• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a rave to give.

Cheddar's at U Mall. I'm very impressed.

Wife and I wanted a good late lunch today. Didn't want the usual. I'm also burned out on Chilis, Ruby Tuesday's and the like. We settled on Cheddar's. I was afraud it would be another cookie cutter "hip" place like the aforementioned Chili's and such.

Nope. Much better and varied menu. I actually had a hard time trying to decide what to order versus picking what I would settle for.

Wife had Bourbon glazed salmon with Broccoli Cheddar casserole and Cole slaw. I had a chicken shrimp dish on rice with a sort of pineapple salsa.

Everything tasted fantastic, I mean not just good, but surprisingly better than anything similar elsewhere.

The prices actually seem a little lower than local averages.

I am definitely gonna hit that place again soon!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Cheddars does have some good food and a variety of items to choose from. I have eaten there a couple times since they have been open. Service was lacking when I was there. Hopefully, they have resolved that issue.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to Cubs Crawfish on 98 for the first time today. Had crawfish and they were great. Hole in the wall - people friendly kinda place. Might be the last crawfish for the year, I know we took the last 10 lbs they had today....

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    James, we had an awesome waiter, Ken. I meant to mention that too. He was just fantastic.

I also thought it was cool that they have video playing on one of the big screens showing how all dishes are prepared, even down to specialty drinks.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to Cubs Crawfish on 98 for the first time today. Had crawfish and they were great. Hole in the wall - people friendly kinda place. Might be the last crawfish for the year, I know we took the last 10 lbs they had today....

I need to get my crawfish on before it's too late.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    if still in business, the coastal resturant on hwy 98, in panacea, way east of pan cy, on the southside of the road, jams....AYCE specials..

fhpdo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to eat at the Coastal often when I lived in Crawfordville... Great Food and Great Prices ! I wish I could find something similar around Pace/Pensacola.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just got back from 3-D burger on hwy. 29 across from W st... Very good burger and the ladies had a BLT, excellent bacon I might add. Priced reasonable and staff was nice. Might have a new burger spot going.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to the Perdido Key Oyster Bar tonight for the first time in at least 8 years. Just don't get out that way much anymore.

It was first rate. Didn't care for the Cole slaw but I like a different style of that anyway. Scallops were the tastiest I've had in years. Shrimp huge and tender, oysters about the same.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a rave to give.

Cheddar's at U Mall. I'm very impressed.

Wife and I wanted a good late lunch today. Didn't want the usual. I'm also burned out on Chilis, Ruby Tuesday's and the like. We settled on Cheddar's. I was afraud it would be another cookie cutter "hip" place like the aforementioned Chili's and such.

Nope. Much better and varied menu. I actually had a hard time trying to decide what to order versus picking what I would settle for.

Wife had Bourbon glazed salmon with Broccoli Cheddar casserole and Cole slaw. I had a chicken shrimp dish on rice with a sort of pineapple salsa.

Everything tasted fantastic, I mean not just good, but surprisingly better than anything similar elsewhere.

The prices actually seem a little lower than local averages.

I am definitely gonna hit that place again soon!

Me and my wife like Cheddar's. Good food, but it's even better considering that the price is lower than expected.

At at Ozone's today. Good stuff. Got the calzone. Probably will stick with the pizza there next time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Beulah has gotta do something about places to eat and other places to get gas,fast food(NO Mc Doggie I'm hoping),and the like. The other day when I was out that way I could not believe how big NavFed was getting. Was easily 200 workers out there. Where do they eat,sleep,drink,get gas,etc,etc. I have heard "rumors" of ultimately how many full and part time employees they will have. THOUSANDS !! sez a buddy's wife that works there.

Let's see. Out that way people need services. There is tons of open land. Don't see too much new construction going on other than NavFed. WUZZUPWITDAT !!

Oh and ........ would love to be the owner of that Tom Thumb at Beulah Rd. They need to expand to the tune of the one at 29 and Atmore Rd. --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's about to happen Saw. There's a lot more construction than NFCU. Large neighborhoods on Beulah Rd., Mobile Hwy. and off the beaten path. I know several property owners in zoned areas that are pretty much just holding back and watching the bidding wars. I agree though, wish we would start seeing something, but please, PLEASE, not a McDonald's.

The Mexican food van at the RV park did well for a while but it's demise was more an infighting thing amongst the owner and operator. Breaking Bread would have worked at some point but I think it was probably two years too early.

I won't go into details here (Saw already knows the sordid details) but my wife opened a restaurant out here in 2009. It lasted about 8 months. Several reasons why it wasn't succesful but the clientele wasn't there and operating expenses too high. What I saw though was that the take out end of it was busier than dine-in. The locals don't really care about going out to eat on a regular basis as much as grab and go. If we want a sit down meal Ensley/Pine Forest isn't that far. The area will be able to support restaurants soon but I will take a stab and say 2017.

They already expanded TT once but yeah, it needs to go up to the next level. I moved out here in 2006 and that store wasn't very busy. Even after expansion, it's now a madhouse during lunch hours and immediately after work. Most of those customers at lunch are construction guys working on NFCU, utilities or developments.

I think I know the kind of restaurant that would work out here right now but let's just say I would rather have jumper cables clamped on my Johnson while locked in a walk in freezer than ever get involved in food service again.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lets see ....... a buffet style KFC,a Whataburger,a Burger King,a couple of smallish buffet's. The small mom and pop kind. Three entree's,a chioce of three veggies,some damn good cornbread or rolls,maybe two deserts,sweet tea,Coke,Pepsi,etc. Not much to offer soooooooo not too high of price. Saaaaaaaaay $6.25-$6,95 or so. Fast service,sweet waitresses('belle ??),and FRIENDLY. Is that too damned much to ask ?? --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was thinking something like Charlie's downtown. Small buffet, 2 entrees that change daily, 4 or 5 veggies, desert, maybe rolls, definitely cornbread.

What a burger would be good.

No KFC, that place is overpriced and sucks. Popeyes good. Zaxby's would be good but they just put one up in Ensley.

Someone said that Sonny's was going up out here but I can't see that, too close to the other one. A Great China would be excellent, like the one by Publix. A Fran's Diner. A Chets run by the guy on Navy, NOT the one in Pace. A Grover's.

I will completely crap myself if they put a damned Starbuck's out here. Screw them.

Hopefully soon something will show up.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If they put a Whataburger in I hope it's better then the one off 9mile in Ensley. The burgers use to be edible but lately they are cold as ice, even McDonald's is better and that stuff is only good if your constipated and need relief.

I find it hard to believe that the chain food places have taken over this area and left very few mom & pop diners it's truly sad.

It seems there are very few places to get a good hot dog, chili dog, or cheeseburger,onion rings & fries other then the chain crap and maybe Grover's.

Hell I figured down here you'd even get a great chef salad, But sadly we haven't found one. What we find is some iceberg lettuce, with a few slices of tomato, maybe 3 cucumber slices and a slice or two of ham and pepperoni.

I'm use to a chef salad being a bed of iceberg lettuce, a layer of tomato, cucumber, red onion, carrots, olives, red roasted peppers, topped with slices of ham, turkey or chicken, salami, and pepperoni, & cheese usually provolone or Swiss, and sometimes even some roast beef.

Up home that was a regular chef salad and cost about $9 but it made two meals. I'd pay even a few bucks more to find it down here.

Won't even get started about pizza it just plain sucks down here.

But I won't close bitching about foods I miss . I will say the shrimp are cheaper and tastier, and some of the barbecue is good and we never got to much barbecue up north.

I have found some good places to eat and mostly because you guys suggested the places.

Thank You.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I eat a salad at least once every day and yessir, there isn't many places with good ones. I get the quesadilla explosion at Chili's and the Blue salad at Zaxby's. I really don't care if it has meat in it but the vegetables have to be fresh. Higher end restaurants have good salad of course. I've actually gotten a Chefs salad at Waffle House that was OK.

Hotdogs: Windy City Dogs used to be the best by far. The owner was from Chicago and I ate there the day he closed to move back. He gave me the name of the company that he bought his dogs from but i dont remember now. They were in Chicago and you could order a case from them he said. I may do a search and see if I can track him down. He also had excellent sauerkraut and french fries.

Years ago there was a guy that had one of those hot dog trailers and would park at various location. His were about as good as Windy City and I suspect he ordered his dogs out of state too.

Pizza, I can only draw from local experience. The best locally in my opinion is Figero's on Pine Forest Rd. Haven't been in Geno's in 20 years but they seem to be liked by the locals.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The best dogs I found down here are not hot dogs but kielbasa and they are served at Farm Fresh Meats up in Robertsdale off the food cart they have.

They serve 3 types of grilled kielbasa, Cajun, Old Tyme, and my favorite German. They have most of the fixings like sauerkraut, chili, cheese, onions and a few different chow chow mixes.

They also have regular hot dogs and pulled pork sandwiches and sweet tea.

We splurge on payday weekends and head up to fill the freezer with great meats they sell and have lunch then it's up to Burris farms for fresh produce and if we have any room left either bread pudding and ice cream or cobbler and ice cream from their bakery.

After that it's home for a well deserved nap.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I think the rent must be too high on the resturant in beulah, but quite frankly the food wasn't that good, to be polite. and service kind of off too. If Sean would go 50/50 we could open a coffee (RoastersGallery) shop and hamburger / hot dog joint ! ( you'll be needing a job soon, and I got some jumper cables!)

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When Mr. and Mrs. Dickhead owned the restaurant building the rent was higher than you can imagine, and not just in money. I shall refrain tonight from going off on yet another rant about those two scumbags. They do owe me about $12,000 best I can determine. However, they sold the place to Beau and he has it up for lease I believe.

And no D-man, I shall not participate in the food service industry in any capacity again. Ever. Never ever. I shall box you about the ears and head if you ever attempt to get me involved in a restaurant, hot dog stand, diner, even a portable smoker on the street corner. I would rather have my nuts crushed in a vice, I would rather gnaw off my own arm. I can think of a long, nasty list of things I would do before I ever step foot around any food preparation except for my kitchen or backyard deck again.

Did I mention never ever?

I'm not losing my job though, just moving to a new location. If I ever find myself needing employment however I have offers. None of them though involve anything near food. Did I mention I won't ever be involved in food again from a retail perspective? Never ever?

Top Bottom