• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    DANG, is that the only option in nj for home protection ? a 30-06 rifle from ww1? guess you could fix bayonet and beat someone to death with it... kind of cumbersome.
    the upstairs gun was a 300 winmag and the den gun was an AK 47 ,i am dialing back with the 357 in fla lol

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the upstairs gun was a 300 winmag and the den gun was an AK 47 ,i am dialing back with the 357 in fla lol
    if i touched a 300 winmag off in the house, 6 dogs , wife, and 2 cats would never be the same again....and my ears too. cause you don't normally have ear protection on at 0200

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    38 Special or 38 Special +P if you must would be a practical option. before you go all in on 357 you should touch one or two off at an indoor range. I think you will make the prudent choose. When you ask about defensive load I thought you meant for hunting in areas known for dangerous game up close.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Folks please this is not my first handgun ,just asking what is the latest flavor of the month in 357 hot loads that is all thank you . Let me worry about my wife,my ears and my eye sight the dog and multiple attackers.

Did you think you could ask that question without giving members a chance to bloviate? You have tapped into an enormous amount of hard earned experience and useful information on this forum when you ask any question. The replys you received come at a price. There are what 11, 12 thousand members on this forum. You have a ways to go before you're off the hook for the free information you received. You want free information ask your preacher or find it on U-Tube. You want clicks you'll get information but you'll also get bluster. Ta Da

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Problem is current 357 ammo is downloaded compared to years ago . The old Federal red box 357B load with the 125gr Hyshok JHP was the one-shot wonder back in the day . Expansion was violent . Overpenetration on felonious bipeds is the 357's biggest problem regardless of bullet choice . All that said your best bet for factory push the envelope loads will be the botique stuff like Underwood , Buffalo Bore etc . Or do like the rest of us & roll yer own . I've got loads that I shoot in a Blackhawk that'd shoot a S&W or Colt loose / out of time in 2,000 rounds or less . You should see some of the 38 / 44 level 38 special loads I shoot from a 1953 S&W pre-model 23 Outdoorsman . Can push the Elmer Keith designed 170gr SWC an honest 1400fps 6.5" barrel . Look at the ballastics of the original pre-WWII 357 Mag loads & compare them with todays published data . PM me for further discussion .

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I too love recoil and muzzle blast. Hottest .357 I can find is the 158gr +P+ from Georgia Arms. Two feet of muzzle blast flame and shooters from either side of me at the range come over and say, what the hell was that lol. Unfortunately a check of their website shows they suffered a fire and are shut down at the moment. Anyone know specifics?

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Problem is current 357 ammo is downloaded compared to years ago . The old Federal red box 357B load with the 125gr Hyshok JHP was the one-shot wonder back in the day . Expansion was violent . Overpenetration on felonious bipeds is the 357's biggest problem regardless of bullet choice . All that said your best bet for factory push the envelope loads will be the botique stuff like Underwood , Buffalo Bore etc . Or do like the rest of us & roll yer own . I've got loads that I shoot in a Blackhawk that'd shoot a S&W or Colt loose / out of time in 2,000 rounds or less . You should see some of the 38 / 44 level 38 special loads I shoot from a 1953 S&W pre-model 23 Outdoorsman . Can push the Elmer Keith designed 170gr SWC an honest 1400fps 6.5" barrel . Look at the ballastics of the original pre-WWII 357 Mag loads & compare them with todays published data . PM me for further discussion .
    THANK YOU

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep, factory ammo is loaded weak. 10mm vs 40sw is a good example. The numbers for factory 10mm are just a hair higher than the factory 40sw. Sucks. If you want magnum force your gonna have to reload unless you buy the underwood, Buffalo stuff. Ymmv

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    THANK YOU
    Current Buffalo Bore loads : 19C 158 JHP 357 Heavy 1,398fps from a 3" S&W Model 65 , 19D 125gr JHP Heavy 1,476fps from same 3" S&W 65 . Real world m/v's not Youtube bs . Hotter u on yer own & get a Ruger . Problem you'll have with these level loads is keeping that Python in time .

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Current Buffalo Bore loads : 19C 158 JHP 357 Heavy 1,398fps from a 3" S&W Model 65 , 19D 125gr JHP Heavy 1,476fps from same 3" S&W 65 . Real world m/v's not Youtube bs . Hotter u on yer own & get a Ruger . Problem you'll have with these level loads is keeping that Python in time .
    thank you ,it wont get a steady diet of hot stuff

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My .02 cents is when I was daily carrying a .357 (Ruger SP-101) I shot an IDPA match or two with it. At the time I was using Remington 110g SJHP and it was comfortable enough to shoot in competition. Running through a competition (or simulated) should give you a good idea of whether they will be good for carry.

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I keep some Triton Quick-Shoks in my model 19-2 beside the bed. I would be happy with gold dots, FTX, etc these days. I must be getting old because I just looked at my 1911 and it is loaded with Corbon 165 JHP and a spare mag of Golden Sabers lol. It might be time for some new ammo.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep some Triton Quick-Shoks in my model 19-2 beside the bed. I would be happy with gold dots, FTX, etc these days. I must be getting old because I just looked at my 1911 and it is loaded with Corbon 165 JHP and a spare mag of Golden Sabers lol. It might be time for some new ammo.
    lol thanks ,i guess i am older i was thinking lee jurass super vel ammo

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I must be getting old because I just looked at my 1911 and it is loaded with Corbon 165 JHP and a spare mag of Golden Sabers lol. It might be time for some new ammo.
    I don't feel so old...but maybe I am. I have Super Vel....my 1911 Carry has Corbon 185gr DPX and the back up is Talons

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom