a G36 SF. Then there is the new G30 S which is basically a 36 slide on a 30 frame. I have owned all models accept the new 30 S, but I have owned a 30 and a 36 at the same time and I switched out slides to make a 30 S which I carried often. I found the standard 30 one of the best shooting 45's Ive ever shot, only second to my 21 which is the sweetest shooting 45 out there IMO. Clear as mud?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For IWB, most people prefer a single stack gun for comfort. Thick bricks are a little more uncomfortable to carry for most people.

Donkey_McWedges

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it helps I pocket carry a glock 26 pretty easy. At first its feels to big but after a week I don't even notice its there.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    g26 beats all carry guns

Mine prints quite a bit when I try to wear it with tucked in shirt at work... Gives me a "is that a tumor on your hip, or are you just carrying a gun?" kinda look about me.

Austin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    g26 beats all carry guns

Believe it or not, but there are a ton of slimmer, more comfortable options in the 9mm caliber or above.. G26 was the gun to have a couple years ago, but just about every company has stepped their game up! The thing is, most of the slimmer, more concealable options are a single stack mag, and G26 has most of them beat in magazine capacity. To each his own!

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just picked up a Taurus Slim 9 and it's very comfortable. I need to sight it in more but over all for the money I'm very pleased with it. I'm a Taurus fan tho.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ive had the shield/xds/pps//709

the single stacks are just as heavy, hold less, and are really not that much smaller (besides the kahr)

the 26 shoots same as a 17, with the ability to throw in a 33rd mag and go on a spree :)

i always sell my single stack turds and go back to glock

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

the single stacks are just as heavy, hold less, and are really not that much smaller (besides the kahr)

the 26 shoots same as a 17, with the ability to throw in a 33rd mag and go on a spree :)
    There is not a single true statement in there.

A 26 and a 17 weigh roughly 6 oz apart when completely loaded.

The 17 and the 26 shoot and handle very different.

If you are looking for a comfortable carry, just get a single stack, you will not even know that you are carrying. I've tried them all I think, shield, cw40, Glock 19, 26, 27, 30, and I am completely comfortable with my Sig p238.

Donkey_McWedges

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Master chief, I've carried a 5 shot 357, a Sw bodyguard 380, single stack 9mms. I find its all in how you dress. I used to ride my Suzuki 650ss all the time and never noticed the g26. You are not going to wear a pair of "skinny jeans" and expect to carry a k frame around. I personally find colored cargo pants (black, tan, whatever) work well and they look kinda dressy as well with a nice shirt. I think what the other guy ment as to the similarities of the 26-17 was using 17 mags in a 26. But hey the beauty of cc is everyone is different with their own ideas on how they want to do it. I'm just glad of the number of cc we have here in Florida.

T

tinman

i always sell my single stack turds and go back to glock

What did you think of the PPS? Really like the look and feel of it and would love to get one later in the year.

bfisher1970

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are considering the P238 and are used to a 1911 I would go for a P938.
    Almost exactly the same size and much better stopping power.
    I've had both Sigs and a G26 and recently switched to a Kahr CM9.
    The Glock is chunky. The Sigs and the Kahr are very easy to conceal.
    I prefer the Kahr simply because it is the same size as the P938 and there is nothing to remember... just point and pull the trigger. If you are not used to a thumb safety that may be a better way to go.

Last edited:

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry a glock 23 everywhere everyday,was actually the first pistol I purchased.I do so because of reliability factors and the point and shoot quickness it offers.I am not starting the glock vs 1911 showdown but anyone who is familiar with carrying and effectivly opperating a 1911 will tell you for comfort sake alone the compact 1911's are hard to beat.

ford

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I carry a Glock 29sf with a pinky extender and absolutely love it. I picked up barrels in .357sig, .40SW & 9x25 Dillon thus giving me 4 calibers in one platform at a far more reasonable price then buying 4 seperate guns. I have the stopping power of the 10mm rd and the ability to go to the range and practice/play with the cheaper stuff. Having the different barrels also doesn't lock me into only one caliber if I need ammo thus it makes it easier to find ammo if I need it. Not sure if there is a range around here that rents different guns out to use but if there is this would be a way for you to get an idea of which gun and caliber you prefer. The best ccw gun is the one that you WILL carry and feel comfortable with. A lot of folks own ccw guns but don't like one thing or another about them and thus a lot of times don't carry them, so a $1k + S&W Subcompact 1911 is useless if you don't carry it. Get your hands on as many as you can so you can make an informed decision. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck.

Top Bottom