• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And for some reason, the exact same loads have different charge weights for the same powders. Depends on who they got their information from. I mean I've seen the recipes for the exact same wieght bullet and same powder vary by as much as 2 grains.

Compare which brass they specify for their loads. Case capacities vary between brands and types which will account for the powder charge difference.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question.... it's been asked before with all kinds of answers. Kaferhaus had some good benchrest advice and another great member here, benchrest
    has added more to my knowledge. I'm currently stuffing my bullets into the lands and then backing off .010. I had some pretty good results yesterday through my Winchester .243.... Where do you start and finish?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used a Stony Point modified case and the tool to adjust the bullet. I would start short and work my way out until I saw evidence of rifling, then back off the .010.

Rick

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What type of bullet are you jumping .010. I have had success jumping the 105 Berger hybrid at .012 over 42.6 grains of h4350 out of 6 creedmoor. A general rule of thumb for Bergers is to jam the VLD's and jump the hybrids. Bullets like the VLD with a secant ogive are very sensitive to seating depth. Tangent ogives are not as sensitive. Some are jumping the hybrids as much as .150.

tphooks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what do you think about lyman 49th i am just getting back into reloading i have been out of time for along time and a friend said this was a good manual to start with but i will get a lee abc one also i guess you can never have to many manuals and what tumbler media do you like walnut or corn cob

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what do you think about lyman 49th i am just getting back into reloading i have been out of time for along time and a friend said this was a good manual to start with but i will get a lee abc one also i guess you can never have to many manuals and what tumbler media do you like walnut or corn cob

Just sign up for loaddata.com yearly dues not that back to have all the current loading data you'll ever need :hippie:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i'm with Wobbert on this one. if you already know how to reload,and you do not need all the instructional material in the manuals,just join loaddata. i have been a member there for three years now. thousands of loads from every book out there,on every chambering known to man. --- SAWMAN

tphooks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    does any body have a rough idea of how many say .270 win loads i can get out of 8lbs of powder and the same idea for say .40cal pistol just a rough guess would be great in helping make up my mind on ordering that much powder because my wife and daughter love to shoot as much as i do and i am just getting back into reloading after 18years so i need all the advice i can get i just got in my lyman 49th reloading manual and my lee abc of reloading is do in any day now and tumbler media corn cob Vs walnut

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    does any body have a rough idea of how many say .270 win loads i can get out of 8lbs of powder and the same idea for say .40cal pistol just a rough guess would be great in helping make up my mind on ordering that much powder because my wife and daughter love to shoot as much as i do and i am just getting back into reloading after 18years so i need all the advice i can get i just got in my lyman 49th reloading manual and my lee abc of reloading is do in any day now and tumbler media corn cob Vs walnut

There are 7000 grains per pound of powder, so you'll divide 56000 (8lbs) by the charge weight per cartridge. For instance, I use 3.2 gr of Titegroup in my 9mm, so 56000/3.2 = 17,500 rounds of ammo per 8rnds of powder. Your particular charge weight per cartridge can vary greatly depending on the powder/bullet weight used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    depends on what type of bullet. Berger recommends starting with the bullet touching the lands. I use a dermal and cut a slot one both sides of a case halfway down the shoulder. I paint mine red. I make one for every caliber I load and keep record of each kind of bullet used in that gun. ( as they will all be different) Make sure there are no burs. hand place a bullet in neck just far enough to hold. carefully, feed chamber and close bolt. don't let case or bullet touch side of chamber when extracting. put the calipers to it, 3 time in a row at the same spec your good to go. Berger states to start buy, the overall length and add .010 this is your jam starting point. 3 rounds @ .001- .003 just off the lands. 3 rounds @ - .010 off oal 3 rounds @. 050 3 rounds @090 and 3 rounds @ .130. one of these groups should jump out as leader. I believe the article was "making LVD bullets shoot" from Berger's head engineer ( for what its worth). my particular 308 is .004 off the lands and 43 grains of varget. W/ 168 grain vld groups went from 1-1.25 to .33 - .50 cheers

tphooks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks guy that give me an idea of what i am looking at that will make my ladies happy because that means alot more range time for them and quite time for me when i am reloading haha

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there any local shops that sell 243 bullets? Im looking for 90gr+ to load with IMR 4350.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    New question here. Ill be handloading for 5.56. What would be a good bullet weight and powder for 300 yards and less. Looking to just shoot small groups and some plinking around not hunting or anything like that. It will be out of a WOA 18" barrel on an AR platform.

Thanks
    Doc

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    New question here. Ill be handloading for 5.56. What would be a good bullet weight and powder for 300 yards and less. Looking to just shoot small groups and some plinking around not hunting or anything like that. It will be out of a WOA 18" barrel on an AR platform.

Thanks
    Doc

What twist barrel?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks
    Doc

Every rifle is different. What one likes an identical one may not. Only by testing different bullets, powder and charges will you narrow it down. That said, I'm a firm believer in Sierra matchkings and the accuracy load data in their manual. Has served me well and is at least a good benchmark to start.

Personally I would start with 55gr BTHP, 62gr and 69gr. I've always had good results with the 69ers but I shoot a 1/7 twist. Winchester 748 is about the best all around 5.56 powder but whatever the Sierra manual says for that bullet weight is what I'd try. For me it was 26 grs of 748 and the 69ers that gave the best accuracy.

Rick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom