• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just Lookin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I always fill up all my 5 gal cans with non- ethanol gas, swap out my empty propane gas cylinders' early in the season avoiding the rush and lines at gas stations. If gasoline isn't needed for storms, it goes into my truck, and the propane don't go bad. We always have bottled water and stuff like that. extra chain oil for 2cyl oil too if you use that kind of chainsaw. It was hard to find after Ivan.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can also use the old oil from your generator as chain oil. If my memory is correct, you’re supposed to change the oil every 50 hours of run time.
    Basically I have been told that any of basic motor oils can be used for bar oil.

I have been told you can also use such for the fuel mixture. But, I usually buy a package or sleeve of small plastic thingies that are enough to mix a gallon each and that lasts for a time.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Basically I have been told that any of basic motor oils can be used for bar oil.

I have been told you can also use such for the fuel mixture. But, I usually buy a package or sleeve of small plastic thingies that are enough to mix a gallon each and that lasts for a time.
    Used atf in a pinch. Seemed ok.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I do the same. I don’t think I would use old engine oil in the mixture, just for chain oil.

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    9,000 watt generator set up w/ transfer switch panel. I run generator for about 20 min under partial load once a month, rotate out fuel every year, keep plenty of food staples and water on hand. Permanently mounted Bahama storm shutters (takes less than 20 min to shutter up house with no ladders or tools required) Gas stove and oven. Trash receptacles stencilled w/ address. Always do ALL your laundry and dry it before hurricane hits!
    You mean to tell me that you have shutters on your house that actually function as shutters?
    That's just crazy. What if the big box stores find out? Be careful.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We had the generator people out here to do the annual service this past week, and we bought new bottled water packs. Our pantry stays stocked with about 5 days of food pretty much full time.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’ll be hitting my local Sam’s this month - ahead of the season opener June 1. Top of the list is bottled H2O and those Cajun boiled peanuts. Darn things are addictive. My Bride likes adding a pinch of crab boil and capful of liquid smoke when we pop them into the crockpot.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Went to Sam’s yesterday and bought a 10,000 BTU portable AC they have on sale. So now I have a 8,000 window unit and this 10,000 roll around.
    The 5,250 window unit just wasn’t enough for our big bed room.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    While I always have food for a while, adding a little more of long shelf life food can’t hurt.

While I feel 4Patriots products are expensive and their ads drone on and on, they had a buy one week and get two more weeks free special + a military discount, so the cost was reasonable. It arrived today. 25 year storage life if kept at 75 degrees or less. All stuff I’d like to eat.

Finished the 6 month rotation of stored water. Dogs, cats, and goats drink it so none is wasted.

IMG_0255.jpeg

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I always have food for a while, adding a little more of long shelf life food can’t hurt.

While I feel 4Patriots products are expensive and their ads drone on and on, they had a buy one week and get two more weeks free special + a military discount, so the cost was reasonable. It arrived today. 25 year storage life if kept at 75 degrees or less. All stuff I’d like to eat.

Finished the 6 month rotation of stored water. Dogs, cats, and goats drink it so none is wasted.

View attachment 285452
    Is that the box of weird high-calorie food cubes?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Is that the box of weird high-calorie food cubes?
    No. Appears to be freeze dried. Packages have similar instructions like open pouch, remove oxygen absorber, how much boiling water to use, how long to cook/stir, how many servings. Because several servings per pouch, I’d need to refrigerate leftovers…no problem as I can run fridge and microwave via solar electric. Pouches feel like the contents, not cubes.

Mac and cheese, oatmeal, rice and vegetables, stew, energy drink. Stuff I’d eat. Stuff to help one get by.

Now that I’ve read the directions, a better way to heat more water may be advisable for my situation if the grid is down, as while I have some off grid solar, it’s not 240 volts as used by the stove.

Any recommendations on one of those rocket type stoves that you use small sticks and pieces of wood in?

IMG_0256.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    So I’m looking at camping stoves when it suddenly occurs to me: simply buy a $13 hot plate. I have multiple ways to generate electricity for it. So it’s not efficient, who cares as long as the desired end is met.
    We bought a Blackstone griddle. Runs on small bottles or the 5 gallon. Works great, southern habichi.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You mean to tell me that you have shutters on your house that actually function as shutters?
    That's just crazy. What if the big box stores find out? Be careful.
    I made my shutters out of 3/4" treated ply wood with the hinges secured with J-bolts into concrete. I will even bolt plywood over most of the doors to protect the glass of the storm doors. I leave some on the lee ward side of the house uncovered so I can get out.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    North S.R. County. 9 hours now with no power. Per the EREC web site, 10,xxx of their 12,xxx customers without power and no power has been restored. No fiber optic either. My off grid electric and batteries are working fine. Not much sun, but I’m getting 2-3 hundred watts of solar coming in. No 240 volt equipment can be run, but all 120 volt stuff can be run.

Top Bottom